Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ROUND 4, LQ4 TC78 Front Mount GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice.. i have to watch this for update cuz imy progress is almost backwards...

i know i am goin with the 80 right off the bat.. as soon as it gets here its goin to the builder.. he has a chevy 1500 4x4 that makes 700+ tq through the t-case on n2o so im sure my lighter turbo car wont be as hard on it..

i think im goin to wait to start my build thread til i am making better progress.. but it will happen soon...
Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yelo04goat
nice.. i have to watch this for update cuz imy progress is almost backwards...

i know i am goin with the 80 right off the bat.. as soon as it gets here its goin to the builder.. he has a chevy 1500 4x4 that makes 700+ tq through the t-case on n2o so im sure my lighter turbo car wont be as hard on it..

i think im goin to wait to start my build thread til i am making better progress.. but it will happen soon...
bump that! i wanna see pics! lol.

Get a thread up, that way we can see what your doing and help out if ya need a hand
Old 04-22-2011, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

LOL well i got the gforce1320 lvl 2 axles and bolt together stubs in arp wheel studs and doin the coilovers starting next week. that would be the end of the thread
should get my shortblock next week

i want to see some times out of you ride man.. you should be out here its nice and sunny here in central cali.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I wish i was somewhere where its nice, but i dont think cali and emissions testing is exactly for me, lol.

Thats a good start to a thread though man! Lets see it!

Ill get to the track at sometime, my luck ill run a 14.50 lmao! and a break something at the 1/8th mile!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

break at the 1/8 and still run a 14.5 not bad HAHA..

the smog crap is for the people that "live" here.. HAHa my cars are tagged in kansas so i can do what i want... i did get pulled over once.. "did you know you didnt have tailpipes???" i acted like i had no idea... guess they dont know what dumped exhaust looks like.

i will say your doin alot of the work i want to do yourself thats awesome.. i am having some of it done for me.. hotside and tune for sure..
Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

break at the 1/8 and still run a 14.5 not bad HAHA..

the smog crap is for the people that "live" here.. HAHa my cars are tagged in kansas so i can do what i want... i did get pulled over once.. "did you know you didnt have tailpipes???" i acted like i had no idea... guess they dont know what dumped exhaust looks like.

i will say your doin alot of the work i want to do yourself thats awesome.. i am having some of it done for me.. hotside and tune for sure..
I think you should def try your own hotside, for a couple hundred bucks in steel its a great experience, and if it doesnt go well, then your out some time and a couple hundo.

It was worth the risk to me to not have to pay someone a **** ton of money, if worst comes to, cut and tack all your stuff together and take it to a friend to weld for you or a shop. either way, save you alot of cash.

And i def have someone else tune for me. He's doing a pretty good job, the only thing that bums me out is ive done almost this entire thing myself and im not learning to tune and tuning it.

Id love to learn to tune, if for nothing more then the gratification of knowing that i did this build with very little help. That means alot to me. Not sure why. it just does.

Takes me back to an old episode of Home Improvement when Tim spent alot of time building his hotrod and Bob Villa bought one, he beat Tim, but Tim was still happy, he built it him self.

Wow, listen to me, quoting Home Improvement, LMAO!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

that show is the best!

the welding isnt the problem im fairly talented with a tig torch.. i might try it or just work with the builder helping him.. he is a buddy so i get decent deals.. we will see...

ok i should get back to work.. will will try and get a thread startedsoon
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys get you TC7x's done! They are fun

http://www.vimeo.com/21867405?ab
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Guys get you TC7x's done! They are fun

http://www.vimeo.com/21867405?ab
Had mine out yesterday
Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Had mine out today on good old 4lbs, cold DRs and i was getting sideways when the boost came in

still nothing in first, but we havent really worked on it all. I havent watched that Vid yet, but i will now!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

UPDATE TIME-------------------This is gonna be a long read, sorry.

A friend came over and we went for a ride, well, ive been having trouble with really getting anymore boost then 5 or 6lbs and more recently, after my last attempt to fix the issue, only about 3-4.

So, anyway, i decided to give him a ride, as suspected, uneventful to me with the low boost and lack of first gear boost in general.

He decides we are GOING to figure this **** out. SO we started by attempting to use the boost controller in the fashion in which Halmen says to use it.

NOTHING, so we decided to just remove every line going to the wastegate and just run it and see what happens. Amazingly, boost climbs to 7lbs, the gate opens, and boost flat lines,

This is weird because their is 7lbs worth of springs in my PTE 44mm wastegate and NO LINES RUNNIG TO IT. Odd, so with that said, i must have a monster backpressure issue. Is my assumption at this point. Until i measure it and debunk it.

