Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1987 Iroc with a 355 and Vortech Ysi/megasquirt and complete repaint

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

great build and thanks for the updates, will you have it going again within the month?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We pulled the T5 last night and got the T56 sitting in the garage.

Looks like it broke third gear and the cluster gear below it.

Somehow I lost the T/A bracket(looked back at previous pictures and it was there before.....HMMMMMMMMMMMMM, but thanks to slownova I should be getting one tomorrow.

Hopefully I can get a crossmember made, my parts clutch in, and my Moser rear end parts in, so that I can HOPEFULLY make dragging rights...
Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATES!

Went a little overboard with the cleaning of the 6-speed before I put it in, but oh well.. at least I'll know it's right!

Before

After!

Got the billet SBC to LT1 T56 conversion flywheel in, along with a Spec stage 3 clutch. VERY nice looking piece!

Flywheel on...

Insert flywheel here!

Tranny in with a custom cross-member made by Deanj. It fits so much better than any aftermarket options!

Although I don't have any pictures of it yet, I used the stock master and slave and made a custom stainless steel line to extend the slave to a point that it would make it to the new position of the slave on the T56.

Initial tests of the clutch show it releasing at a great spot. Hopefully it will be the same once the car is running!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, got a nice expensive box from Moser! Mine is the one on the right. Specs are

-31 spline wavetrack
-31 spline "street" axles
-3.50 gears
-aluminum pinion support with 1350 yoke
-nodular steel case

Rear ready to go in!

Bananaman himself accessing the situation!

Baer brakes back on....

Custom torque Arm... Fits great and is BEEFY! Thanks Dean

She's in!!!!!

Custom made torque arm!

[img]http://jonsmithphoto.com/nuffnuffz28/1987Iroc/IMG952780.jpg[img]

Almost!

Lowered on 315s......

Still have to get the drive-shaft fixed, few bolts, install shifter, hook up speedo/reverse lights, and tie up things under the car. Hopefully just a few hours more of work. Unfortunately no speedo until I install my Autometer gauge cluster!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

So fine!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

DAMNIT....... Another sad update, but it happens when you are trying to put together a car in a way that no one has done. Either way a LOT has been done recently, so I think this will be a rather long update!

Got the clutch, transmission, and rear all in. Had to custom make some brackets/mounts, etc but not too bad of a swap over all. When everything was together I noticed the car would not turn over easily. After some looking into things I found out the slave was pushing the clutch fork TOO far and causing it to rub the pressure plate. Ended up being able to space the slave back and clear the pp while still releasing all the way. Went a LITTLE too far and ended up overexerting my slave and it busting out of the end.

ONE Advance Auto slave later we are in business(with it not spaced quite so far back and moving the clutch safety switch and 2-step up, so that I don't have to push it all the way down and risk ruining the slave again, I'm driving.) Clutch did release at the top, but worked great and released smoothly. The rear was quiet as well. Put about 100 miles or so on it and all seemed well.... I decided to throw a little power on it and see how it would work as we were trying to make Draggin' Rights. It chirped the tires a little from 50ish and when I pushed in the clutch to shift early into 3rd, the pedal felt very weird. Slowed down and noticed it wasn't going into any gear well. Lost the clutch.....

Limped it home and checked the slave and everything was fine. After looking into it, I noticed the clutch would release, but at the VERY bottom and was chattering. Reluctantly, I pulled the tranny and found the right side of the pressure plate was bent(like the clutch fork was pulling it too far). Pulled off the whole assembly and luckily it fit in a $15.95 If it fits, It ships box! Spec should be getting it tomorrow. They are going to repair the PP and check everything else and send it out to me. I have already picked up a 1988 Cavalier slave cylinder(which throws about 1" less) and should be perfect for the T56 tranny, and thirdgen pedals...

On a bright note the 3.50 gear in the rear and 6-speed is a GREAT combo with the TPI. Can't wait to get it right!

Also, in other news I got some new polished valve covers that go over the AFR head rail(which is a horrible design) and have stopped, or at least SLOWED down my leak there).

I did pick up a new hood to replace my flimsy Iroc Daytona style hood from MWilson last week. I think it will look better and obviously work MUCH better than the flimsy thing I have on there now! I know I have NO pics, but I promise to get some soon. We took some, but they are still on my cousins phone.

Here is the hood I bought....

