procharger
50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

turbo vs. procharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally like the whine actually lol but i like hearing boost build in a turbo and blow off too
Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i see your poll - but it should say"

Turbo

Supercharger

Both x

I vote both to make "alot of power"
Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
i see your poll - but it should say"

Turbo

Supercharger

Both x

I vote both to make "alot of power"
Edit:

Turbo

Supercharger

Both

Chuck Norris x
Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

X3 FOR CHUCK....

I'd like to add some meat to your discussion

You can adj the boost with a **** on a turbo, gotta remove the blower & change pulleys & belts on a S/C
A S/C runs MUCH cooler
A turbo makes more torque
All things being equal they make around the same HP
A turbo has lag
A SC breaks belts

If you have a 6 sp I would go with a turbo for the belt breaking issue alone. Every s/c car I see with a manual tranny goes thru belts like Lindsay Lohan goes thru mascara.

If you show the car (or ever want to) I would go with a S/C because it's easier to make them pretty & keep them that way. Same answer for long distance road racing. Did I mention turbos make a LOT of heat?

All my S/Cs have been self contained so I can speak to how much of an oil leak problem the turbos are. But my oil cooler leaks ALL the time. It's a synthetic oil problem.

Either way if mileage is a concern, try NOS. But it breaks / blows **** up more often!!!

As for which one is faster, I hear a lot of people on hear say turbos. I think they are about the same. You get better 60's with a bloewr & more MPH with a turbo. Although the fastest cars in the world run blowers....
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadA** SS
i personally like the whine actually lol but i like hearing boost build in a turbo and blow off too
A procharger is a centrifugal supercharger, they are basically turbos that are belt driven. They use bypass valves like Audi, but you can also convert it over to use a BOV and sound the same as a turbo 'bwaaaaaaaaaaa..cshhhhhhhh, bwaaaaaa........ cshhh"

Something to REALLY consider depending on where you live, prochargers are 50 state legal, turbos are rarely legal for on road in any way. I live in Ca and this just pushed me over the edge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQXW...eature=channel
Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

bump..bump..
Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjy7RW1xb0

FFWD to 1:15...

quite honestly i think the difference is clear! S/C'ers for low end, turbos for top end respectively. With the correct setup you can make either do one or the other well, but "its easier to get a dog to bark than to teach a cat to"

the vid above is my 6.0 w/ twin .57mm on only 6lbs making roughly 525whp.

Last edited by bravoboost; 08-05-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

ProCharger Power Takes to Road Courses
Posted on July 9th, 2010 by ProCharger

ProCharger superchargers have long been recognized for the industry-leading power and reliability they provide on both street cars and cars set up for drag racing. Today, more and more ProCharger intercooled supercharger systems are finding their way onto cars built for all-out, high-performance driving on winding road courses and race tracks around North America.

When compared with street driving and drag racing, the demands being placed on a supercharger system operated on a road course are significantly higher. Whereas a street or drag car may only see a few seconds of full-throttle acceleration, a road course car goes through multiple full-throttle applications during a single lap.

With most lapping sessions lasting 20 to 30 minutes, road course drivers spend at least 3/4 of their driving time on the throttle. To put this in perspective, a street car making 12-second 1/4 mile passes would have to make approximately 75 passes to equal the amount of time spent on throttle (and in boost) that a road course driver experiences in just one 20-minute lapping session! That is a LOT of time spent in boost…and that was just one session. A driver at a typical road course lapping day can log as much as two hours of on-track driving time.

C5 ZO6 Corvette

As if a stock ZO6 Corvette wasn’t already the ultimate track car, Tom Snitzer enlisted long-time ProCharger dealer Bob Beam to build an even more wicked track animal. Snitzer’s C5 ZO6 now takes to the track with a built 402-cid LS2 equipped with an intercooled ProCharger F-1C supercharger set up.

On the dyno, this car has laid down 804 rwhp and 728 ft.-lbs. of torque. On the track, it simply lays down rear tire tracks from the exit of every turn.

http://www.procharger.com/supercharger/blog/
Back at Exotic Performance Plus, when we had the D-1SC on the above Corvette at 16 psi and 740 rwhp, the car got 28 mpg on a vacation, the customer took from Chicago to the East Coast and back. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
Someone else mentioned the idle noise. For me this was a major factor in going turbo instead of supercharger. If you pull into a parking lot people will know you have a supercharger because of the whine. If you drive your car alot and go places with your girlfriend the car is going to be seen and heard by others. I like using mine, not just taking it out for a spin and then straight back to lock it up.
Not true... My camaro I had with a d1sc you could always hear it over my built motor/loud exhaust. But my p1sc I have on my c6 right now most people tell me they can't even hear it untill I start getting on it.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Teching In

turblo > stoopercharger because of the mechanical drag on the motor.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How are you cooling these road coarse superchargers? All the prochargers that I have seen get real hot after a pull. So hot that they are noticeably slower after a couple of back to back pulls.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

My opinion,

Properly built turbo setup will out do any centrifugal s/c setup anyday.The only benefit to a s/c is ease of installation.

a s/c uses power from the crankshaft to turn it-to make 1000bhp the engine is actually making much more-so your actually beating up the engine more.

a turbo uses heat energy to make power-the heat energy is lost in other types of engines-basically it's free horsepower

with proper sized turbos,a properly built engine,and proper piping-there is no boost lag-if there is,something isn't right

a turbo will always make more hp than a s/c-especially top end power.

you don't need countless pullies to change boost-in fact with a turbo and the proper boost controller,you can control your boost at any rpm-not just stuck with something you're not happy with.

oem's use turbo's for a reason-there durable and way more effiecient than a centri s/c.

i'm sure i can go on.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Shawn said it best for sure! Agreed!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

bump...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Launching!

prochargers are pretty cool, but dont bring a procharger to a turbo fight.....
Old 08-06-2010, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
My opinion,

Properly built turbo setup will out do any centrifugal s/c setup anyday.The only benefit to a s/c is ease of installation.

a s/c uses power from the crankshaft to turn it-to make 1000bhp the engine is actually making much more-so your actually beating up the engine more.

a turbo uses heat energy to make power-the heat energy is lost in other types of engines-basically it's free horsepower

with proper sized turbos,a properly built engine,and proper piping-there is no boost lag-if there is,something isn't right

a turbo will always make more hp than a s/c-especially top end power.

you don't need countless pullies to change boost-in fact with a turbo and the proper boost controller,you can control your boost at any rpm-not just stuck with something you're not happy with.

oem's use turbo's for a reason-there durable and way more effiecient than a centri s/c.

i'm sure i can go on.

what hes said!!!

footnotes: Turbos own !
Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

bump...
Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

bump.. bump...
Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

technically, turbos aren't really free horsepower; exhaust doesn't like restrictions. and that turbine? yeah. that's not exactly a wide open passage for exhaust to breeze through. is it going to suck up horsepower like a blower attached to the crank? probably not, but it isn't "free" either. just sayin.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Launching!

i remember i had a race with a s/c t/a 2 yrs ago, against my all motor camaro (had cam only, with bolt-ons at the time). it was an even pull from 60 to 130. that didn't impress me at all, but my car was a beast on the top end for what it was then. now, i've ran against motorbikes, from about 60 to 140 and pull them about a bikelength. i need to run against a s/c car to see what it can do.

Quick Reply: turbo vs. procharger