SO, i referenced the manifold to the bottom of the gate and then used the compressor from outlet the turbo to the MBC and took that to the top port of the gate to apply pressure to the top. (tried this a couple weeks ago, but didnt it wrong, i guess)

After a few trial and errors, MBC are very touchy and require very small adjusts, much smaller then i thought.

Anyhow, With the manifold going to the bottom port, the compressor going through the MBC to the top port, i was able to get her to lock in on 9lbs, I will be going to 12.

Anyway, 9lbs AFR were alittle fat, 10.7-9 but id rather them be their when im testing things. ANyway, it sustained 9lbs through 2 and 3rd without creep, i was very happy about this.

OK, after all this, we, HE, lol, decided we would tackle the no boost in first gear issue.

His first thought, lets remove the "air filter" that i made, and see what happens.

HOLY ****! I brought it up on the brakes, got it around 2100rpm the tires let loose so i let off the brakes and gunnned it. HOLY ****! Boost started building fairly quickley, i think it should be faster, but we have alot more tuning to do, either way, the car went was just burning the tires off, so i let out, it grabbed, i got back in it, shifted to second and it went back sideways again.

So, moral of the story, I need to make a better filter as it is far to restrictive, that turbo just lights up now in second and third gear, i think we can help first with some more timing down low leading into boost.

Anyways, thought id drop a LONG update with a few things, the 4l60 is still holding, still cant get it to shift to third gear without letting out of the throttle. But we are getting their.

NO clue on numbers, But this thing is feeling incredible right now. Cannot wait until we get a chance to lean her out some and add some timing!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

that update was better then no update... keep it up man...

i was hoping for numbers though LOL
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

that update was better then no update... keep it up man...

i was hoping for numbers though LOL
Now that we have all the bugs worked out, i might try to get her on the dyno in a couple weeks, only bug really left to work out is the 2->3 shift at wot, itll shift fine if we set the shift point at 5500 but i want to shift 6-6100 but each time we move the shift point up their, it does shift, if just acts like its limited.

We'll get her figured out...
Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Good luck bro... but you don't need a 2-3 shift @ wot on the rollers...lol.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

Just glad I got to stick my head out the window like a dog and listen to your waste gate open!! weee hawww! LMAO...

Its dangerous when ol jax and rossko hit the streets of danville, IN LOL

and thanks for the plug help man..seemed to work well...

and P.S. I went back to that tire shop...he was open and switched them out for much better size...

sorry off topic... inside thing LOL
Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Nice update, what are you doin for the filter issue? From what i remember i dont think there was much room there to get a bigger filter in.

Next i see you out i wanna see this car at 100% lol
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Good luck bro... but you don't need a 2-3 shift @ wot on the rollers...lol.
Lol, i know, i know!

Originally Posted by Rossko85
Just glad I got to stick my head out the window like a dog and listen to your waste gate open!! weee hawww! LMAO...

Its dangerous when ol jax and rossko hit the streets of danville, IN LOL

and thanks for the plug help man..seemed to work well...

and P.S. I went back to that tire shop...he was open and switched them out for much better size...

sorry off topic... inside thing LOL
I really did figure you would go back their, lol. I know you all too well.

And no problem on the plugs, like i told trevor the other day when i was working on his car,

Its nice to work on some one elses car for a change, lol, Oh you owe me $150 for my knuckle buster on your car

Originally Posted by jrob56
Nice update, what are you doin for the filter issue? From what i remember i dont think there was much room there to get a bigger filter in.

Next i see you out i wanna see this car at 100% lol
I doubt itll be 100% by then, itll never be 100%

LOL, but it will be ready to do some runs

To be honest, as long as i feel this trans is holding up right, and we can get the 2 -> 3 shift happen without fail, then itll likely go to the track before it sees the dyno.

After the back road runs yesterday, i wanna heat theses tires up good and make a couple passes!

Hell we took the car to breakfest this morning with the inlaws and i was "gettin it" the whole way their and back, lol
Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Bought a turbo blanket too

Greddy Profec B specII should be here tomorrow, so ill have pretty carbon fibre installed pics to show then and hopefully a new video.

Manual controller is spiking. When i parked the car the other night, it was solid 9lbs, took it out last night, and it was boosting 11lbs. So im parking her until the new controller gets here.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

whos blanket? hows it fit the tc78? Looks good!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Same, how thick is it?

Quick Reply: ROUND 4, LQ4 TC78 Front Mount GTO