Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

422 LSX Solid Roller, TFS 245's, Billet Wilson & Twin TC78's from KYTP

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was the BOV. Doubled up the spring in it and that problem is gone. Unfortunately just to be replaced by new problems.

To start, this new cooling setup is not working well enough in the transmission. Just to recap, back when he was having the problems snapping input shafts in the Rossler Glide, he ended up upgrading to the badass billet shaft. In doing so, with the pump configuration and the deleting of the oring grooves in the shaft, the trans fluid cooling circuit was bypassed. He ended up having to buy a transpan that you can circulate water thru. In an effort to not add ANOTHER current draw to the electrical system, he hooked up the transpan to the heater hose ports on the alternator. Unfortunately, it seems that those ports dont really have enough pressure to push thru the additional cooler/heat exchanger and the transmission pan. On top of that, I'm pretty sure that water is pre-radiator. Rosler can modify the pump to work with a DIFFeRENT badass billet input shaft. It's looking like that will have to be done. We are seeing 210* trans temps at the start of a pass and almost 250* out the back door. Even the starting line temp is too high and is causing the converter to behave erratically. Basically it is doing the opposite of what you want out of a converter in that it is tighter at launch than it is on the long end. The hot and muggy south florida weather that we are having right now does not help at all.

Next problem was the wideband sensor seemingly flipping out. It was reading 14.5 for 90% of the pass and then it would read 10.5-11.8 for a moment and back up to 14.5 again. At part throttle it seems to be working ok. For sure, 100%, it was not at 14.5:1 AFR. If anything, I believe that it is way rich. The other thing that I noticed is that the O2 correction would peg 25% for a sec or so and then would stop working for the rest of the pass. I noticed it on the second pass as the car seemed to lay over right after the 60'. The first pass was aborted as it was heading for the bumper. My theory on this is that the BS3 was seeing the bogus O2 reading, dumped maximum fuel correction for as long as it allows and then shuts correction off completely as some sort of safety against a bad O2 sensor. I really couldn't find anything else in the software settings that would cause this to happen or where it might be defined. We'll call the BigStuff guys on Tuesday and see what they say if a new wideband sensor doesnt fix the problem. Now, because this was our first decent pass in a while (due to the aforementioned BOV opening problem that we chased for the last few outings), we weren't about to pack it up. Besides that, the weather was very ify all day with scattered showers. Many people decided not to take their chances and the track was trying out some new sticky ****. This ended up working out great in that the track was empty and sticky. Like a private rental. We ended up deciding to shut off the O2 correction all together and wing it. For the third pass the flat spot was gone so we were headed in the right direction.

Then the relay for the IC pump failed so we had to wire it direct right before the pass. Between the hot transmission, hot and humid air, running rich and blind, we were able to make 5 or 6 passes and peel of a 7.99. Also got pretty close to 180 MPH. We got a ton of video that I am sure Steve will have up shortly.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMiAR62IXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VOBtvk8KH0
Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Coal Mining Director

Killer passes. How much air pressure in the 325's? They look like they're hooking well for you.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Restricted User

There are a bunch more videos than that. I'm guessing he'll get the rest up today.

We run our Mickeys at 20ish psi. Seems to work good. The surface was real decent also. Only spun a little bit once and it was around the 100' mark.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Badassness!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have watched all the vids in this thread, I have read every post in this thread, I've watched this car run some sick numbers and still can't believe it! Everybody must remember this a STREETCAR. It has all the amenities still in it.

Just not that long ago Tom Kempf had a full fledged race car that was turbocharged and it was running 7.80's with nothing in it. Technology is great and our cars can only get faster from it.

I look forward to ls2formula and 98z28Cobrakiller cranking up the boost some more and running mid 7's with a full fledged streetcar!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

This is a full fledged street car? It doesn't have the required 25.x cage in it? I see it has the shoot on, its well past an 8.50 cage in ET...Man, I don't know what qualifies as a street car now a days full interior or not ...

That is hauling *** though there with that setup, Congrats on making that LSx going the distance!! Runs are nice and smooth, looks great.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I have watched all the vids in this thread, I have read every post in this thread, I've watched this car run some sick numbers and still can't believe it! Everybody must remember this a STREETCAR. It has all the amenities still in it.

Just not that long ago Tom Kempf had a full fledged race car that was turbocharged and it was running 7.80's with nothing in it. Technology is great and our cars can only get faster from it.

I look forward to ls2formula and 98z28Cobrakiller cranking up the boost some more and running mid 7's with a full fledged streetcar!

Their performance is definitely moving along. We did go 7.2x with power windows, power locks, tilt, factory dash and center console, headliner/dome light. Depends on what you want to call a STREETCAR.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

A street car is a car you want to drive on the street, not a car that can drive on the street. I really do like to drive my car to work and out to some meets. Yes it stills need a quieter exhaust and ps but I still love to drive it and it never runs hot or gives me any problems just driving around.
My car is only legal to 8.50s and I really dont think it will go any faster than 7.7x on a perfect run.
I finally weighted it and it weights 3620 with me and a 1/4 tank of gas.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by DanZ28
This is a full fledged street car? It doesn't have the required 25.x cage in it? I see it has the shoot on, its well past an 8.50 cage in ET...Man, I don't know what qualifies as a street car now a days full interior or not ...

That is hauling *** though there with that setup, Congrats on making that LSx going the distance!! Runs are nice and smooth, looks great.
I don't see this car getting a 25.X cage. The chute pops right off for street duty. He had that Percy's drop in lexan backhatch before but the stock glass went back in this week. Actually about 4 hours before we went to the track. He didn't get a chance to even tint it again. We got the hook-up at the track so no danger of getting tossed.

