Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MY Real Street 275 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis
Wiggins clamps have about 15* of freedom, so no cracking there.

However, Martin is using something else? Vibrant makes their "vanjen" clamp, but I've never used one, not sure if it has any degree of freedom.
That makes me feel better about the clamp Louis. I honestly don't know what this freaking thing I have is now that I look at it some more. It's on the intake right now and it moves pretty freely...who knows? lol
Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
And this is my motivation for my Polluter v.2 cam only. Ive always loved his car, i didnt see yours until last year but for some reason its become a mission for me to do this. Although my car is undergoing some changes from full AutoX setup that i used to have to changing it over to a drag setup. What did you guys wheigh. I actually have so many questions i could go on and on haha.
Jonathan's car weighed right around 3100-3150 on his 5.9x pass and mine was at 2990-3000lbs.
Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Car is coming along nicely! In for updates.

Thanks!

Matt took the car to Bristol, TN on Friday and he knows what has to be done with the cage now. He is finishing up welding a metal rack to hold all of our tubing we have now so that it's organized and not just laying on the floor of the back building anymore.

Once he finishes with that, we will roll the car back in the shop and get back to work on the cage.

My spring kit should be here today and my cam should be here today or the next as well. I actually had the cam ground a little smaller than what I have listed in the specs on the first page.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick

Jonathan's car weighed right around 3100-3150 on his 5.9x pass and mine was at 2990-3000lbs.

god thats light i need to shed some pounds!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 PM
FormerVendor

It takes some work to get the weight out of these cars like we have mine and Jonathan's both, but it's worth it.

Well, bad news is someone(Brian Tooley *cough* ) forgot to ship my spring kit out last week and I wont have it till Thursday.

Just giving you a hard time Brian.....
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Teching In

sick build!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:32 PM
FormerVendor

Ok guys I have roll cage updates!!!

After looking at a lot of other 25.5/25.3 cages since we started mine, and seeing a ton of them in person at LS Fest over the past weekend I decided I wanted Matt to change a few things.

After Matt found out how he has to do the floor, and my new ideas for the funny car portion of the cage Matt got hard to work on making it even better than it was.

As you can see here, the single vertical bar has been cut out and the outer bar with the dog leg has been cut out as well. The outer bar with the dog leg was re-made and re-positioned to be flush with the outer funny car hoop. Matt will now have room to weld two vertical bars instead of a single behind the seat and my head.

I think it will look awesome! Here are the rest of the pictures including pictures of the trans tunnel hump bar which I believe is the "#1" bar IIRC.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Very nice Martin.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, Martin, seems that my brother and I will be doing a Real/Ultra Street Build as well
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good martin!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Teching In

I will be on a personal mission tomorrow, 7-7 if I can. That's saying I don't get distracted by other dutys I have.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Very nice Martin.
Thanks PSJ! Hope to see you in Indy!
Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Very nice.
Thanks Stephen!
Originally Posted by DEFYANT
Hey, Martin, seems that my brother and I will be doing a Real/Ultra Street Build as well
Oh yea?
Originally Posted by nastychevelle
Looks good martin!
Thanks buddy!
Originally Posted by Tickfab
I will be on a personal mission tomorrow, 7-7 if I can. That's saying I don't get distracted by other dutys I have.
Putting in work!
Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
Looking good!
Thanks man!

Ok more updates!

Matt has the two vertical supports for the funny car hoop welded in. I must say Matt is getting very consistent in his bead placement. These are his best welds yet.

The SFI inspector when Matt went to Bristol, TN with my car told him that he had the best welds on chromoly he had ever seen for a first timer.

Check them out!

Look at that heat penetration!

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 09-12-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough getting in some of those spots to weld.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

What I think is really cool about this build is that it's the kind of build you would see someone build out of their garage. Someone with some funds, skill and fabrication knowledge. I think many of us can relate to this car.

An example is you install something don't like it and change it. You mentioned that your motor isn't a open check book build, etc. For the average home built car guy we get to see what you spend top dollar on and stuff you can get away with not needing the best.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

I want to make sure my above post didn't sound like it's not a quality build. Just saying most people can't drop their car off at a chassis shop but they might buy a kit for a cage or have some stuff done at a shop and other stuff done at home.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like Martin will be spending some time behind bars soon.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Tough getting in some of those spots to weld.
What he is having to do right now is ridiculous. He's on his side, crouched over the trans tunnel welding in another vertical support bar and it does NOT look comfortable at all.

For a guy that has no formal training in welding, is having to lay in some of the most uncomfortable positions possible I think he is doing great.

Could the welds be prettier? Sure. Are there imperfections in his welds? Sure. Are they strong as hell and are they going to break when it matters most? No!

I've seen your welding Stephen and you have talent that's for sure.
Originally Posted by mike13
I want to make sure my above post didn't sound like it's not a quality build. Just saying most people can't drop their car off at a chassis shop but they might buy a kit for a cage or have some stuff done at a shop and other stuff done at home.
I did not take it that way at all. I actually took it as a compliment. As I've said many times during this thread, this is our FIRST time EVER building a cage in our shop LET ALONE a 25.5 funny car cage.

I wanted this thread to show people that this kind of stuff can be done, and it can be done right without spending your life savings or having to go out and get a second mortgage on your home to afford this.

As the car progresses and we get data on it upgrades will be made.

Some of the things I'd like to add are:

Aftermarket EFI with data logging capabilities
Racepak Dash and data logger with EGT/shock travel sensors/accelerometer
6 bolt LSX block and 6 bolt heads
Aftermarket intake manifold
Double Bead lock wheels
Carbon fiber wheel tubs and carbon floors in the trunk and trans tunnel areas
Fabricated 9"
Chromoly upper and lower control arms
Aftermarket spindles
Carbon Doors, deck lid and fenders(not legal for Real Street/Ultra Street to my knowledge)

These are just a few things I'd like to have done to the car as it progresses. Top of my list is aftermarket EFI and 6 bolt heads/block. Then the other stuff can come after that.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Looks like Martin will be spending some time behind bars soon.
Yes, yes he will!

Here is how Matt is laying in the car welding right now, pretty ridiculous if you ask me and that he is still able to weld like he is doing impresses me. His welds might not impress someone that does this for a living, but I'm happy with them and that's all that matters. That and the SFI inspector.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Martin!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Looks great Martin!
Thanks man! Do you like the change I had him make? Everyone in the shop says it looks a lot better. Not like it looked bad before, but I think it looks 100% professional now.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Thanks man! Do you like the change I had him make? Everyone in the shop says it looks a lot better. Not like it looked bad before, but I think it looks 100% professional now.
Yea it looks much better. Im like you, since ive seen some different setups since i finished mine, i wish i did a few thinkgs different. Ill eventually change them......hopefully haha

Quick Reply: MY Real Street 275 build