Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bov

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bov

I am assembling/ building a procharger system and will be running the D1SC. Not sure what boost i will push with it, but knowing me I will be running it as hard as possible at some point. My question is why does everyone run prochargers race bov instead of another brand like tial? It seems you can find the Tial bov's for about half the price of a procharger red raceing bov, so am i missing something? What bov would be recommended for my application?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a quick search bov vs bypass valve. Big red is a bypass valve and is used specifically for supercharger applications. Hope this helps
Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

I ran a tial 50mm bov for a while on my lt1. Had to get a custom spring that allowed it to open at idle. Worked great. Can't use it with a maf sensor though.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhistlingZ
I ran a tial 50mm bov for a while on my lt1. Had to get a custom spring that allowed it to open at idle. Worked great. Can't use it with a maf sensor though.
why couldn't you run a maf?

Basically what i could find reading other posts was you can run a BOV but you need a lighter spring so it is open under vaccum (at idle etc...) then closes under boost. A couple people said that Tial had supercharger springs for them, so with the right spring i'm assuming it will work and thinking about going this direction since they are so common and much cheaper.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

I guess you could run a MAF if it is AFTER the BOV. This way if the BOV releases air, it is un-metered air.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Oh okay i see what you are talking about. I was actually planning on installing either the BOV of the bypass valve before the intercooler. This way it releases the pressure before it comes back into the blower, and also so you aren't heating up the intercooler with air you will not be using anyway. not sure if this is how most are done?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhistlingZ
I guess you could run a MAF if it is AFTER the BOV. This way if the BOV releases air, it is un-metered air.
correct

maf before the bov and it goes pig rich and idle surges/stalls
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gpr
Oh okay i see what you are talking about. I was actually planning on installing either the BOV of the bypass valve before the intercooler. This way it releases the pressure before it comes back into the blower, and also so you aren't heating up the intercooler with air you will not be using anyway. not sure if this is how most are done?
when you dump pressure, it doesn't matter where it is as long as the air can escape

put the bov where the vacuum line will be the shortest
Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

i have procharger D1 on my 395 stroker. Have oil in charge pipes. Would like to install BOV. Is this possible and would it help?
Also..is there a kit? I have the Dual intercooler set up.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 05:06 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to bump this back up. I have read more about people using the tial 50mm BOV on procharger kits, but they have to use a special spring for it to work properly. What spring should i run with a supercharger. Thought i read -3, is this correct? I'm seriously considering running the tial bov instead of procharger bypass since it is $150 cheaper.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the Vortech mondo BPV on my setup. Its cheaper then the red race valve and works just fine. I ordered mine off summit and it was like 300 for the valve and flange. A BOV with the right spring will work too. The more boost you run, the bigger the valve you need.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stepuptata
i have procharger D1 on my 395 stroker. Have oil in charge pipes. Would like to install BOV. Is this possible and would it help?
Also..is there a kit? I have the Dual intercooler set up.
Thanks
you need a catch can sir.

your dual intercooler should already have a bypass valve, its that little black thing with the linkage on it. thats ur BOV/bypass valve. i guess you could run 2 if ya wanted.....
Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

He needs a catch can and a properly routed PCV system.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
I run the Vortech mondo BPV on my setup. Its cheaper then the red race valve and works just fine. I ordered mine off summit and it was like 300 for the valve and flange. A BOV with the right spring will work too. The more boost you run, the bigger the valve you need.
It looks like there are a few out there running a tial with a supercharger, but was wondering where they get the special spring for the superchargers at? I don't even see it listed on Tial's website.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gpr
It looks like there are a few out there running a tial with a supercharger, but was wondering where they get the special spring for the superchargers at? I don't even see it listed on Tial's website.
you just need to specify it's for a blower at time of order and need the hot pink spring

Quick Reply: Bov