procharger
50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

turbo vs. procharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had a turbo car before and the exhaust note isn't as sweet as a blower's exhaust. I guess it all depends on what you're after. Admittedly, turbos do make max power, but with a s/c you can hit it on the highway and the power is immediate with no need to "brake boost". Whatever the **** that is.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white01ss
I've had a turbo car before and the exhaust note isn't as sweet as a blower's exhaust. I guess it all depends on what you're after. Admittedly, turbos do make max power, but with a s/c you can hit it on the highway and the power is immediate with no need to "brake boost". Whatever the **** that is.
brake boosting is for little POS hondas. on the highway, just downshift.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote turbo. With the availability of 2 tune pcm's. you can run your full out ground pounding set up. Then flip the switch and run a conservative more fuel friendly tune. im guessing someone is working on a 3 or even 5 tune set up like the diesel guys run. At the push of a button instant adjustability. Or you can run different tunes for 93, e85, or race gas.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

The results so far are looking a lot like the Bush-Gore election of 2000. Remember Gore won the popular vote.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The results so far are looking a lot like the Bush-Gore election of 2000. Remember Gore won the popular vote.
ha ha...now if we could only make most of those damn turbo votes disappear...or blame the turbo votes on the "chad".... screw it...lets just do a recount
Old 08-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, Centri's like to be brake boosted as well. Maybe more so as the centri power is directly proportional to RPM.

Originally Posted by pber13
brake boosting is for little POS hondas. on the highway, just downshift.
Brake boosting works much better than down shifting on a turbo car. Specially if it's an auto with a converter. Spool will cost you a car and the sudden boost hit once you spool can cost you the race due to wheel spin.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
LOL, Centri's like to be brake boosted as well. Maybe more so as the centri power is directly proportional to RPM.
You must be joking brother. Just to give this the benefit of the doubt, I went out and tried it tonight and the car completely fell on its face. It felt strong just getting the RPMs up and hitting it, just like a NA car.

I pulled up some recent logs of a punch on the highway and it only took 2 tenths of a second to get max boost for that RPM. First pic highlights the 0.2s it took to go from cruise to WOT and the second pic highlights the 0.2s it takes for the bypass to seal the boost in. Brake boosting not needed at all.
Attached Thumbnails turbo vs. procharger-sc_punch_1.jpg   turbo vs. procharger-sc_punch_2.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The procharger noise is annoying and will make you want to kill yourself driving around after awhile. Had belt problems, Procharger service is sucks big time. They wouldnt sell me a seal the belt tore up. Wouldnt even give me a number. They wanted me to send the whole unit back for $75 or so just to change a $3 seal. I went to Napa and we measured it and found one.

Turbo is way cooler. Belts suck bad.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You must be joking brother. Just to give this the benefit of the doubt, I went out and tried it tonight and the car completely fell on its face. It felt strong just getting the RPMs up and hitting it, just like a NA car.

I pulled up some recent logs of a punch on the highway and it only took 2 tenths of a second to get max boost for that RPM. First pic highlights the 0.2s it took to go from cruise to WOT and the second pic highlights the 0.2s it takes for the bypass to seal the boost in. Brake boosting not needed at all.
Sorry, was talking auto. When I brake boost the turbo, I can make like 8 psi and when I let off, it's instant 16+. When I first switched to turbo, the fast local cobras were dying to get me on the highway for some roll run redemption. They weren't expecting instaboost.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Sorry, was talking auto. When I brake boost the turbo, I can make like 8 psi and when I let off, it's instant 16+. When I first switched to turbo, the fast local cobras were dying to get me on the highway for some roll run redemption. They weren't expecting instaboost.
Instaboost (tm). Nice CobraKiller!

Yeah, makes sense that a stalled car has to store up energy in the converter, so I guess we're both right on this one. I do have to give turbos the edge on a roll because of their ability to create gobs of torque at lower RPMs, driver willing. I'm still not changing my vote though.

Quick Reply: turbo vs. procharger