Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS9 cam in a turbo 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
How could you perform dozens of cam changes and many many hours on the dyno to select a cam that is perfect for his setup on the dyno for only $250 ?

That's impossible.

Or are you suggesting he guesses a camshaft that might work and try that for $250 ?
There is a lot more to camshaft than dyno numbers. I would like to hear about some single power adder(no bottle on on top) real world combos that are showing all this proven power at the track. A honest 1000HP will push a 3700LB car into the 8's @150+ mph. Who's doing it with this cam single power adder.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pro choice

You pay alot of money, now you hired a pro, n THAT makes it better.......

Yeah, ok. You keep running WITH the crowd, its those of us who experriment and do our own work who run ahead of the crowd.

Btw.......ls9 cams wont work......hahahaha
Old 04-10-2011, 02:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by stock48
There is a lot more to camshaft than dyno numbers. I would like to hear about some single power adder(no bottle on on top) real world combos that are showing all this proven power at the track. A honest 1000HP will push a 3700LB car into the 8's @150+ mph. Who's doing it with this cam single power adder.
And where have I stated anything relating to your question ?

The quote I referenced to is where someone suggested a person can pick an optimal camshaft for a setup with no testing whatsoever. That is impossible. The ONLY way to select an optimal cam is through REAL testing. Not guesswork.

I never stated anywhere that an LS9 or cam would be optimal by any means. But you are guaranteed it is a safe choice, and it will work with virtually any turbo build. Just like the LS6 camshaft. Wont matter if it's an efficient setup, or a very inefficient setup, it will produce good power with ease.

It wasnt that long ago MM was producing over 800rwhp or thereabouts with a totally stock F-Body camshaft without actually realising what cam he had been using due to a mix up.
Once again proof that mild cams can make good power.

Look at most OEM turbo engines, all with mild cams. It isnt difficult or unlreastic to achieve well in excess of 200bhp per litre with those. Once again proof those mild camshafts do work.

Yes of course improvements can be made, but to suggest anyone can pick the "optimal" camshaft for each individual build without actual testing, is total bullshit.

They may pick a camshaft that will produce good power, and perhaps better than some others. But they will never know if it is optimal without testing because there are too mane outside variables.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And where have I stated anything relating to your question ?

The quote I referenced to is where someone suggested a person can pick an optimal camshaft for a setup with no testing whatsoever. That is impossible. The ONLY way to select an optimal cam is through REAL testing. Not guesswork.

I never stated anywhere that an LS9 or cam would be optimal by any means. But you are guaranteed it is a safe choice, and it will work with virtually any turbo build. Just like the LS6 camshaft. Wont matter if it's an efficient setup, or a very inefficient setup, it will produce good power with ease.

It wasnt that long ago MM was producing over 800rwhp or thereabouts with a totally stock F-Body camshaft without actually realising what cam he had been using due to a mix up.
Once again proof that mild cams can make good power.

Look at most OEM turbo engines, all with mild cams. It isnt difficult or unlreastic to achieve well in excess of 200bhp per litre with those. Once again proof those mild camshafts do work.

Yes of course improvements can be made, but to suggest anyone can pick the "optimal" camshaft for each individual build without actual testing, is total bullshit.

They may pick a camshaft that will produce good power, and perhaps better than some others. But they will never know if it is optimal without testing because there are too mane outside variables.
This 250.00 cam keeps being talked up vs a 350.00 ~375.00 custom turbo cam cam like it's the deal of the century, and a great turbo cam. I have seen this cam in action, and belive it's not even close. Show me and I will give credit where credit is do. I am all for the mild camshafts. I have personally been mid 9's at close to 5000lbs 4x4 truck with a mere 215* @.050'' and .566''. Just ran mid 10's at 6000' elevation today in a 4860lb truck with a 212 @.050'' cam, and TC76 on a stock longblock lq4 down to the TTY head bolts. Im not questioning the mild cams Im questioning the 121* LSA, huge forward split. A turbocharged, and supercharged cam shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. I think it's a great cam in the application GM desinged it for, being a SUPERCHARGED light weight corvette, with a restrictive exhaust, and having to meet strict California emissions standards. Given the choice between the two I would pick the stock LS1 cam any day turbocharged, and something else supercharged.....

Last edited by stock48; 04-10-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

This 250.00 cam keeps being talked up vs a 350.00 ~375.00 custom turbo cam cam like it's the deal of the century, and a great turbo cam. I have seen this cam in action, and belive it's not even close. Show me and I will give credit where credit is do. I am all for the mild camshafts. I have personally been mid 9's at close to 5000lbs 4x4 truck with a mere 215* @.050'' and .566''. Just ran mid 10's at 6000' elevation today in a 4860lb truck with a 212 @.050'' cam, and TC76 on a stock longblock lq4 down to the TTY head bolts. Im not questioning the mild cams Im questioning the 121* LSA, huge forward split. A turbocharged, and supercharged cam shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. I think it's a great cam in the application GM desinged it for, being a SUPERCHARGED light weight corvette, with a restrictive exhaust, and having to meet strict California emissions standards. Given the choice between the two I would pick the stock LS1 cam any day turbocharged, and something else supercharged.....
Were you at Bandi yesterday with your white regular cab? If so, your ride is legit.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
Were you at Bandi yesterday with your white regular cab? If so, your ride is legit.
That was me up there on the brakes, and ideling out lol
Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

That was me up there on the brakes, and ideling out lol
We noticed that...lol

My Camaro club was watching you run and we heard you get off it at the 3/4 mark. Quick truck you got there my friend.

And not to take away from the thread, but I'll agree with Stock48 that the LS9 isn't super ideal for turbo applications. So many variables that comprise an optimal camshaft that just sticking in an LS9 and hoping for the best isn't a good game plan.

If you're on a budget then I'd just stick with the LS6 - tried and true FI cam. Otherwise I'd get one custom ground for your application and goals.

Vince
Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Wow this progressed pretty fast, I ended up finding an LS6 cam
You didn't make a bad choice. The LS6 cam will work well with your combo. I've seen plenty of budget 5.3 turbo builds using the LS6 cam. In fact, Hot Rod magazine did a budget 5.3 single turbo build using the LS6 cam with good results. So good that for a while, it was hard to purchase a good LS6 cam for less than $150 when before the article ran, you could get one for $100 or even less.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually sold the LS6, going with the Brutespeed cam

Quick Reply: LS9 cam in a turbo 5.3?