I have a feeling that once these turbos get maxed out, the power steering bracket gets here and exhaust goes in, Vintage Air will be getting called up to figure out a climate control solution.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
To start, this new cooling setup is not working well enough in the transmission. Just to recap, back when he was having the problems snapping input shafts in the Rossler Glide, he ended up upgrading to the badass billet shaft. In doing so, with the pump configuration and the deleting of the oring grooves in the shaft, the trans fluid cooling circuit was bypassed. He ended up having to buy a transpan that you can circulate water thru. In an effort to not add ANOTHER current draw to the electrical system, he hooked up the transpan to the heater hose ports on the alternator. Unfortunately, it seems that those ports dont really have enough pressure to push thru the additional cooler/heat exchanger and the transmission pan. On top of that, I'm pretty sure that water is pre-radiator. Rosler can modify the pump to work with a DIFFeRENT badass billet input shaft. It's looking like that will have to be done. We are seeing 210* trans temps at the start of a pass and almost 250* out the back door. Even the starting line temp is too high and is causing the converter to behave erratically. Basically it is doing the opposite of what you want out of a converter in that it is tighter at launch than it is on the long end. The hot and muggy south florida weather that we are having right now does not help at all.
bad trans design. Phil and I run the ATI ringless input shafts with the ATI super pump (designed to work together) and it retains an OEM type cooler circuit. I see about 180 in the pan at the end of a run. if I drive back to the pits it warms up further...maybe 200 or so. You are asking for a major car fire letting it get up the temps you are seeing

Next problem was the wideband sensor seemingly flipping out. It was reading 14.5 for 90% of the pass and then it would read 10.5-11.8 for a moment and back up to 14.5 again. At part throttle it seems to be working ok. For sure, 100%, it was not at 14.5:1 AFR. If anything, I believe that it is way rich. The other thing that I noticed is that the O2 correction would peg 25% for a sec or so and then would stop working for the rest of the pass. I noticed it on the second pass as the car seemed to lay over right after the 60'. The first pass was aborted as it was heading for the bumper. My theory on this is that the BS3 was seeing the bogus O2 reading, dumped maximum fuel correction for as long as it allows and then shuts correction off completely as some sort of safety against a bad O2 sensor. I really couldn't find anything else in the software settings that would cause this to happen or where it might be defined. We'll call the BigStuff guys on Tuesday and see what they say if a new wideband sensor doesnt fix the problem.

whats your voltage? if it drops too low (slipping belt, etc) it will make the wideband erratic. Mine did exactly that once...read 14:1 but was chugging out black smoke. One of the reasons I went with 16V.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
bad trans design. Phil and I run the ATI ringless input shafts with the ATI super pump (designed to work together) and it retains an OEM type cooler circuit. I see about 180 in the pan at the end of a run. if I drive back to the pits it warms up further...maybe 200 or so. You are asking for a major car fire letting it get up the temps you are seeing
that's what happened to major a few years back and boy was it scary.

Last edited by Fireball; 06-01-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
10 Second Club

Bad *** build man for sure but I would think if you are having heating issues with the tranny at the track then you would fry the tranny on the street.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
I think he was pushing out the front bushing from the excessive heat generated trying to spool big twins with a "small" motor

but I think anything over 200 when staging is playing with fire...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Restricted User

bad trans design. Phil and I run the ATI ringless input shafts with the ATI super pump (designed to work together) and it retains an OEM type cooler circuit. I see about 180 in the pan at the end of a run. if I drive back to the pits it warms up further...maybe 200 or so. You are asking for a major car fire letting it get up the temps you are seeing .
Yeah, it wont be back to the track until the pump gets modified and it gets the new ringless shaft that will allow it to flow trans fluid to a cooler. We been busting *** on Joe's car to free up the lift.

whats your voltage? if it drops too low (slipping belt, etc) it will make the wideband erratic. Mine did exactly that once...read 14:1 but was chugging out black smoke. One of the reasons I went with 16V.
I found out that it is exactly what I thought it was. The computer sees max correction for like a second and a half and then shuts it off as a safety. Definetly a bad sensor. So far everything that we have tried to pin on voltage has turned out to be something else.

Originally Posted by odarabla
Bad *** build man for sure but I would think if you are having heating issues with the tranny at the track then you would fry the tranny on the street.
The car is really still waiting for exhaust and the power steering bracket in order to get some street use. We are still working out the bugs.

I think he was pushing out the front bushing from the excessive heat generated trying to spool big twins with a "small" motor

but I think anything over 200 when staging is playing with fire...
Besides being horrible for trans life, the biggest pain in the *** about it is the inconsistancy that it is creating with the converter.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
Gloowing red, wrapped hot pipes behind the motor are like torches ready to ignite once covered in oil or transfluid. One of the downsides to having the turbos in the back.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Restricted User

Just a followup. Steve got the power steering bracket last Friday and installed it this week. Works like a champ.

The pulley was touching the exhaust manifold with the stock bracket.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Restricted User

He also changed his mind about sending the transmission pump back to have it modified to flow the transmission fluid thru the cooling ports. Instead he bought a Tilton pump and drilled and tapped the pan. Let's see how that works.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Um, yes! I need one of those brackets, price and who do I need to talk too?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RS_SS69
Um, yes! I need one of those brackets, price and who do I need to talk too?
Shearer makes the bracket but he didn't want to make just one for us so Josh @ kytp ordered a few (if I understood correctly). So I'd hit up Josh first.

Quick Reply: 422 LSX Solid Roller, TFS 245's, Billet Wilson & Twin TC78's from KYTP