Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone used VP M5 Methanol in their injection kits? Already did some searching

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Anyone used VP M5 Methanol in their injection kits? Already did some searching

So I'm at Todd Moyer's shop in pasadena today buying fuel and methanol and we get to talking. I was going to just by my usual supply of M1 and this dude was like, "man, you should try the M5, should make a noticable increase in power....". They talked me into it and when I got home I decided to do some searching and I haven't seen any proof that it will even work. As a matter of fact I keep running into that tech question over on VP's site that says it could result in combustion in the intake tract, and that it won't pull heat as well as M1 due to the additives.

Has anyone actually tried it? Am I about to commit a serious No-No? I'm not about to risk burning motor down if it hasn't been tried before. In other words, I don't really feel like being the guinnea pig for this sort of test.

Any thoughts, or input from those who have experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the differences between the M1 and M5?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why dont you get a 5 gallon pail of both and dyno back to back. Pretty easy test to see which one works better.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey man i was also told to run this but here is what i came up with so far

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane if you read through this it states about the knock and pre-ignition and also it alows carbon build up.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=977972 here is were i found it talks about it producing severe knock and pre-igniton

i cant see how this would be good stuff to use
Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have not done tomuch reasearch on it but what i have found so far does not look good at all. i would take it back and use the good ol m1
Old 02-07-2010, 03:16 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Why dont you get a 5 gallon pail of both and dyno back to back. Pretty easy test to see which one works better.
I'm always down for testing something new. Something about it preigniting in the intake tract just has me a little concerned that I'm not the best guy for this test. I'd like to let someone who loves to blow their stuff up testing try this one out. lol
Old 02-07-2010, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd stick to M1.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

m5 will make more power
m5 vaperizes better
more fuel is required with m5, richer tuneup
m5 will fail a methanol fuel test
m5 smells different ( better )

ive heard m1 is more consistant
not used it personally
Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I'm really suprised no one can offer any personal experience than this. Is M5 really new on the market or something?

One thing I don't understand is this. On VP's tech board there is a quote that states "could ignight in the intake tract". Well if thats true, then wouldn't that be a problem with the M1 under this same conditions? They're both fuels/flamable/combustable. I have some regular M1. If I have time I'll go to the dyno next week. Get it dialed in without the meth, then with M1, then switch to M5. If I'm able to get this done with any consistency, I'll post the results.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:35 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember reading a thread about this a while ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Originally Posted by crashly
m5 will make more power
m5 vaperizes better
more fuel is required with m5, richer tuneup
m5 will fail a methanol fuel test
m5 smells different ( better )

ive heard m1 is more consistant
not used it personally
That sounds like real world usage to me.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

i thought m5 had a trace of nitromethane in it. Not sure so lets just leave that as my internet opinion/rumor
Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Where are all the experts at lol? No pump that I am aware of is compatible with M5. M5 contains nitroparaffins, which are relatives of nitromethane in the same chemical family. Don't use that ****!

You found the answer on their site. Why would you take anyones advice on this site over theirs?

Link to VP Fuels website.
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index.h...estion&ID=1997

Last edited by Apocalypse; 02-16-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Where are all the experts at lol? No pump that I am aware of is compatible with M5. M5 contains nitroparaffins, which are relatives of nitromethane in the same chemical family. Don't use that ****!

You found the answer on their site. Why would you take anyones advice on this site over theirs?

Link to VP Fuels website.
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index.h...estion&ID=1997
Well, simply because I have been hearing rumors that people are actually using it. As a matter of fact, there is a guy here that has a procharger and uses it. I'd have to search for his post to get you his name though.

Also, some pumps are compatable with 100% meth and some are not. For example, From what I've seen some of the snow pumps aren't, and the alkycontrol pumps are. This might be enough reason for VP to say this on their site. In other words...they are covering their *** in the event that someone doesn't have a pump that is 100% compatable with pure meth.

Also, if we believed everything we read on the internet....................

Do you actually have first hand experience that this will not work or are you offering your opinion?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Teching In

I said no pump is compatible with M5 meth. Some pumps are compatible with 50/50 etc and some with purest meth M1. M5 is not pure meth. The additives eat away at the pumps seals. Yes I know people who pumps have failed from M5. But you will make the most power from M5 meth.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 02-18-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Turbo Addict

I was going to try it because it would be similar to Snow's nitro booster plus meth that they sell but all in one...without the water though of course...problem is I think M5 has oil in it which I know is a no-no for most of the shurflo style pumps...been there, messed that up.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Oil and any diaphram style pump is a no-no.

Maybe stated this way, rubber seals typically used in injection pumps are either one of three materials. Viton, Buna, or EPDM.

As fuels go.. Viton is typically used with fuel and oil. Buna and EPDM are used with alcohol. There is no rubber used for both purposes. Look at Nitrous solenoids for example.. you have viton ones for fuel, you have buna ones for meth. Mix the two.. its a nasty cocktail.

The Santoprene diaphram used by all diaphram pump mfg's is also not compatible with fuel/oil. It shrinks then you get a leak.

My suggestion.. return it and switch to M1. If you want more power.. easy.. simply add boost

I dont want to even get into the I tuned on M1 at 10.8:1 AFR.. what do I tune the M5 for.

Quick Reply: Anyone used VP M5 Methanol in their injection kits? Already did some searching