Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks sweet Martin!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your first name is my last name. lol Keep up the sick work!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys!

Matt is working more on the driver's enclosure and I'll have some pictures to show before lunch probably.

Stay tuned!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Looks good
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Awesome updates. So whats your tire setup are you keeping the old setup you had or going bigger are you doing anything as far as that is concerned.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Awesome updates. So whats your tire setup are you keeping the old setup you had or going bigger are you doing anything as far as that is concerned.
The class we race in mandates a 275/60 drag radial tire or a 28x10.50 slick. I have 10" and 12" sections for my Holeshot wheels. Which means I can make them either 10" wide or 12" wide as they are 3 piece wheels.

I am going to swap the 10" sections out for the 12" sections and use rim screws on the wheels/tires to keep them secure.

One day I'll be able to afford a set of Macfab double beadlocks, but for now it's getting rim screws.

Ok I got some cage updates. The 25.5 hoop is coming along. We lowered the seat down as well so that I can use my arms freely and so that my helmet isn't close to the hoop.

We don't want to make the 25.5 hoop so large that it won't do any good if I get into a wreck. It needs to be tight enough to the body so that you can't flail around inside if the car barrel rolls at 100mph.

Pictures

This bar will actually be moved to the left more towards the apex of the main hoops bend as there will be a second bar added vertically here.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
if the car barrel rolls at 100mph.
Ya know, I know it always a possibility when we roll out onto the track, but I never get used to thinking about it.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Ya know, I know it always a possibility when we roll out onto the track, but I never get used to thinking about it.
Steve,

Honestly, I never used to think about it. Even when I was still prepared to leave the 6 point in it, I didn't think about it. One of those, "If I don't think about it, it will never happen type deals." Obviously, that doesn't do any good, but your brain tells you it does.

When we started tearing the car apart, and it became pretty clear that I'd be an idiot if I didn't at least update the car to a 8.50 cert is when I started to think about safety.

I started to think about all the cars I have personally watched wreck on the track, and it dawned on me, that every time one of those wrecks occurred that the ones that walked away every time had extensive cage work done.

It's no coincidence why they walked away either. Safety.

Anyone planning on going this fast that discards safety shouldn't be racing. Myself included. I was pretty dumb for even thinking about going out there on the track at the speeds I'll be going without a proper cage.

It just makes sense. Speaking of safety, I have to order a SFI fire suit, gloves and helmet soon.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 08-30-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
The class we race in mandates a 275/60 drag radial tire or a 28x10.50 slick. I have 10" and 12" sections for my Holeshot wheels. Which means I can make them either 10" wide or 12" wide as they are 3 piece wheels.

I am going to swap the 10" sections out for the 12" sections and use rim screws on the wheels/tires to keep them secure.

One day I'll be able to afford a set of Macfab double beadlocks, but for now it's getting rim screws.
Thats gona be awesome. Those Macfabs are super super nice though thats about as legit as it gets. And noone ever thinks of bad things to happen. It woudnt be fun if you constantly thought you are going to total your car that doesnt mean that people shoudnt be prepared for it so that is a good move of you especially with times that your gonna be running. Do they make you run a shute / are you going to need one

Here are a couple pics for you from last saturday https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...l#post17652700
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Thats gona be awesome. Those Macfabs are super super nice though thats about as legit as it gets. And noone ever thinks of bad things to happen. It woudnt be fun if you constantly thought you are going to total your car that doesnt mean that people shoudnt be prepared for it so that is a good move of you especially with times that your gonna be running. Do they make you run a shute / are you going to need one

Here are a couple pics for you from last saturday https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...l#post17652700
Yes the Macfab bead locks are very nice. Is that the night James broke his rear end?

Updates for those that are following along.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

More bars

The bar being held in with magnets is going to be re-done. Matt wanted to try something and neither one of us like it too much. Matt is going to do something else in regards to filling that void there. It's only required to use 3/4" tubing in these sections, but we're using 1" instead for added strength.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Have you considered welding in panels to replace your t-tops?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Have you considered welding in panels to replace your t-tops?
I have not Steve. Haven't really thought about it. Will probably be leaving them there.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

It sure is Martin. They threw the slicks on it from the white camaro. He dumped the clutch on that puppy at like 6K i think hoping to break them loose... vht did its job with the 10bolt haha he also could have eased in to it but it can go both ways. He has an extra one while he waits for his 9"
Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everything is looking great guys, I love how the cage is coming together.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Well no cage updates for now, we should have more progress towards the end of the week, but Matt has the final say so on that end as he has some other cars to finish up in the shop. Including the orange Real Street 275 car we're building for Dean Goodin right now.

That said, we have engine assembly!!!

Jonathan is assembling the engine as we speak with me watching over his shoulder learning as much as I can. Jonathan has assembled more than 25 engines since I've worked here in a little over a years time. It's amazing to me how fast he can put one together while still paying the attention to detail that he does.

Here are some pictures of him gapping my rings. We're going to try .026" on the top ring gap and .028" on the 2nd ring to start. This will be a trial and error process and I am not afraid or embarrassed to say that this motor will not live forever and it is not indestructible.

We WILL be pushing the ever living day light out this engine and it will probably get hurt sooner than later. I'm sure we will learn a ton about turbo motors and how they should be built and tuned to live on the ragged edge. You have to hurt a few though first before you find what really works and works well.

Good picture showing my block fill

Here is another good example of the attention to detail that Jonathan pays to all of the engines he builds. He keeps written logs of any and all clearances and ring gaps and keeps them on file.

More attention to detail

Stock crank TTF!

Motor could possibly be together by the end of the week!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good Martin! I like the way Jonathan keeps records of everything. At my work we have a build book for every single engine we've ever built that goes into every finite detail. Its very nice when you need to go back and look at something!

Keep up the good work.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Looking good Martin! I like the way Jonathan keeps records of everything. At my work we have a build book for every single engine we've ever built that goes into every finite detail. Its very nice when you need to go back and look at something!

Keep up the good work.
He has one as well. Every engine he builds goes on file and I've seen him give customers copies as well for their records.

It's details like that IMO that separate a true engine builder and a hobbyist or someone who really may not know what they are doing. Attention to detail.

Going to take some more pictures. BRB.

BTW guys that stock crank was literally 5 months ago sitting in the shop on the back of our property where we store excess overflow that we don't want in the shop or can't fit. Literally sitting in dust and cobwebs and now it's a race crank! LOL
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good Martin.

Shop has come a long way since Johnathan first started.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Martin, is Jonathan just using oil, or is he using an assemble lube?

Quick Reply: MY Real Street 275 build