Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI Cog set up is here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's the info you wanted J-diddy.....

Tooth count. Ummm 72 Crank Cog Pulley and 29 or 30 for the blower pulley..

The Belt is 960 mm in length. The next step up is 1020 I believe and that's too big for my setup. 960 is the size. It's a gates belt.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Heath, you rock! I just hope that the 960 belt will fit the 73-31 combo that they are making up right now. With the cog set up I have now, the 960 belt is so tight the bolt holes don't line up between the s/c headunit and the blower bracket. The top of the cog belt is right up to the top of the tensioner slot. -1 tooth on the crank cog and -1 doesn't seem like much but I have my fingers crossed. Did Hugger get his cog set up from ASP too or was it a goldenwest/ATI set up?
Thanks,
J
*edit* with the tooth count of this set up I have now 76T Crank-33T Blower,
-3 teeth on the crank and -2 on the s/c cog seem like it will be enough....just thinking out loud.

Last edited by frcefed98; 01-14-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

ASP.

He said he was out of town for 5 days, so I bet you get an email from him pretty soon as he catches up.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool looks like all is good then,
Thanks Heath
Old 01-15-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know as soon as you get them......PSJ is putting down some impressive #'s, 705rwhp @17psi........
Old 01-15-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Frcefed98. Hello to you.. Clint here...

I hope I can help you out.

Trip down memory lane here. I've had my ASP Cogs setup for just over 1 year now. Everything you have gone through, and "Will" continue to go through I have been there done that.

After reading this entire thread and looking at your pictures, I just shake my head and remember everything I went through.

OK.

1st off I have the ASP Cog drive setup. Lee designed it from scratch I believe on my setup. Meaning I believe I was the first ASP COG setup for a ATI blower. Took him quite a while to develop the setup, "months", and from your pictures looks just like mine. Except. I'm running the ATI damper that runs about 500 bucks or so. Reason I went with that ATI damper, "I got my Crank Keyed". Very important!! Your crank setup hooks directly up to your stock damper. After everything is said and done, and your not getting any slip, and spinning that D-1SC like a SOB, I hope, I truly Hope you won't have a problem with your Stock damper spinning on the crank. It could you know.. Now that you have a full proof way of not having belt slip on the blower, the added stress "could" not for sure, but "could" cause the stock damper to spin on the crank. After everything is setup, please look after your stock crank and make sure it's not spinning.

OK..

#1 I too had the problem of the COG blower pulley actually hitting the blower itself. I used a small washer to space it out away from the blower itself. Your is too big. you don't need to machine the cog blower pulley.

#2 Once you get the blower up and installed, you will try to put the metal or plastic inlet hat on, that goes on the blower, and find it to hit the ATI radiator shroud. I had to cut back the stock ATI blower brackets to make that fit.

For your info. I have very little space between my COG blower pulley and the Alt pulley. It's about 1/8" to 1/16" of an inch. But they don't hit....

#3. I'm using the 960 size belt. Take a look at your blower bracket. See the little window that the tentioner slides up and down on. I had to make that window bigger, hence use a cutting tool a dremmel or cutting wheel and make that window bigger, so the idler goes up higher to allow the 960 belt to be put in there.

#4 YOU WILL THROW A COGS BELT right away, Expect it. I did. Place a order now for at least 2 extra cog belts.

#5 You will need to shim the blower bracket correctly with using different sized washers, so that the cogs belt won't ride on one size or another like mine did. The Cog belts don't last as long at the stock 6 rib setup. Too tight, it will shread the teeth on the belt. too loose and it will do the same. The perfect tightness is so that you can move the cog belt about 1 full inch. No more, no less. Some people may think that's too loose. Trust me, it's not. Then after about a few hundred miles, re-tighten the belt again, cause now it is a little loose from wear and needs to be re-tightened. Remember too tight the cogs belt will eat away the teeth right away. I should know. I have messed up a belt in as little as 10 miles!! The longest has been about 1800 miles, then the belt had to be changed out.

#6 In my 1 year and 10,000 miles. I have thrown or ruined 6 belts. And at 45 bucks a pop, I'm tired of it. I have recently found out that my major problem now is the blower bracket made of aluminum, flexes. I'm going to get with someone and make a steel one, possibly with a spring loaded tentioner. That would be cool, but not sure how it's going to be done.

