Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fairmont 2.0 (forged lq4, s480, 800whp, under new management)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tennerv8
Megasquirt is where it's at. I've never seen a slow car on megasquirt. I've been slowly converting to it. I'm not saying he is fast because he is using megasquirt. I just think that it is overlooked a lot of the time because its not efi live or hp tuners.
I agree with that, and it looks pretty simple to learn. And the auto tune feature looks pretty cool.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

With Denmah using the MSD to control the factory coils and the squirt the injectors why not use hp tuners? Wouldn't an hp tuners be about the same cost as the MSD and squirt combo? Plus with the hp tuners you could get the one with multiple licenses so you could tune multiple cars with it. Just curious.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 408GT
With Denmah using the MSD to control the factory coils and the squirt the injectors why not use hp tuners? Wouldn't an hp tuners be about the same cost as the MSD and squirt combo? Plus with the hp tuners you could get the one with multiple licenses so you could tune multiple cars with it. Just curious.
Not even close, HP Tuners only tunes factory ECM... Not Megasquirt, which is a a stand alone unit, and the MSD which is a stand alone unit....
Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

its easier to slap a MS unit together and plug the msd and ms in than it is to buy or spend the time stripping a stock harness down to make it reasonable to work with
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Would Megasquirt be the way to go on a lsx swap that is going to be a DD upon completion. I never really considered it until this thread.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JAX04
Not even close, HP Tuners only tunes factory ECM... Not Megasquirt, which is a a stand alone unit, and the MSD which is a stand alone unit....
Right, but doesn't the factory ECU control the spark and injectors? What would be the advantage of having a stand alone unit for fuel, and a stand alone unit for spark?

IIRC Denmah said he had ~$500ish in the MSD/squirt combo, and the hp tuners is ~$640. With the hp tuners he could tune multiple vehicles with the same tool, and not have to buy/swap an MSD/Squirt combo for everything he builds.

Or is it just easier to do it with the MSD/Squirt combo??

I know tirefryin_s10 used an hp tuners and truck harness on his twin turbo ls Zephyr, and made ~1100ish to the tires.

I'm just curious as I'm doing a twin turbo ls swap to my Zephyr too, and I'd like to know the best/easiest route to take. I have no experience with either product. Thanks for all the info Denmah and others!! And keep up the good work.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I still say he is pretty budget friendly on the tranny, he traded that for a junkyard 4l60 IIRC and he mentioned that the fuel pump was under $500, and I think the turbo is around $1000.

I'm going to spend the money on mine where it counts IMO, probably a injection/timing setup like Denmah, valve springs, intake, head studs, ls9 head gaskets, fuel system, and cam. Then GT45 turbo, eBay intercooler, eBay piping, eBay wastegate & BOV, and a JY 5.3 or 4.8. I can't wait to start on my setup, hopefully I will start gathering parts this winter
i had a Th400 and a converter rated for no where near the power i was running hahah... now its a 4l80e with a circle D triple billet lockup.

save your blow off valve money, you dont need it lol
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by trav-tech
I think the standard ms map sensor read 20-21 psi max. There is the map daddy up grade that handles up to 40 psi but I'm not certain if it will work on the v2.2 board. It might.
its a 2.5bar it can see 255kpa or 23psi

the map daddy can easily be swapped into the board and see 44psi yes

but not really necessary if im only gunna run 26 or so, ill just walk off the map a little.

itll work with the 2.2 board its just a linear 0-5v sensor that sees more pressure. well the map daddy is actually 2 map sensors and does correction based on external pressure too, pretty neat.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 408GT
i am way more comfortable with a real time simple map sensor stand alone like megasquirt.

i have tuned plenty of cars with hp tuners, and honestly, having a stand alone controlling everything in the car at this point it would have been cheaper to do a stock computer, but since i was running the th400 in the beginning it was cheaper this way.

what i like is it doesnt require licensing no special cable, can see 23psi out of the box, tune on the fly, not overly complicated with tables i dont need etc.

again whats nice about the 3 boxes controlling trans, spark, and fuel is they all have their own settings like msd has 2 step and ignition retard switches built in and i can change the tune on my trans by flipping a switch, and the megasquirt is painfully simple yet powerful.

