Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Would this style turbo manifold work on a 346 FI turbo Build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this style turbo manifold work on a 346 FI turbo Build?

Would this style turbo manifold work on a 346 FI turbo Build?

This is a pic of it set up for a turbo LSX boat motor would it be good for a street/drag car set up w single turbo about 75mm-85mm ?
Attached Thumbnails Would this style turbo manifold work on a 346 FI turbo Build?-header.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... Doesn't seem like it'd clear very well... assuming this was going in an f-body? Why not just do truck manifolds? Cheap, and they work...
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

log manifolds work, but are not the greatest. But, never the less, they will work.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the clearence would be solved by building it so the log sits just above the vavle cover, basicly flipping it upside down from this pic.....whats the down side to log manifolds? Low TQ numbers? spool time?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

They tend to want to crack in certain places. Why not just buy a set of 6.0 manifolds?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya been tinking about that too do they fit well in our enngine bays?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

They look like fitment would be an issue. Also, looks like exhaust flow wouldnt be a smooth transition. It looks like there would be velocity issues. Look into the 6.0 manifolds. I've been doing research on them and they seem to be the way to go. Theres quite a few builds going on at the moment using them
Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
They look like fitment would be an issue. Also, looks like exhaust flow wouldnt be a smooth transition. It looks like there would be velocity issues. Look into the 6.0 manifolds. I've been doing research on them and they seem to be the way to go. Theres quite a few builds going on at the moment using them
velocity should be a ton better over manifolds. when i built the headers pictured above for my boat i eyeballed all the f-body/gto/truck/vette manifolds i had and in every case 1 head was having to flow opposite the direction the manifold was taking it, basically the manifolds have to turn the exhaust big time on 1 side and not the other. so i built the headers so that both sides could basically jus blast the exhaust right past the headers without restriction. inside the logs i slash cut each primary so that exhaust flow would pull from each primary except the frt port of course. banks has a twin turbo kit for bbc dragboat and the internal diameter of the logs is 3in, so i built my lsx logs the same then tapered to the 2.5 in back to squeeze the exhaust pressure down more , which makes for velocity goin thru the ypipe to the turbo. i wanted alot of heat along with flow to spool as fast as possible, gots not tranny brake or linelock in a jetboat hehe my jetboat single turbo kit should flow more than the banks factory bbc kit anyways. i could've laid back the primaries so they looked nice and more like headers but that would meant 1 head would have had that huge turn right at the primaries inside of what i did. the primaries are so deep into the log, there's no way they'd ever crack at the logs or header flanges and my turb is supported, so i'm not expecting crack issues, plus i put a expansion joint in the ypipe to give some heat growth room to it.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Cracking is the main issue with any hot side manifold. I think impatient 1 has one hell of a system there but for everyday use if it is going on a street car the heat, and vibration will eventually get to it. The truck manifold idea is the cheapest, and probably the most durable of all I have seen. Most of my experience gas been on the motorcycle side of turbo charging. And I will tell you that we get to see some pretty amazing things like 701hp out of 1.3 liter motor. I saw it with my own eyes(I couldn't believe it) but never the less it has been done. I have worked with a few AMA Prostar (now defunct) guy's and they consistently see well over 500hp in a run. Most of their headers are replaced annually, because of cracking. Hell one of my buddies had his waste gate blow completely of his bike @ 22psi of boost. The only thing holding it on was the vacum line.

So, long story short! For longevity go with the a manifold. For light weight race application custom turbo header, or a good quality log manifold.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1
velocity should be a ton better over manifolds. when i built the headers pictured above for my boat i eyeballed all the f-body/gto/truck/vette manifolds i had and in every case 1 head was having to flow opposite the direction the manifold was taking it, basically the manifolds have to turn the exhaust big time on 1 side and not the other. so i built the headers so that both sides could basically jus blast the exhaust right past the headers without restriction. inside the logs i slash cut each primary so that exhaust flow would pull from each primary except the frt port of course. banks has a twin turbo kit for bbc dragboat and the internal diameter of the logs is 3in, so i built my lsx logs the same then tapered to the 2.5 in back to squeeze the exhaust pressure down more , which makes for velocity goin thru the ypipe to the turbo. i wanted alot of heat along with flow to spool as fast as possible, gots not tranny brake or linelock in a jetboat hehe my jetboat single turbo kit should flow more than the banks factory bbc kit anyways. i could've laid back the primaries so they looked nice and more like headers but that would meant 1 head would have had that huge turn right at the primaries inside of what i did. the primaries are so deep into the log, there's no way they'd ever crack at the logs or header flanges and my turb is supported, so i'm not expecting crack issues, plus i put a expansion joint in the ypipe to give some heat growth room to it.
Have you got any build pics for this build? be intresting to see.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Have you got any build pics for this build? be intresting to see.
ill look, i may have jus raw metal pics, bout it. i put a thread up under "new member, my dragboat 5.3 turb turd" or something like that. didnt take any pics while i was building the headers and ypipe, within a couple nites out in my shop we had it all built.

sorry, dont have any better pics of the inside of the headers.here's what i have in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turb-turd.html
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang wish I could see the inside of these things they look sweet!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1
ill look, i may have jus raw metal pics, bout it. i put a thread up under "new member, my dragboat 5.3 turb turd" or something like that. didnt take any pics while i was building the headers and ypipe, within a couple nites out in my shop we had it all built.

sorry, dont have any better pics of the inside of the headers.here's what i have in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turb-turd.html
Some very nice boats there mate!

Quick Reply: Would this style turbo manifold work on a 346 FI turbo Build?