With my setup. I built up my motor, and did the tuning. At this Altitude I'm spinning the P-1SC-1 to the Max rpm, hence 65,000 impeller rpms, at 6500 engine rpms. The D-1SC could give me more boost, but it's not worth the 1000 bucks to only get another 15% flow.

More info on the COGS setup to come later.

Real quick run down of my Mods.

Stock Aluminum Block, honed 5/1000 over to 347ci
Stock Crank
Stock Heads CNC ported w/stock size valves
Cometic MLS Head Gaskets
ARP Bolts Heads + Crank caps
Hotcam 217/228 .525 .525 112LSA
Jessel 1.8 Shaft Mounted Rockers (total combined valve lift .557 wth 1.8's)
Ross Forged Pistons
9.2 to 1 compression
ARE Hardened stock rods
Race Bearings
SLP LT Headers w/o cats
Loudmouth
SLP Billet Flywheel
Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft
Strange 12 Bolt w/3.73's

ATI P-1SC-1 Blower 12psi at 6800 engine rpms
ASP COGS drive setup
ATI Twin intercoolers
Apex BOV

Dyno 1/2/04
602.1 RWHP @ 6400 rpms
554 RWTQ @ 4900 rpms

No 1/4 mile times yet with this setup.

Post more questions if you have any??

Sincerely,

Clint

Last edited by HUGGER ORANGE SS; 01-15-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man...... destroying belts that fast kinda makes people think twice about going Cog......not me i want to run 9's. Keep us posted........
Hugger only 12 psi max????
Kyle
Old 01-15-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not worried about it, we will see when frcefed gets his on, because that will be identical to mine.......keeping my fingers crossed for you.........

Belt life can be good as long as your careful with the setup, I've seen sikora destroy a cogs belt before he even got out of the hole...........thats because his pulleys weren't lined up exactly perfect, had to space the blower.........its all about the alingment and the tension........
Old 01-15-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
I'm not worried about it, we will see when frcefed gets his on, because that will be identical to mine.......keeping my fingers crossed for you.........

Belt life can be good as long as your careful with the setup, I've seen sikora destroy a cogs belt before he even got out of the hole...........thats because his pulleys weren't lined up exactly perfect, had to space the blower.........its all about the alingment and the tension........

I know i know........Ill get it anyways...............................
Old 01-15-2004, 06:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Welcome Clint!!!!!

Can we take a collection and find a 114 LSA camshaft to give to Clint for his birthday?

Nice info regarding correct belt tension, these guys might save a little money.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=Pro Stock John]Welcome Clint!!!!!

Can we take a collection and find a 114 LSA camshaft to give to Clint for his birthday?

QUOTE]

HA HA That was funny John.... Ill PM you this tomorrow the info u wanted..... Net at home is up now....
Old 01-15-2004, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Damn Jeremy. After reading all af that I'd just do the turbo kit you've been talking about. To much trouble worrying about if the belts to tight or loose. 10 Cog belts down the road and you'll wish you had.

Look at it like this. How many times did I blow up the rearend in the car, I should of just bought the 9" after it happened the first time. Sell all that stuff and get a turbo. You wont regret it.

I'll call you this weekend.

Neal
Old 01-15-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hi Clint, Nice to see you post up Thanks for coming aboard this mega post...
As for the keyed crank, I have it "pinned" with the ATI pin kit. I hope this will be enough, lee warned me about the stock dampner. When I built this new engine up, 15psi and big HP was my goal so I knew I had to pin the crank.

The washer was made by lee and it spaced the s/c cog out perfectly, no machining was needed. The clearance between the alt. and the s/c cog is about what you have 1/8th or a little more. This is due to the .280 spacers that were made by lee to space the blower back toward the radiator.

Fan's are no issue to me, they are on the front of the radiator, pusher fashion. With no A/C condensor, I have had 0 problems overheating.(thanks to PD for this lil lesson) The inlet hat went on fine with all the spacers on, so that's a good thing.

