Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil Restrictors? AND pipe size questions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Restrictors? AND pipe size questions??

So, I was doing some research on oil restrictors and thought i had found that i need to run the .038 restrictor, then more research went on, and saw i should use the .068, Then after talking to several people on these boards and couple others, They use them, and some dont.

I called turbonetics and talked to two techs, and wasnt impressed, they both gave me different answers. But i was told to maintain 25 psi of oil through a -4 line at WOT. No, im pretty sure that we are something like 58psi or close to at WOT. So i told them this, and they both said not to use a restrictor.

So, Could i get some thoughts on what people have found to work, Becuase after speaking with turbonetics, im not to sure of what to do. I dont want to overwhelm my turbo with oil and risk blowing through it.

EDIT: QUESTIONS? Since im a rear mount, is there anything to gain by running a 2" charge pipe from the rear to the intercooler, which will be three inch from there to the THrottle body

Last edited by JAX04; 02-03-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Im not running a restrictor that I know of. I run the feed/drain kit from Modular and have that little block above the oil filter tapped for the feed. I would assume since its a pressurized source, and my oil pump shows about 60psi of oil pressure that I should be getting 50-55psi at the turbo itself. As long as you have a big enough drain, I wouldnt worry about a restrictor considering a -4 line can only flow so much. I could be wrong though....
Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No restrictor here. -4 feed line,-10 drain line. As long as your turbo is mounted correctly and high enough for the oil to drain back into the pan without any flow problems, you shouldn't need one.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's better to supply more oil than not enough. Start without a restrictor and make sure you have an adequate drain setup. I imagine you're running an Oil cooled CHRA as well which is even more reason to supply it with enough oil.

In case anyone is looking for an oil restrictor option, I found these to work really well.
Just drill them out to whatever size orfice you need. Plus they screw right into the turbo inlet with a -4AN hose fitting.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3277/?rtype=10

Last edited by BlwnLs1GTO; 02-03-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

right on guys, i will start with nothing, if its spitting out my turbo i will choke it back a little bit and go from there, thanks everyone,

Now, Next question, Is 2 inch ID pipe to small for my turbo to go from turbo to the IC, itll be 3" from there up, But since im a rear mount, is 2" to small to go from front to back??
Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

I would use 2.5 or 3 to the IC
Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I would use 2.5 or 3 to the IC
At least 2.5" on the charge piping to the intercooler. To the best of my knowledge I thought restrictors were for ball bearing turbos. Journal bearing turbos don't need them I thought. On a normal oil pump. I'm not sure on a high volume/high pressure pump.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

i guess 2.5 it is, that sucks, now i have to pay someone to do it I was going to make my own charge pipe out of a special material that use at work, and no its not PVC, or CPVC, i dont believe in glue. arg, everything i have is measured in ID, with a rather thick wall, comaprable to SCH. 40. So 2" is about 2.5 OD. and unforuntaley, they dont make a 2.5" ID , next size is 3"ID which is almost 4 OD. ****!!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX04
i guess 2.5 it is, that sucks, now i have to pay someone to do it I was going to make my own charge pipe out of a special material that use at work, and no its not PVC, or CPVC, i dont believe in glue. arg, everything i have is measured in ID, with a rather thick wall, comaprable to SCH. 40. So 2" is about 2.5 OD. and unforuntaley, they dont make a 2.5" ID , next size is 3"ID which is almost 4 OD. ****!!
You dont want it that thick. Thinnest/lightest metal that wont swell is what you want. It's expensive to get weight out of a car without cutting it up. Plus you really dont want to insulate the air charge. Try to run the same ID as the compressor outlet.

Quick Reply: Oil Restrictors? AND pipe size questions??