Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

who makes Up and forward turbo headers for 4th gen camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who makes Up and forward turbo headers for 4th gen camaro?

Does anyone make up/forward headers for the 4th gen camaro? I knoiw stainless works makes a set of up/forwards but i dont believe they fit the 4th gen as they hit the shock towers. Am I stuck making my own?, which is an option but I am lazy and have money so I would rather buy them lol.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Who told you they hit the shock towers?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Stainless works make some
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ws602
Stainless works make some
This. Here is a pic of mine
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Oh nice! Thanks guys. I did a search first and there was an old thread about how they didn't fit 4th gens. This is why i ask. If that's the case, do the obx knock offs fit the 4th gen? These ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-RACE-GM-...sories&vxp=mtr

Last edited by rubbersdown; 03-06-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey willizm, did you have to relocate the P/S pump?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i heard the ebay stuff usally needs some kind of mods to make work, why dont you just use truck manifolds?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by rubbersdown
Oh nice! Thanks guys. I did a search first and there was an old thread about how they didn't fit 4th gens. This is why i ask. If that's the case, do the obx knock offs fit the 4th gen? These ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-RACE-GM-...sories&vxp=mtr
Kinda what bob was eluding to. I wouldn't trust them and even then wouldn't know how well they fit. The stainless ones are really nice and they fit albeit tight.
Originally Posted by LS1CMR
Hey willizm, did you have to relocate the P/S pump?
Yes I did. Josh@kytp sells a relocation bracket for the PS pump. Brings it up and in from the original location. The ABS module had to be brought out toward the fender a little.

OP, the stainless works headers I have do not hit the shock towers. Maybe with different motor mounts they do, but I'm using Motavative motor mounts. We had to adjust a little to get them to fit, but nothing too invasive. We have pulled off and put back on these headers without issue. Have to remove the rad to do so, but not too bad otherwise.

Here is a couple more views

Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i heard the ebay stuff usally needs some kind of mods to make work, why dont you just use truck manifolds?
well I need a/c as I live in az and summertime temps can reach 120 degrees Farenheight daily, so truck manifolds won't work. Thought about using c6 manifolds and still might but honestly if im already spending over $5,000 on my motor internals and another $5,000 or so on turbo parts, whats another $800-900 extra to add a little stainless sexyness to the engine bay right?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by rubbersdown
well I need a/c as I live in az and summertime temps can reach 120 degrees Farenheight daily, so truck manifolds won't work. Thought about using c6 manifolds and still might but honestly if im already spending over $5,000 on my motor internals and another $5,000 or so on turbo parts, whats another $800-900 extra to add a little stainless sexyness to the engine bay right?
It's a double edge sword. Even though the headers look awesome and I used the best ceramic coating I could find (swaintech). I still had under hood temps that were too high for my liking which is why I ended up wrapping them. I can fit AC just fine with these headers.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

oh yah i never actually thought about the underhood temp being a problem with those. you think itd be better to use the c6 manifolds then?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM
9 Second Club

It's not that the headers would make it hotter than the mani's, but it's just one of those things to consider is wrapping the headers which would take that bling factor down a peg. They don't look bad wrapped, but something to consider as the headers even with the ceramic coating were starting to melt some of the plastics on wiring harness.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

good to know. I actually kind of like them wrapped too. I am not usually big on bling, I just like the big beefy look up top and up front like your setup is. Best looking turbo setup I think. Always fun when you pop the hood and ppl are like DAMN!. lol
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

guess I am never one to judge without proof....but, I will post a clip I took of the obx and the SW headers and compare them side by side. Now we all know that the SW are proven headers and that they work very well besides them being too close to the PS pump pulley. Now in this clip I made you will notice its just the 2 headers i could do a general comparison. No measurements or actual fitments were done this is just general. If you look at them they are VERY similar even down to where they make their cuts and weld. I am actually thinking about trying these OBX headers out and I will let you guys know what it looks like. I mean they are stainless....we will see how they are put together but for a 1/3 of the cost it might be well worth it PLUS they are v-banded already. See attached photo
Attached Thumbnails who makes Up and forward turbo headers for 4th gen camaro?-turbo1.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

no problems with my stainless works hitting the towers. i read that same thing that they would hit as well... I actually dropped my car down over the engine/k member with complete turbo kit assembled.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
guess I am never one to judge without proof....but, I will post a clip I took of the obx and the SW headers and compare them side by side. Now we all know that the SW are proven headers and that they work very well besides them being too close to the PS pump pulley. Now in this clip I made you will notice its just the 2 headers i could do a general comparison. No measurements or actual fitments were done this is just general. If you look at them they are VERY similar even down to where they make their cuts and weld. I am actually thinking about trying these OBX headers out and I will let you guys know what it looks like. I mean they are stainless....we will see how they are put together but for a 1/3 of the cost it might be well worth it PLUS they are v-banded already. See attached photo
DO IT! and please keep us posted, To me they look freakn identical so id say its worth a shot. Hell the fab work is done and the tubing is there, even if you had to cut and make slight changes, still be worth it sense their 1/3 the price.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow who else has this turbo kit
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I probably will do it. I just hope if they can not be used without a bunch of hacking then i could sell them. I mean if i loose 400 bucks i guess i wont be heartbroken. Besides, anything to help my ls1tech buddies out right?

Last edited by Texhotrod593; 03-07-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
Did you get any comparison shots from the other side? reason I bring it up is both sides are pretty different and looking at the ebay link above the OBX look identically mirrored.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by willizm
Did you get any comparison shots from the other side? reason I bring it up is both sides are pretty different and looking at the ebay link above the OBX look identically mirrored.
you do make a valid point...I do believe the SW header on the passenger side kinda shoots inward at the collector. The OBX header on that side seems straight. I believe that SW had to do this to maintain the suction accumulator/drier and get past it. I might not be able to use the OBX headers as a bolt-on item for use with a/c but I will find out! I am going to order these this afternoon or tomorrow and we can go from there. I might open another thread on the progression on this item for everyone. Turbo is never a completely budget type ordeal but saving money, especially 600+ dollars on just headers is always good to hear!!

BTW i guess I didnt answer your question...I could not get a photo or camera shot of the passenger side header to match both of them. But if you look at the very few views that are available it looks "close". Maybe close enough

Quick Reply: who makes Up and forward turbo headers for 4th gen camaro?