Looks like I will be getting the air grinder out to make more space on the bracket for the ol tensioner, thanks for the heads up

Kinda figuring on toasting of a belt or two before all is right, will be ordering two more belts, again thanks for the heads up

Definately will be watching the belt alignment. Looks like all is great with the two washers per stand off, the cog belt was looking good, but only when I get the new cogs in and the car running will I know that everything is golden.

Looks like I will have to get into touch with the guy who made Black LS1 T/A his steel bracket, I don't want to be toasting belts like I was with the 6 rib, thanks again again for the heads up

What altitude are you at? I am at 5800ft, your numbers are AWESOME. I am hoping for good numbers too, especially with the D1-SC and this cog set up.
I hope I can get HP/TQ close to what you have
my combo is
348 LS6 Block 9.1-1 comp
Diamond -8.6cc FI Pistons
Forged Eagle 6.125 rods/arp rod bolts
6.0L heads P&P stock intake valves, 1.57 exh.
6.0L GM MLS gaskets
ARP headbolts
Nice Lil blower cam 115LSA
Mac headers/ ORP hey I am poor maybe one day I'll have LT's lol
SLP Loudmouth
Stock 10 bolt(worked so far.....)
Stock 4L60E(again ain't broke....)
Vig 3800
3.73's
Nice shiney HKS SSQ BOV waiting to be installed
with the broke down tune I had and slipping MMS-3.2 set up I got only one decent pull on the dyno and the numbers were VERY promising at 5100rpm's, we were spinning it to 7100 tho, the belts couldn't handle it. I was seeing 12psi at 5100 then it would nosedive to 9psi for the rest of the pull. With the cog set up hopefully 14-15psi will be achieveable and I will see some good numbers, I also have new tuning and will be getting it tuned locally from here on out.
Thanks for the pointers and the heads up on the things listed. I am glad you posted up here and i'm glad to see that another person has run these with great results. Just have to work with it a little to get it right. The set I have now fits awesome, but too bad there wasn't a cog belt made to get them to work, just have to wait a few more days longer for the new set.
Jeremy
Old 01-15-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whats up Neal you posted while I was making the mega post above, hey get me my grinder back, looks like I might need it. Until I find another job the ol Turbo has to wait, but its something you know I want to do... OH YEAH Quality Pontiac got a Black GTO in today, Brian called me to go check it out, Sounds freakin bad ***
J
Old 01-16-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98

Nice Lil blower cam 115LSA

Stock 10 bolt(worked so far.....)
Stock 4L60E(again ain't broke....)
Lil my *** Jer.... ha ha

Im with ya on the tranny and 10 bolt. 12 bolt sooner or later but i love driving the damn thing to much to put a TH400 in it.
Kyle
Old 01-16-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lil my *** Jer.... ha ha

Im with ya on the tranny and 10 bolt. 12 bolt sooner or later but i love driving the damn thing to much to put a TH400 in it.
Kyle
Waaa? Its a decent sized blower cam
I gonna push this poor 10bolt till it gives up the ghost, i've been through 1 gear set so far but until the damn thing blows apart I'll keep running it.
Same for the 4L60E, once it crys uncle, it will be replaced with a cmotorsports unit.
Has it been a week yet?
J
Old 01-16-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome first post Clint!

Glad to see you made it over hear too! Your a wealth of knowledge! Did you find a local place for cog belts here in Denver yet?

Nasty-TA: Hugger is at 5800ft thus the reason he's getting 12psi with the smaller cogs. Still making AWESOME power with that P1SC. You really appreciate Clints car (hugger) when you see it in person and see all the work he's put in it.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rodent
Awesome first post Clint!

Glad to see you made it over hear too! Your a wealth of knowledge! Did you find a local place for cog belts here in Denver yet?

Nasty-TA: Hugger is at 5800ft thus the reason he's getting 12psi with the smaller cogs. Still making AWESOME power with that P1SC. You really appreciate Clints car (hugger) when you see it in person and see all the work he's put in it.

I wasnt ******* him i was just wondering............. I have been on his site and its awsome the work he has done and great job on paving the way fro the rest of us. Thanks
Kyle
Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am also at 5800ft so I can look foward to 12+psi out of my D1-SC and cog set up Damn I can't wait!
J
Old 01-17-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hope I can hit close to 15psi here at flat lands of the midwest.......

Quick Reply: ATI Cog set up is here!