Next(while I wait on the clutch), I will be starting on installing my Autometer gauge cluster that we made many years ago and just never got around to installing, BOY, do I hate wiring!

I guess that's all the updates for now.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fwiw if you installed 4th gen pedals it would have saved you all that aggravation.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by j88l98irocz
Fwiw if you installed 4th gen pedals it would have saved you all that aggravation.

Yes, I know that and have a set, BUT 1) they don't mount as strongly as the thirdgen pedals and 2) I have a 12 point cage that I HATE crawling around under
Old 12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, after my clutch issues I sent my complete clutch/flywheel/pressure plate back to Spec for inspection to make sure everything would work well if I got the slave issue figured out. They replaced the pressure plate and rebalanced the clutch/flywheel assembly. I am very pleased with their customer service and turn-around. That's why we have been dealing with them so long! To fix the problem of the slave being over-exerted I did some research and luckily found that a 1988 Cabilier 4-cylinder slave pushes an 1" less than an Iroc one with the same amount of master throw, so I grabbed one. Here you can see the difference between the two. The third gen one is up top. It's slimmer body takes much less fluid to push out the plunger compared to the lower Cavalier one...

Reassembled everything with the new slave and it now starts to release just a couple inches off of the floor and right in the middle of the pedal throw. I have around 40 miles on it so far and could not be happier! I hope my transmission wows are finally finished!

Also, Dusty came over and helped me finish up the gauges. With the custom gauge cluster I was able to eliminate the a-pillar gauges completely. The only thing not in the cluster is teh tach and the wide-band(which will be mounted to the left of the factory gauge cluster in front of the vents on the roll-bar)

Couple cool gopro pictures of the gauges

T56 complete with T/A shift **** painted trim black and 6-speed decal!

Richardcranium came over and snapped a couple rolling shots, although it was getting dark. here is my favorite so far!

Been my plate for 15 years!

And, this is a dark video(starts at 2:25) from one of the first rides in it with the T56 right, 9", and autometer gauges. I know its a lot of pictures at the beginning, but I haven't done many videos yet. I promise to get more soon!

Hoping everything will continue to work well and I can possibly get to the track soon!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Man, that car is beautiful. I wish i had have kept my mint 88 iroc. I have never recovered with a car as nice since i got rid of it. I am envious to say the least. Nice build.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you very much man. With all the issues it's been a labor of love for sure. I won't give up!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Any other plans for it? Where did you get that front fascia?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is custom made...

Next is meth, door bar swing-outs, clean up the tune and fix a couple small oil leaks...Nothing major at the moment!

Oh yeah.... Drag race it some.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

New updates....... but nothing too big.

track outing=very sad

trapped 100 in the 1/8th spinning badly and going lean so had to back out. Looks like a new aeromotive filter is all I need so that's good. Just need to do some more logs and make sure I have the fuel to support my power level. I think I do.

Also, my 60" was 2.5, whoops. I never wanted to do that again, so I ordered a set of race star wheels for the car.

17x9.5 rear and 17x7 front. The rears have 5.25" backspacing and tuck in NICELY. More than my 19's.

Installed a 4th gen factory hurst shifter. VERY good improvement there... Now, just trying to figure out how we want to move the shifter to the left about 2".

Also, I'm in the middle of installing a snow meth kit. That way, once the tune is 100% done, we can add that to the mix and up the timing for more power. Hoping for 700 rwhp at that point.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good. Getting there.

Look into MGW shifters. I have my fbody shifter with a 03-04 cobra handle that is set 2 inches offset and can rotate. I needed mine to set left also and damn does it feel great.

Ran me $220 or so then 60 for a mustang T56 shifter ball that feels great.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, OK. Thanks for that information.

Going to throw some 17" ET streets on the rears soon!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fronts:

Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Few small updates.....

17" Race star wheels installed and ready........

26"x11.5 ET streets in the rear and 225/50r17 in the front.

Added a meth kit(all hidden except for the tank and line going into the elbow, of course)

Working on tuning still. Leaned it out a little as the new fuel filter made it rich everywhere under boost. In the low/mid 11's under boost with the meth. I think we are closing on the tune pretty good at this point. Few small issues, but ironing them out one at a time...

No pictures, BUT Dentfix has a Harwood cowl hood he is setting up for me. I can't wait to get rid of this hood and go to a regular 2 1/2" cowl.

Quick Reply: 1987 Iroc with a 355 and Vortech Ysi/megasquirt and complete repaint