procharger
50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

turbo vs. procharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problems I've ever had with any of my turbo cars was a blown off intercooler hose that took 5 mins to fix and a broken oil feed line on a STS Avalanche when I went through the whoops at the sand drags of Glamis. That took 15 mins to fix.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-vs-turbo.html

this link might help you out some...but it's still a hard decision. i spent many sleepless night debating this. i ended up going procharger. good luck!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

morning bump...
Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-D-1SC...F-Body-Kit.htm

Check this link out for complete ProCharger systems minus the tune. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for comparisons sake, i recently drove to alabama, about 200 miles round trip 100% hwy miles and got 24 mpg. but if i drive it like i like too i can burn half a tank just cruising around town. once you get into boost you can see the fuel gauge drop
Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have several turbo toys. My 99TT been driving it for a few years ,not as daily driver but its not a garage queen. I have been in both procharged cars and turbo cars. Lt1 procharged and ls1 procharged. And turboed lt1 and ls1 cars both rear mount,front mount ,etc.

Both good both fun. Both have pros and cons. Lots of threads on it in here.
Mileage ,turbo cars will get better mileage than procharged I would say as no drag on the motor. Powerbands well turbos can hit full boost much much lower than procharger. much bigger area under the curve if you compare the two. At the track the supers do better and the way they make boost by rpm can help traction.
Turbos can be set up though to do boost by rpm, by gear,by time. And much easier to raise or lower boost on turbo car. No belt slips. Turbos can be very reliable they are after all used on milions of factory vehicles, trucks,semis..I have had talons on original turbos well past 100,000 miles.
Turbos sound great to me. I didn't like procharger at idle .Ones i heard sounds like bucket of bolts rattling around,horrible sound but they sounded much better as you got on them. Maybe the new ones don't have that idle rattle.
Installation is bit easier on procharger. No oil lines, oil returns, water lines. But once the turbos are installed they are installed. I have good engine access with my kit for plugs and did'nt really have to relocate much. Battery and alt are in same place as stock, can still use air conditioning. APS is not longer making kits but you can get used ones, one was just for sale/sold on here. Modulars new kits look pretty interesting . Few single kits out there or you can fab something up or buy ebay hotsides,etc.Do your research though.
Sts kits especially the newest ones are also pretty easy to install and can work well.
Procharger of course are pretty popular as well.

But again if mileage is your main goal I would vote turbo.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I have several turbo toys. My 99TT been driving it for a few years ,not as daily driver but its not a garage queen. I have been in both procharged cars and turbo cars. Lt1 procharged and ls1 procharged. And turboed lt1 and ls1 cars both rear mount,front mount ,etc.

Both good both fun. Both have pros and cons. Lots of threads on it in here.
Mileage ,turbo cars will get better mileage than procharged I would say as no drag on the motor. Powerbands well turbos can hit full boost much much lower than procharger. much bigger area under the curve if you compare the two. At the track the supers do better and the way they make boost by rpm can help traction.
Turbos can be set up though to do boost by rpm, by gear,by time. And much easier to raise or lower boost on turbo car. No belt slips. Turbos can be very reliable they are after all used on milions of factory vehicles, trucks,semis..I have had talons on original turbos well past 100,000 miles.
Turbos sound great to me. I didn't like procharger at idle .Ones i heard sounds like bucket of bolts rattling around,horrible sound but they sounded much better as you got on them. Maybe the new ones don't have that idle rattle.
Installation is bit easier on procharger. No oil lines, oil returns, water lines. But once the turbos are installed they are installed. I have good engine access with my kit for plugs and did'nt really have to relocate much. Battery and alt are in same place as stock, can still use air conditioning. APS is not longer making kits but you can get used ones, one was just for sale/sold on here. Modulars new kits look pretty interesting . Few single kits out there or you can fab something up or buy ebay hotsides,etc.Do your research though.
Sts kits especially the newest ones are also pretty easy to install and can work well.
Procharger of course are pretty popular as well.

But again if mileage is your main goal I would vote turbo.
Turbos are also faster at the track. Atleast at my track. Never seen a non-coged street procharger run an 8 sec pass at over 3200#'s. I'm sure one exists but it's not the norm. On the flip side, I can produce 3 8 sec legit turbo street cars within 1 mile of my house.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

bump...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wish my car was turbod, anyone wanna buy an F1A setup so I can go 8 seconds? LOL
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned

turbos always more power than superchargers
Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lmt0705
wish my car was turbod, anyone wanna buy an F1A setup so I can go 8 seconds? LOL
KP got his D-1SC into the 8's, you'll get there with your F-1A. What are your 60ft times and 1/4 mph? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Launching!

i've learned plenty about my turbo kit. seems like this to me, but if one went with anything above a stock build, you're gonna have issues. like most of us, i attempted nos for a while and thought of the long term effect. with the turbo kit, you won't have the issue of constant belt slippage and that "extra wear" on the motor from the supercharger. as far as gas mileage, my car does an average of 250 miles to a full tank (mostly highway), with the 60 lb injectors, i've learned that's good. i'm more partial to the turbo over all other power adders. good luck with yours.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets think about your goals? to the OP
Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

my goals are to make alot of power and be able to drive the damn thing not just drive it when i can afford to put fuel in it
Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Gas mileage isnt going to be all that different between a turbo & a supercharger. Stay out of boost and you'll get decent milage, get in boost and watch the gauge drop. Its not like your going to get 15mpg with a SC and a 30mpg with a turbo...their both going to be within a couple MPG of each other.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

back when i was on the stock compression and low boost. ^^^
she was super efficient w/ a lean tune

Since i cranked the boost, and droppred the compression its not nearly this good. I can get between 35-38mpg on the highway now, and 23-26 in city TWINS FTW... Shes my 800hp PRIUS
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bravoboost

back when i was on the stock compression and low boost. ^^^
she was super efficient w/ a lean tune

Since i cranked the boost, and droppred the compression its not nearly this good. I can get between 35-38mpg on the highway now, and 23-26 in city TWINS FTW... Shes my 800hp PRIUS
On decel maybe. LOL
Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hawk584
still the greatest smiley ever!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone else mentioned the idle noise. For me this was a major factor in going turbo instead of supercharger. If you pull into a parking lot people will know you have a supercharger because of the whine. If you drive your car alot and go places with your girlfriend the car is going to be seen and heard by others. I like using mine, not just taking it out for a spin and then straight back to lock it up.

Quick Reply: turbo vs. procharger