i would like to build a car with the stock harness and a SD tune upgrade OS with hp tuners, but i cant help but feel like i would be frustrated at times knowing for what i want, the MS was easier, cheaper, and is more effective sometimes. over the years i have seen alot of times where we have to **** around with stock ecu settings and spoof it to do things you want and there are limitations sometimes while trying to reach a goal. it can be good and bad.

i am really really comfortable with ms1's now so i love them

that grey notch i threw on the dyno and had it making 607rwhp WOT in 5 dyno pulls, and under 30 minues basically
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Would Megasquirt be the way to go on a lsx swap that is going to be a DD upon completion. I never really considered it until this thread.
honestly it would work for a bunch of people as a daily drivable unit.

i dont run any Idle air control in my vehicles, but i would say 4/5 of the last cars we have built you can reach in and key it on, and itll idle about 800cold and warm up and idle about 1000 and it will be fine.

the fairmont i hold the throttle a tiny bit like 1/4 when i first start it and wait till my temp gauge hits 100, wich doesnt take long. and then its fine to idle on its own.

i can fire and drive the car immediately by using both pedals.

im going to make videos soon showing both products and how i use them i get about 25 requests a month to show megasquirt how to videos. so ive been telling people its coming.

its a great system and unbelievably simple once you see how it all works.
its not for everyone, but it cant be beat for the price.

MSD6010 is 315 shipped, MS1 v2.2 un assembled with a 8ft harness is 230 dollars (157 for the ecu and 67 for a 8ft harness, +sh) and then i add a junkyard map sensor to the MSD box so it can see boost and vaccum, and i use all the stock sensors on the truck motor.
TPS,IAT,CLT. wire them in and drop base tunes on both and i can key em right over.

so for 550ish you have a stand alone car that will easily accept big power and large injectors and you can tune while you drive.

for some people leaving the stock ecu do alot of work is easier, for other people they dont mind cutting all that fat out of the picture.

Last edited by denmah; 09-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM

in closing i would say, if you are doing a LSX and using a 4l80e or 4l60e it is cheaper to do the stock harness and ECU, my friends 55 truck swap he is running a stock 5.3 stock everything and a 4l60e, he got the wiring harness complete for a swap for like 450 and the ecu flashed for what he wanted for like 100-200 i cant remember, its nice it keys right over no hassles and controls the trans.

if you are doing th400 and you are gunna make 400-600 turbo hp right away using a megasquirt and msd is better, at least in my eyes, tune on the fly, get results right away, 23lbs of boost out of the box, ultimate control over everything without stock limitations in some cases, and a very very simple wiring harness.

these are just my opinions
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the rundown Denmah. Yeah I remember you saying something about making a video of how the squirt works; I would really like to see it. I also want to see you swap out to the 317 heads.

Your car and Neil's car have played a big part in my decision to go the lsx route. And y'alls choice of car has also helped. I actually found your car looking for videos of Neil's car on Youtube! Keep up the good work and videos.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 PM

relatively small community of lsx powered box tops haha or so it seems

the cream dream, parish, me, and skinnies lol

i am going to be doing mild portwork on the heads myself, and then throwing them on with the studs of if i can while its in the car, and the ls9 gaskets i have for my 6.0 motor that isnt done yet.

see what kinda power or improvements they are over the 706s.
if they suck ill throw 243s on and report back haha
Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by denmah
i had a Th400 and a converter rated for no where near the power i was running hahah... now its a 4l80e with a circle D triple billet lockup.

save your blow off valve money, you dont need it lol
I'm going to stay with the 6 speed, otherwise I wouldn't get a BOV
Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id go auto all day with a turbo lsx car. Seems to be the best way.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM

ah yeah, then i would install one or youll lag like a mother between gears unless you have a wotbox
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The day you ran the 9sec pass, did you get a run with out the nitrous? I can bet your car is not gaining much with the nitrous.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adamantium
Id go auto all day with a turbo lsx car. Seems to be the best way.
May be the best way, but "man pedal" stays in my car
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by a4ls2goat
The day you ran the 9sec pass, did you get a run with out the nitrous? I can bet your car is not gaining much with the nitrous.
yeah i bet you are right, 100-125 of nitrous is nothing considering the 400 or so hp i am adding to the tire with the turbo lol
Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Denmah for President 2013!!! People like you make this forum the best on the net....

Quick Reply: Fairmont 2.0 (forged lq4, s480, 800whp, under new management)