Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome
Old 09-11-2013, 06:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NebraskaLS1
What an incredible thread!!! Congrats on a great build! Def gets me motivated to get my engine build started.
Thanks! What are you planning on doing?

Originally Posted by blue89irocz
Can't get enough of this thread. My 3 year old loves watching the videos!
Haha Awesome there will be plenty more coming plus some street videos once i get my trans issue fixed.

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
When a customer of mine added gear to run 1/4 mile with a car that makes more power than Doug's, it really needed more RPM and more timing on the leave to get it on it's heels.

Keep the timing at 20-22 up till 13-14psi if that's where you're launching. You will be surprised how much timing it likes on 100% C16 if you really start reading the plugs. If Stock48 can go 8.30's@160 with his 3350lb. Nova, you can go 8.60's with a 3650lb. F-body.

Only reason I'm saying this is because your car is hauling some serious hind end, but can still go faster and still has a ton of potential. I think you hurt the bearings the last time from changing rod bolts, and not from power either.
Thanks Martin i'm surprised with the power its making right now. Every Launch was at the same boost 13.4 on the brake all that was done was taking clicks out of the front shocks. There is still a lot to try to get the launch down perfect but 1.35 seemed like a great number but i think it has more.......... Once i try some C i'll bump up the timing and see if it leaves harder. I'll be able to tell by my 1/8th MPH 8.60's would be unbelievable but i am not shooting for that LOL. I do have only a 2.5 bar but maybe before the end of the year i'll just buy a 3 Bar MAP
I dont think the last motor went from power either after seeing all the bearings how they looked it was an oiling issue and the oiling came from Clearances I think when i had my rods resized they did NOTHING and just had the wrong bearings for it causing it to fail. Either way i'm onto another motor and better times so we will see what this pig can do!!

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Pin the gate shut Doug
Ummm no lol
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Camaro9969;17677796]Thanks! What are you planning on doing?

Something similar to what you are doing! I have a 2001 Z28 M6. As of right now I'm really deciding if its gonna be a LQ4 build or go with a dart ls next block. The question is if the money is worth spending on that block? I want around 1000 to the wheels, but also something I can drive around the city sometimes. Money isn't really an issue, it's just is the ls next block really worth that much more for a bare block?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Thanks! What are you planning on doing?

Something similar to what you are doing! I have a 2001 Z28 M6. As of right now I'm really deciding if its gonna be a LQ4 build or go with a dart ls next block. The question is if the money is worth spending on that block? I want around 1000 to the wheels, but also something I can drive around the city sometimes. Money isn't really an issue, it's just is the ls next block really worth that much more for a bare block?
You keeping the m6 or going auto? I know you want 1000whp but you have a set up in mind of just going with the flow for now?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Just finished reading your entire thread, took 2 days reading here and there lol, but well worth it! Thanks for putting so much detail into your build thread, I definitely picked up some good info that should help with mine. Very impressive work on everything and I like how clean the finished(for now anyways since they're never really finished) product is! Definitely sub'd and can't wait to see some more vids once you get the trans sorted out.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel
Just finished reading your entire thread, took 2 days reading here and there lol, but well worth it! Thanks for putting so much detail into your build thread, I definitely picked up some good info that should help with mine. Very impressive work on everything and I like how clean the finished(for now anyways since they're never really finished) product is! Definitely sub'd and can't wait to see some more vids once you get the trans sorted out.
Awesome glad it was helpful its been a fun/challenging build and the work just keeps on coming! move videos coming up
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM
8 Second Club

Few Street Videos in car
Also went to the track ran 9.26@147 with a 1.30 60' and bouncing on the limiter in 1st
But hurt the motor! It was bound to happen at this power level but my log shows a huge lean spike off the launch im going with that i was low on gas and it starved itself so it was enough to knock a bearing at this level.One other thing i noticed is the rev limiter is fuel based and when i hit the limiter i cant see how thats good for stock internals also. Really sucks but to be expected either way i'm happy with the power and will need a couple days break before i decide what i want to do. Once i pull the motor either i'll fix this or i have someone who said he will give me a 5.3 to try so that could be a great little experiment on power and spool up. Here we go again! Its been a busy year

Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM
8 Second Club

Video a friend took
Old 09-15-2013, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice Doug!

If you go 5.3 you will definitely need a cam change. The TU2 IMO is much too large for a 5.3.

I have two really nice turbo 5.3 cams that are in the low to mid 220 intake duration range.

