hows the fit in vehical ?
looks really good
Old 06-25-2012, 05:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
hows the fit in vehical ?
looks really good
seem to fit pretty nicely. after i get that last peice welded in i'll take another pic of it mounted. i ran out of time last night. i'm pretty i wont have any issues with alt and p.pump locations with the headers going wide like they are. i kinda test fitted them and it seems to work pretty well.

if i had a better welder and some extra time i'd consider making these and selling them. the second one was actually fun now that i had some learning with the pass. side header.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Launching!

When you installed the radiator onto the support did you build it so the radiator can move as the car flexes? Just don't want to see you crack the radiator core from flexing.

I think you have great skills. Very professional looking!

Subscribed to see you finish!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Adam123
When you installed the radiator onto the support did you build it so the radiator can move as the car flexes? Just don't want to see you crack the radiator core from flexing.

I think you have great skills. Very professional looking!

Subscribed to see you finish!
adam... great point and to be honest i didn't even think anything close to that when i threw this together

i can say the frame i made up although maybe not enough is extremely rigid and i couldn't get it to flex a bit and I'm about 180lbs. i know the car will probably exert more force then that on the support but hopefully with that wounder bar as well and still retaining the the front bumper support i'll get lucky. this will have to be one of those wait and see things lol

thanks for the compliments as well. i've been working on cars for about 5yrs now and its been a fun learning experience. but i must admit i'm getting kinda burnt out on camaros after this being my 8th one that i've stripped down and redone. I'd love to trade for something already done lol

on a side note new part in the mail today 44mm wast gates woohoo .... i love new parts lol
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

just a thought , but couldnt you run solid motor mounts and eliminate the flex
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
just a thought , but couldnt you run solid motor mounts and eliminate the flex
funny you say that, i have a pair of solid motor mounts saved on my ebay watch list thats what i plan on using.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Awesome project. Cant wait to see how it goes. Thumbs up for another guy in MI.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 AM
Launching!

thanks benzy.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Launching!

My Internet connection sucks offshore! What rear gears are you going to run? Also the rear park brake, is it drum under disk rotors or just disk park brake?

The reason I ask is I have a 78 with disk rear and I don't like the park brake setup. I don't even know if I'll connect the park brakes, I don't think its worth the money in my project to buy the hardware to connect them as the old was all frayed and useless when I took it out.

I think you went right with the 4l80 transmission. Same as I'm using, my converter was around 500 but only rated for 600hp.

I used to have a 89 camaro and I remember the transmission mounts from factory were very weak. I replaced on average 4 mounts a year.(I just bought the lifetime warranty mounts so I got them free after the first). I hope you set your mount up better than factory.

Anyways good luck!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

neat projects for sure!!!! very cool that youre doing pretty much everything yourself!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Come on Brian, you know better than to post new parts without a link so I can copy it...lol. Pm me the link as usual if you don't mind brother. I am moving to Tampa in a few weeks so I may have to put the projects on hold until I get my stuff in order. You are making awesome progress by the way. Didn't know you were that burned out on the 3rd gens man. Just finish this one, and see if it does not breathe new life into you.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Adam123
My Internet connection sucks offshore! What rear gears are you going to run? Also the rear park brake, is it drum under disk rotors or just disk park brake?

The reason I ask is I have a 78 with disk rear and I don't like the park brake setup. I don't even know if I'll connect the park brakes, I don't think its worth the money in my project to buy the hardware to connect them as the old was all frayed and useless when I took it out.

I think you went right with the 4l80 transmission. Same as I'm using, my converter was around 500 but only rated for 600hp.

I used to have a 89 camaro and I remember the transmission mounts from factory were very weak. I replaced on average 4 mounts a year.(I just bought the lifetime warranty mounts so I got them free after the first). I hope you set your mount up better than factory.

Anyways good luck!
adam, ya the 4l80e in my opinion was a must. with the hp i'm hoping to make i think it will pay off to invest in building up this trans. if the turbos i have are to small and i need to upgrad... i'll buy bigger turbos and this trans will support pretty much anything i upgrade to

trans mounts... i actually have some of it done. i just didnt want to post up pics till i finish it. i'm making my own and i plan on having it accomidate the torque arm as well.... it's gonna look sharp lol

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
neat projects for sure!!!! very cool that youre doing pretty much everything yourself!!!
thank you spray, i gotta admit all the comments left on this thread has made me proud of it. i thought for sure i'd hear "crappy work" lol so thanks

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Come on Brian, you know better than to post new parts without a link so I can copy it...lol. Pm me the link as usual if you don't mind brother. I am moving to Tampa in a few weeks so I may have to put the projects on hold until I get my stuff in order. You are making awesome progress by the way. Didn't know you were that burned out on the 3rd gens man. Just finish this one, and see if it does not breathe new life into you. [/QUOTE]

link will be sent brother lol
Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Launching!

just quick update. headers are done and ready to go to weld. i pulled the collectors off to clean them up a bit more and spot weld on the piece that goes between the tubes.

my first set of ls turbo headers, 1 3/4 primaries to 3 1/2 collectors oh ya I'm the man ... in a very amateur way lolol

Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Launching!

well no pic update but i did get my tans cross member made up today. not sure I'll get to much approval with it but i might add a little more to it before i take some pics
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Launching!

i had the machine shop where i work notch my flanges so i could flush mount my piping this way i can port match my flange piping to my turbo housing. i plan on port/polishing my turbo housing and i hope this will just help the flow. now i need to figure out how to form the piping to fit the flange.... any advice would be great guys

Last edited by 5.3swap; 07-06-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More awesomeness as usual, I really need to take a road trip up your way one day.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
More awesomeness as usual, I really need to take a road trip up your way one day.
come on out i'd love to see your ride as well
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, you're from Midland too! I'd about given up on the car scene around here. I gotta see this thing some day when you get time.
It's looking great so far
Old 07-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Holy crap, you're from Midland too! I'd about given up on the car scene around here. I gotta see this thing some day when you get time.
It's looking great so far
ya let me know when your around I'd love the company... and motivation to finish this project up
Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3swap
ya let me know when your around I'd love the company... and motivation to finish this project up
You running out of motivation again B? Well don't, lots of people on here looking to your build for guidance, motivation and flat out bad assedness...lol.

Quick Reply: 91 camaro twin turbo 5.3