Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Who makes the cores? Are there just 2 huge ones?
2 big cores.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another piece of the puzzle showed up today....only took 20 wks

Joe Van Overbeek carbon fiber pro-stock wing

Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice. Is that the one Koehler runs?

20 weeks is outrageous. Nothing should take 20 weeks to turn around no matter how busy someone is. Jesus
Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White.Lightning

20 weeks is outrageous. Nothing should take 20 weeks to turn around no matter how busy someone is. Jesus
yup....same wing.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

Gonna be badass !!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning

welcome to the race cars parts world-unless you are a big dollar guy-this stuff takes a long time.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. Does it attach to the hatch only or to the bumper/hatch?

David
Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Looks great. Does it attach to the hatch only or to the bumper/hatch?

David
it attaches to the body on firebirds
Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
it attaches to the body on firebirds
Thats cool, so no supports to the bumper? Thats a nice looking piece! I have a Camaro and the only wing out there I can find that has no bumper supports is the racecraft wing. I like that carbon wing better, but 20 weeks, thats how long KB took to make my block...
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Thats cool, so no supports to the bumper? Thats a nice looking piece! I have a Camaro and the only wing out there I can find that has no bumper supports is the racecraft wing. I like that carbon wing better, but 20 weeks, thats how long KB took to make my block...
it uses supports.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fireball
finally worked on something turbo related

Started mounting the new monster intercooler....its mounted in the back just need to fab up something to support the front...

nice intercooler...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

At what point is an intercooler that big really needed? I mean I saw one in a 69 camaro last weekend with a gear driven F3 procharger on it with a BBC. It had to be making some BIG steam, the one pass I saw it run it went 4.68 @ like 168 or something nuts like that.

I think the intercooler is going inside my car... probably behind the passenger's seat. Just not sure at what point one that big is really needed.

Also.. I've asked before, but never got an answer, at what point is the charge pipe need to be 3.5 to 4 inch, and at what point is the total overall length of the charge pipes become an issue, or does it? While I'm asking... can you step up from the blower outlet, say if it's 3 inch can I go to 3.5 without causing a problem, ir should that remain the same as the blower?

Educate me please
Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
At what point is an intercooler that big really needed? I mean I saw one in a 69 camaro last weekend with a gear driven F3 procharger on it with a BBC. It had to be making some BIG steam, the one pass I saw it run it went 4.68 @ like 168 or something nuts like that.

I think the intercooler is going inside my car... probably behind the passenger's seat. Just not sure at what point one that big is really needed.

Also.. I've asked before, but never got an answer, at what point is the charge pipe need to be 3.5 to 4 inch, and at what point is the total overall length of the charge pipes become an issue, or does it? While I'm asking... can you step up from the blower outlet, say if it's 3 inch can I go to 3.5 without causing a problem, ir should that remain the same as the blower?

Educate me please
There are 2 different types of cores available. The older style and the new dense style. The new style offer smaller packaging but at reduced cooling efficiency with less pressure drop. The larger ones cool better and have slightly more pressure drop.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Race your car!

So what is the preferance, or is it application specific?

Sounds like I'd be o.k. with the newer style ones, just get one for a little higher power level then I need, I don't expect to break the 1500 hp mark, so that being said one with a 2000 hp capacity, probably plenty with the newer style cooler?

What abotu water capacity? 5 gallons enough, that enough room for enough ice for a run or 2(drain the water and refill with ice once back in the pits after every run I figured)
Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I only run 5gal. Used about 15lb ice per run. the higher efficiency cores need a sh%t-ton of waterflow
Old 04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

got a little bit more done...

fabbed up some mounts to support the front of the intercooler (its now complete)

trimmed some areas on the wing to make it fit the car better (so I can use piano hinge to mount to the car). Also located the rear wicker and have it partially installed
Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

So what is the preferance, or is it application specific?

Sounds like I'd be o.k. with the newer style ones, just get one for a little higher power level then I need, I don't expect to break the 1500 hp mark, so that being said one with a 2000 hp capacity, probably plenty with the newer style cooler?

What abotu water capacity? 5 gallons enough, that enough room for enough ice for a run or 2(drain the water and refill with ice once back in the pits after every run I figured)
All you need to do is call someone like Chiseled or sponsors, they will set you up. 5 gal. tank is good, and a tranny cooler while your at it. I believe in going bigger than you need, leave room to grow. The pipe length, I have seen it all the way to the trunk with no issue, you might lose a little more boost. In general, the A2W with 4" pipe doesn't really lose to much, I think I remember around a pound or so with it in the passenger seat.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

got just a little bit done this weekend...

got the windshield gussets finish welded...this should 100% wrap up the cage stuff...just need to get it certified now

mounted the wing to the car...still need to order the wing struts and dual parachute mount stuff.

I'm kinda intrigued with summit racing's new line of basecoat/clearcoat paint system...Up to now I've only shot PPG and Dupont...but I'm thinking of giving this stuff a try...I really like this color they offer "Killer Gray". The whole system (primer, color, clear + reducers and activators) is only ~500 bux

Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by DanZ28
All you need to do is call someone like Chiseled or sponsors, they will set you up. 5 gal. tank is good, and a tranny cooler while your at it. I believe in going bigger than you need, leave room to grow. The pipe length, I have seen it all the way to the trunk with no issue, you might lose a little more boost. In general, the A2W with 4" pipe doesn't really lose to much, I think I remember around a pound or so with it in the passenger seat.

What about tubing size, at what point is the 4 inch tubing needed vs say 3.5 or 4? what if the blower outlet is smaller tehn 4 inch, will it screw things up to bump it up to 4 inch?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

What about tubing size, at what point is the 4 inch tubing needed vs say 3.5 or 4? what if the blower outlet is smaller tehn 4 inch, will it screw things up to bump it up to 4 inch?
you're just adding some volume...won't screw anything up...my old setup was 3.5" out I ran 3.5" piping to the I/C and 4" piping from the I/C to the TB

Quick Reply: Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread