Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I hear about people breaking those things way too often. Is it the material they use, deaign, or just so much spring pressure that something eventually has to give?

any chance that the rocker could have been weakened from the events that happened on the previous build? I wonder if when the rod broke, if the piston hit the valve and stressed one of the rockers... ?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least it happened in the driveway lol, decent little bit of deserved good luck
Old 07-17-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

any chance that the rocker could have been weakened from the events that happened on the previous build? I wonder if when the rod broke, if the piston hit the valve and stressed one of the rockers... ?
shawn didn't have any reason to keep the rockers with the same cylinders, but it was the same cylinder that broke the rocker, so he said its possible that it was a result of being stressed during the passing of my last motor
Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That sucks. Was it a solid, standard, or lightened rocker?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

j2k with .187" beam. Not sure if they offered them any other way...broke at the adjuster.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

getting upgraded rockers. bigger beam on the intakes (.250 vs .187) and solid body rockers on the exhausts since its a turbo car

jesel says 2-3 day turnaround
Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

true car guy style, break something then UPGRADE
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
true car guy style, break something then UPGRADE
What other way is there?

Brian when you test your trans brake in your driveway are you doing a 100% throttle launch or just seeing how it holds and how it engages and disengages...?

I have yet to try mine out, one because I don't have any chance hooking my nitto 35 profiles and two because I haven't really read up enough on how to stage with it the best way and to start to familiarize myself with it.

I know they are all different in the ways they engage and work and time it takes for a particular car to build boost, but the staging and technique is all basically the same. Just looking for some tips or hear on how you are doing it if you don't mind sharing...
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
What other way is there?

Brian when you test your trans brake in your driveway are you doing a 100% throttle launch or just seeing how it holds and how it engages and disengages...?

I have yet to try mine out, one because I don't have any chance hooking my nitto 35 profiles and two because I haven't really read up enough on how to stage with it the best way and to start to familiarize myself with it.

I know they are all different in the ways they engage and work and time it takes for a particular car to build boost, but the staging and technique is all basically the same. Just looking for some tips or hear on how you are doing it if you don't mind sharing...
will be slower to spool in the driveway since you don't have the post-burnout heat in the turbo. hold transbrake and full throttle to see how it spools...pretty easy haha
Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
will be slower to spool in the driveway since you don't have the post-burnout heat in the turbo. hold transbrake and full throttle to see how it spools...pretty easy haha
gotcha I just need some reassuring, but I guess I am just worrying to much.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball
Yup and make sure to watch as your neighbors are staring at you....
Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The neighbors love it. When I had my s10 with a 406 and fogger on it I did some stall tests in the driveway. Push the transbrake button, put foot to floor and look at tach.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Yup and make sure to watch as your neighbors are staring at you....
LOL, they already stop everything they are doing as I drive by, I don't ever floor it in the neighborhood, now the long mile stretch as you pull out my neighborhood, another story. Lot's of line-loc footbrake launches there already
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

fortunately for me, I live in a rural area
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

rockers supposed to ship back to me today...I'm pretty close to Jesel so I should have by monday.

Changed the trans fluid from regular Hygard to Hygard "Light" (aka low viscosity) in an attempt to increase the stall speed of the converter a touch.

Hope to get some more track testing on wednesday....next event is next saturday...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in a typical suburban neighborhood with no gearheads at all in my area, and when I recently got done installing the procharger, I left my front bumper off and took a spin around the block just to make sure everything was ok before buttoning everything up. Needless to say the looks I got were quite amusing. When I pulled back into the garage, my wife came out of the back yard and asked what was wrong with my car since she head it whistling the entire time I went around the block. I told her it was the new intake I just put on, and will get quieter when the bumper goes back on.

I wish I had some car-guy neighbors, but it's just mercs, bm'ers, volvos, caddys and soccer mom minivans here. Damn yuppies.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did everything go ok? Updates!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Fireball just got the rockers. Jessel shipped them to VA speed instead of Fireball. Not sure if he is gonna try this weekends ODR race or not
Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I live in a typical suburban neighborhood with no gearheads at all in my area, and when I recently got done installing the procharger, I left my front bumper off and took a spin around the block just to make sure everything was ok before buttoning everything up. Needless to say the looks I got were quite amusing. When I pulled back into the garage, my wife came out of the back yard and asked what was wrong with my car since she head it whistling the entire time I went around the block. I told her it was the new intake I just put on, and will get quieter when the bumper goes back on.

I wish I had some car-guy neighbors, but it's just mercs, bm'ers, volvos, caddys and soccer mom minivans here. Damn yuppies.
Dude it could be worse, my neibhorhoos is full of people driving 1980's toyota corrola's, junky honda's, and anything else you can buy for 500 bucks. And if you see a nice car, it's either A. stolen, or B. a drug dealer
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Dude it could be worse, my neibhorhoos is full of people driving 1980's toyota corrola's, junky honda's, and anything else you can buy for 500 bucks. And if you see a nice car, it's either A. stolen, or B. a drug dealer
That sounds like the area in St. Louis I bought my car from.

When I moved recently I opened the garage door and started my Formula up just to circulate fluids and maybe jar some interest in the project. I let it idle for 2-3 minutes and turned around to see 3 father-son sets standing in my driveway wanting to know what in the hell my car was. Good times.

I'm in for some more results on the new Combo man!

Quick Reply: Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread