Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MY Real Street 275 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes Stephen. It's not hard at all and we could probably do it here at our shop, but we'll let our machinist handle it.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Whats involved in doing 1/2'' studs? Like if I was to on my 5.3 im building? Drill heads and Block out?
It just about has to be done on a CNC to be done correctly. The labor is expensive not to mention the cost of the studs...I did this to my LSX block for the sole purpose of runing 4 bolt heads to their limits.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Yes Stephen. It's not hard at all and we could probably do it here at our shop, but we'll let our machinist handle it.
At what psi would you say they would be needed. On your average cylinder head/ lm7 block combo? 25psi and north?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 68 SS
It just about has to be done on a CNC to be done correctly. The labor is expensive not to mention the cost of the studs...I did this to my LSX block for the sole purpose of runing 4 bolt heads to their limits.
IIRC when Sean@ERL came to our shop, that's not quite what he said. I've never done it before or had it performed, but never was a CNC mentioned TMK.
Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
At what psi would you say they would be needed. On your average cylinder head/ lm7 block combo? 25psi and north?
I would worry more about power level than boost.

Boost is just a number. I'd say around the 900-1000rwhp that they would begin to be of benefit.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

IIRC when Sean@ERL came to our shop, that's not quite what he said. I've never done it before or had it performed, but never was a CNC mentioned TMK.

I would worry more about power level than boost.

Boost is just a number. I'd say around the 900-1000rwhp that they would begin to be of benefit.
Well you guys will be assembling my 5.3 when I get all the parts together. I may have it done because initial tune will be my turbos max potential which Jose says on a 5.3 will be around 25psi depending on engine mods. I will be looking to you for a different cam more suited as well.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds good to me Stephen. I have a 5.3 cam that has been performing very well and we'll probably use it on your 5.3 build.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the build Martin! Looking forward to more progress! Did you ever get fueling issue sorted?

By the way, I only have a few more things to get sorted before I get seriously rolling on my project. Won't be as wild as yours but I'm fully expecting at least an 8.5 cage is going to be needed by the time I'm finished. Might have to make a trip to Mount Airy for the cage work
Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just raise the static compression on the bigger motor? Say 11-1. I remember the days running 12.5-1 on our D1 blower race cars to make up the lack of airflow.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Why not just raise the static compression on the bigger motor? Say 11-1. I remember the days running 12.5-1 on our D1 blower race cars to make up the lack of airflow.
Don,

It's already 10.5:1.

I just need it to move less air flow in N/A form.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Martin, based on the info you posted earlier with the compressor map, is that to say that a smaller cube (4.8/5.3/5.7) motor is going to be the best option for anyone just starting a build? I would assume the majority of us who are making plans for our first big turbo build are under the impression that a 370 or bigger is best for the S400....or at least that's what I've always thought.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by schmendog
Martin, based on the info you posted earlier with the compressor map, is that to say that a smaller cube (4.8/5.3/5.7) motor is going to be the best option for anyone just starting a build? I would assume the majority of us who are making plans for our first big turbo build are under the impression that a 370 or bigger is best for the S400....or at least that's what I've always thought.
In a max effort power adder restricted rule set the smaller engine is best, yes.

In a street engine where spool, under the curve torque, not wanting to turn the engine 8000rpm or buying the valve train parts necessary to accommodate this high of a RPM, no the smaller engine is not best.

You have to look at what you're trying to accomplish and what the goal for your car is. In a street car, torque, quick spool and being easier on parts is a goal I would always strive for in any street car.

We're a couple of days away from jumping back into the thick of things on my car. Ordering the EFI set-up(I am going with the Holley after we found our fueling issue), materials for the A2W intercooler and turbo kit.

I'm also fortifying the valve train even more. The stock rockers are gone and are now being replaced with these: http://www.compperformancegroupstore...UltraProMagnum

I'm selling my spring kit as well. If anyone wants a set of really nice PAC 1207X springs and spring kit to go with it, I'll make someone a killer deal on them.

Lift will be over .700" with the new rockers, staying hydraulic. Really want to go with a solid cam, but I want to try and make the hydraulic work at first.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 12-09-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im ready to see some more progress and a new flood of pictures lol.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Does anyone want to buy a brand new Meziere electric water pump?

What about a used AFCO radiator?

I will make great deals!!!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Going with the holley dominator efi? Very interested in your experience with this when the time comes.. It appears that this system should be ****, but I have heard mixed reviews.. I want it just because the Autotune and apparently it is very user friendly once you get a baseline tune set up with autotuner, i have no experience in modifiying tunes but I have a good understanding of how it works.. seems it would be very helpful for someone who does not have access to a dyno anytime they want to make changes on their set up..
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Would need pics of parts and I may be intrested. O and nice real street rules that came out haha.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Would need pics of parts and I may be intrested. O and nice real street rules that came out haha.
The radiator is still in the car. It's an Afco unit.

Meziere is BRAND NEW.

I hope the rule makers have an epiphany.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Trying to decide what I want to do about an intercooler. Whatever we do we will be building our own and it will use a Garrett core.

Thanks!
Not sure of what power level you were shooting for but that treadstone isnt a bad cooler. I've seen 42-45 deg rise on 24 psi boost on a dyno pull over 1000hp thru the th400, thats likely 1200-1300 at motor so approaching max capacity on the cooler. On good gas the intake temps are likely fine but doing a good quality thicker core will only help. The cheap ebay ones are not good at big hp levels. Local import shop tested a 600awhp evo using identical dimension coolers, one an expensive name brand quality unit and one a popular ebay knock off. Ebay one saw 60 deg rise and lost power as timing needed pulled. The good cooler only seen few deg rise, i forget the exact numbers but it was impressive
Old 12-10-2013, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The radiator is still in the car. It's an Afco unit.

Meziere is BRAND NEW.

I hope the rule makers have an epiphany.
It's such a nitrous class. Change it up go nitrous lol jk
Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
It's such a nitrous class. Change it up go nitrous lol jk
It does seem that way and I've never even ran the class.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Well guys, the A2W idea was grand, but in the end I could not afford it and still purchase all the other needed stuff.

SO I purchased a Bell 6" thick, 8" tall, 20" long core today. Good to 2300cfm. It will be here hopefully by the end of the week so Matt can start mock up on the intercooler and turbo system. I will say that the guy at Bell was awesome to work with and got me exactly what I needed. Was very helpful in determining what was best. I originally wanted a 24" long, 4.5" thick 8" tall core and he wanted to see me go with a 10" tall for maximum contact area for cooling intake charge down. We compromised on the 6" thick 20" long 8" tall core.

He told me that at low boost pressures flow is much more important than thermal efficiency. At higher boost pressures thermal efficiency is more important.

All stainless has been ordered as well as my new 5" down pipe flange. Gonna do 3.5" inlet and 3.5" outlet on the IC.

Got to order the 4500 flange Super Victor LS3 intake next. Then it's time to re-fortify the valve train and I'm having second thoughts on doing that right now too.

Jose is going to update my turbo instead. That will cost less than re-doing my valve train and give me even more power, so I'm going to let him do his thing.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 12-10-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: MY Real Street 275 build