Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1500HP recipe drag only turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500HP recipe drag only turbo build

Iam about to get started building a turbo drag only car prob for the drag radial class and was wondering as far as the engine goes what block and all internals would be the best. And I'am curious on the heads and rockers arms. Budget is high so I plan on the best of everything. Not sure yet of a twin set up or big single.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1nutZ28
Iam about to get started building a turbo drag only car prob for the drag radial class and was wondering as far as the engine goes what block and all internals would be the best. And I'am curious on the heads and rockers arms. Budget is high so I plan on the best of everything. Not sure yet of a twin set up or big single.
Call josh at KYTP HE WILL hook you up...
Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 AM
9 Second Club

If money is not an issue then I'd go twins just for flexability sake. I'd also go with a block that can handle that kind of structural pressure.

Here's a build that I was looking at.
http://www.thomsonautomotive.com/?page=lsengines.cfm

LSX block forged rotating assembly and heads that can clamp those forces. 2000+ Crank HP. Twin 88's.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

if the budget is pretty high why stop @ 1500 ? maybe an erl sd1 or rhs block with some decent 6 bolt heads with a twin 76 setup or single 101/106 or a 94/98 and a solid fuel system with a good a/w intercooler. i have no idea about the rules for the radial class so u may need to check to see what's allowed.
as everyone says though, whatever you think it is gonna cost,it will wind up costing quite a bit more than expected so be prepared.good luck
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

1500rwhp is not hard to make. Problem with 1500rwhp is that in most Drag Radial classes its gonna take alot more. If you are thinking Outlaw Drag Radial then you need to be thinking 2000+ rwhp.

Engine block opinions will vary greatly. You have the LSX block, ERL, VA Speed, RHS, and so on. Each with their own advantages/disadvantages. Same goes for Heads and Valve train. Internals I like Callies Billet Crank, Billet or Aluminum Rods, and a number of different options on pistons.

The Single Vs Twin turbo debate depends on the type of Class or Classes you wanna run. Either can be built to run the Number. Alot of guys do Big Singles with great results. Alot of Guys do Big Twins with Great results.

At the end of the day there are alot of variables. Best bet is to sit down and call some shops up and see what they recommend. We all have different approaches to the same end result.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
1500rwhp is not hard to make. Problem with 1500rwhp is that in most Drag Radial classes its gonna take alot more. If you are thinking Outlaw Drag Radial then you need to be thinking 2000+ rwhp.

Engine block opinions will vary greatly. You have the LSX block, ERL, VA Speed, RHS, and so on. Each with their own advantages/disadvantages. Same goes for Heads and Valve train. Internals I like Callies Billet Crank, Billet or Aluminum Rods, and a number of different options on pistons.

The Single Vs Twin turbo debate depends on the type of Class or Classes you wanna run. Either can be built to run the Number. Alot of guys do Big Singles with great results. Alot of Guys do Big Twins with Great results.

At the end of the day there are alot of variables. Best bet is to sit down and call some shops up and see what they recommend. We all have different approaches to the same end result.
TWINS
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you run X275 you are limited to a single turbo as well. Make sure you get the rules for the class you want to run before you have to spend money on stuff that may or may not be legal next year.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
if you run X275 you are limited to a single turbo as well. Make sure you get the rules for the class you want to run before you have to spend money on stuff that may or may not be legal next year.
X275 single 88. Outlaw 275 Twins. Definatley get the rules. I spec Turbo setups daily for guys looking to step up into class racing. The Specific class rules are alway taken into consideration. This is a super exspensive Hobby we all have. At the end of the day you have to treat it like a Business itself.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was size twins does O/L 275 allow?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first thing you need to do is see if there is a class you would like to race and then gear your combo toward those rules. Interals vary alot depending on the end goal-you can get to 1500 hp several ways depending on rules and such,that will determine what to use in the engine.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys every thing is helpful. I have 16 years experience in the diesel super stock tractor pulling class so iam no stranger to turbos but iam new to this. I forgot to say that I think I want to run on alcohol also.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Was size twins does O/L 275 allow?
RPM outlaw is twin 91's on a BB no other restrictions

King of the Street (275SR) no turbo BB, any size SB + single turbo (certain CI subject to additional weight penalties) Garrett GT47\88, Turbonetics HP\88, & Precision HP\8847H - maximum size of 88.0 mm /3.464” – inducer wheel diameter at the point where the leading edge of the compressor wheel meets the inlet housing. Inlet housing is permitted a maximum inlet diameter of 3.544”where the leading edge of the compressor wheel meets the housing.

Couldnt find any rules for NDRRA outlaw 275
ORTC doesnt run outlaw 275 that i can find.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys every thing is helpful. I have 16 years experience in the diesel super stock tractor pulling class so iam no stranger to turbos but iam new to this. .
OMG here comes 70# + boost Those tractors are nuts with the boost they run.
Seriously, you need to determine a class you want to run so you can build to the rules/restrictions. Are you looking at the LS only, Drag Radial classes or something other?

"I forgot to say that I think I want to run on alcohol also".

Alcohol probably won't be allowed in most "1500 HP" classes depending on what kind of car are you putting this in . Race gas will give you a much wider venue for classes you can run.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Teching In

That right! I'am used to running 150lbs on my tractor it was a twin turbo setup from hypermax in gilberts IL. some of the guys I ran with was running 180 to 200.crazy right? I do understand I need to fig out what classes are out there in my area. The car is a 95 camaro and it will be built with LS engine but not just for LS classes. Drag radial classes are small around central iowa.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go. Crack open a cold one and have a good read. That was a bout 1500 rwhp @ 3650. Includes all the pain and suffering.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...c78s-kytp.html
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

That right! I'am used to running 150lbs on my tractor it was a twin turbo setup from hypermax in gilberts IL. some of the guys I ran with was running 180 to 200.crazy right? I do understand I need to fig out what classes are out there in my area. The car is a 95 camaro and it will be built with LS engine but not just for LS classes. Drag radial classes are small around central iowa.
look into the MDRA they have a nice 275 class and with 1500rwhp on deck Im sure you can do VERY well in that class!

oh, I like my women in two's and my turbos SINGLE!

Quick Reply: 1500HP recipe drag only turbo build