What did you end up doing with the tune-up and launch RPM?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hitting the stock rev limiter like you said is not good at all especially if you're spraying meth. That's why I use a soft limiter based on timing and set the rev limiter so you won't hit it. This thread has been a fun read with its ups and downs, congrats on getting the thing to running low 9s. You're 60' really came around.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Nice Doug!

If you go 5.3 you will definitely need a cam change. The TU2 IMO is much too large for a 5.3.

I have two really nice turbo 5.3 cams that are in the low to mid 220 intake duration range.

What did you end up doing with the tune-up and launch RPM?
I left it exactly the same 2 step 4200 but left at 14psi instead of 13. I think the lean spike is what did it. I just hope I can slap one bearing in there and let it rip. But a sumped tank is going to be necessary I think

Edit.........I meant to say i have a tune set with timing like you mentioned starting 20ish and going down as boost comes in but i never got a chance to try it out

Last edited by Camaro9969; 09-15-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Hitting the stock rev limiter like you said is not good at all especially if you're spraying meth. That's why I use a soft limiter based on timing and set the rev limiter so you won't hit it. This thread has been a fun read with its ups and downs, congrats on getting the thing to running low 9s. You're 60' really came around.
I actually dont have meth but I agree it is harsh to have fueling coming up and down so violently at that power level on stock parts. Ill change that in my tune if I can.
Thanks man there have been a lot of ups and Downs I could hide the downs and just post numbers but I wanted to keep people on the loop of what can happen with a build. I personally feel it was the low gas level on that 1.30 launch after seeing my log. But really didn't do much to get the 60s down just took out clicks in the rebound on the front shocks and just run junk comp rear shocks. There's still more in the 60' just not sure how much but hopefully ill get motivated to run it again this year for the import vs domestic race in MD
Old 09-15-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

What injectors are you running in this set up? Those vids look super fun man! Car sounds great
Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by oakley6575
What injectors are you running in this set up? Those vids look super fun man! Car sounds great
Thanks man they are the common 80s a lot of us are running twin 255s with -8 feed -6 return 58psi bfp
Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry if you already posted it but how much horsepower are you making and how much does the car weigh? Great build and enjoyed following the thread.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope to see you at import vs domestic race if you are talking about MIR. I too hope to make that race since i missed lsfest by burning up my trans the weekend before and not having a spare converter. I really like your car and it has tempted me many of times to throw on a s480.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike13
Sorry if you already posted it but how much horsepower are you making and how much does the car weigh? Great build and enjoyed following the thread.
The car weighs 3670 with me in it.
As for hp if i went by estimated hp its around 800whp 900 Crank (not sure how accurate this is)

Originally Posted by kvelasco1
Hope to see you at import vs domestic race if you are talking about MIR. I too hope to make that race since i missed lsfest by burning up my trans the weekend before and not having a spare converter. I really like your car and it has tempted me many of times to throw on a s480.
I sure know about trans problems as well lol
Yes that is the race i wanted to go to hope to see you there also! I'll take a couple days off to just relax then maybe pull the motor and see what happened.....
Old 09-16-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The way it goes Doug. I know your happy with the times but at the same time frustrated at the once again tear down lol.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 AM
9 Second Club

Sorry about your motor man. You seem to have everything working awesome. My trans died Friday night on the dyno. The guy running the dyno (a friend) put the car in reverse at 140 mph after a pull was over. Needless to say, I am on the hunt for another cheap 80e to put in it so I can make a big track day on October 5th.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
The way it goes Doug. I know your happy with the times but at the same time frustrated at the once again tear down lol.
You arent kidding my friend! I just run into stupid issues that pop motors but i'm playing with fire using stock parts on the 900hp level lol

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Sorry about your motor man. You seem to have everything working awesome. My trans died Friday night on the dyno. The guy running the dyno (a friend) put the car in reverse at 140 mph after a pull was over. Needless to say, I am on the hunt for another cheap 80e to put in it so I can make a big track day on October 5th.
Thanks i am a little bummed but actually said friday while installing the trans that anything that happened saturday was a bonus because the motor wont last long haha. If i didnt cut a 1.30 i think the motor would of been fine, it was the lean spike from fuel starving it i believe. But thats in the past...........And WOW he put it in reverse at 140!!!?!?! You must of been pissed. I know of a couple cheap (Stock) 80e's around me but i dont think that will help you at all. What power did it put down before that happened?

Quick Reply: LQ4 S480 Build