Help with a F.I. fuel setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with a F.I. fuel setup

details in short:
67 camaro , pro touring , looking to get 700 rwhp single turbo
5.3 , 76mm turbo , 80 pd injectors , inline pump , aftermarket fuel rails, fuel pressure regulator.

heres my question:
what size fuel line should i run to the rails ?
what size return line to the sump ?
what type of fuel pressure regulator should i be using?
the rails i have can be used to run positive pressure buildup and dump at the regulator or or positive pressure after regulator with fuel build stop, setup will work with both. ( recommendations of a good regulator at a decent price would be awesome )

im basically new to fuel injection systems and completly new with forced induction. im diving off the cliff on this one and learning as i go.

all help is appreciated.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I built the same car as you with similar goals. I have a few friends that messed with sumped factory tanks and they all needed to be 1/2 to 3/4 tank full, otherwise they ran into fuel starvation issues when cornering hard. With forced induction, fuel starvation can ruin an engine if under boost when it happens.

I went with the Rick's Tank/Vaporworks setup. It's a CTS-V dual pump fuel module and a variable voltage regulator. I also ran 1/2" stainless line to a set of Summit fuel rails.

It's a tough pill to swallow price wise, but does save you a few bucks in other areas. It's a dead-head system, so you don't need a fuel pressure regulator or return line. The fuel pump module also has the filters built-in, so there is one less item to buy as well.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the tip tiznodd , thats good to know about the sump , and the 1/2 line answer.

that tanks looks really nice , but the price is a lil steep for me. 1200$ for a gas tank for me is a little more then i can budget.

work i can do or learn to do , time to do that i have , money seems to elude me.
if i could just figure out the last part id be sitting pretty.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

evening bump for some more advise please
Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

-8an feed, -6an return
aeromtive boost referenced fuel pressure regulator
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
-8an feed, -6an return
aeromtive boost referenced fuel pressure regulator
thank you sir
thats exactly what i was looking for
Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also be sure to put the return somewhere in the tank that it wont cause cavitation around the feed line. Some guys put them right next to each other and have fuel delivery issues.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 AM
10 Second Club

mallory 4305m is the regulator we use, cheap and works great
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Also be sure to put the return somewhere in the tank that it wont cause cavitation around the feed line. Some guys put them right next to each other and have fuel delivery issues.
thanks for the advise , i really appreciate all the help i can get.

thx skinnies , ill check out that regulator too.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Even though im not FI, I agree with going with the Ricks tank. I sumped the stock tank with an inline walbro 255 in the 69 GTO and its been nothing but problems. Fuel starvation is at random, not just cornering too. After the amount of time, money, and headaches with the stocker, looking back it would have been worth it to go with a quality setup.

The car sputtering out and dying on the middle of the Throggs Neck Bridge in NY was not fun at all.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PontiacPOWA
Even though im not FI, I agree with going with the Ricks tank. I sumped the stock tank with an inline walbro 255 in the 69 GTO and its been nothing but problems. Fuel starvation is at random, not just cornering too. After the amount of time, money, and headaches with the stocker, looking back it would have been worth it to go with a quality setup.

The car sputtering out and dying on the middle of the Throggs Neck Bridge in NY was not fun at all.
i had no idea honestly that fuel starvation would be such an issue.

im going to look around and do some research and see if there are any other options that are not so pricey.

1200 for a tank and then the price of the pump ect.. is more then i have in any other part of the drivetrain so far.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug

1200 for a tank and then the price of the pump ect.. is more then i have in any other part of the drivetrain so far.
Believe me, I understand. I tried everything to keep my project on budget. The fuel tank came at the end of the build when I realized modifying a factory tank was not going to work for me. I wasted $500 with that little experiment. The fuel tank/pumps/controller is twice what I paid for the engine - It was a complete kick in the nuts and my build was delayed 3 months as a result. Having said that, I have yet to find a better solution.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tiznodd
Believe me, I understand. I tried everything to keep my project on budget. The fuel tank came at the end of the build when I realized modifying a factory tank was not going to work for me. I wasted $500 with that little experiment. The fuel tank/pumps/controller is twice what I paid for the engine - It was a complete kick in the nuts and my build was delayed 3 months as a result. Having said that, I have yet to find a better solution.
id be in about the same boat , but a longer wait.

im gonna rung the lines and regulator fue rails ect...
and hold off on the tank situation for now, see what i cany work out.

im just getting started on this car , so im gonna do what i can now thats withing my budget.

Quick Reply: Help with a F.I. fuel setup