Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98 Z28 Turbo LS1/T56 Street car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z28 Turbo LS1/T56 Street car.

I have a 98 z28 and have been researching a turbo build for the car. I wanna do a front mount single s400? borg warner, but from what i have seen there are different variations of the s400-s480. I want a setup that can produce 700-800 with the twist of a button.

I plan to use 80lb injectors, i have seen plenty of people using 255lph but two of them. Alot of the parts will be decided when i start tearing cars apart and taking measurements. I have the part number for the radiator GRI-25241-x

I just have a few questions regarding the wastegate, IM not sure what size i need 52mm? i plan on running 2-1/4 hot side piping.

The car will be getting torn down cleaned and built back up. suspension, not over done, but i will be replacing the rear control arms and pan hard bar, subframe connectors, all new bushings, and Turbo K-member. I am keeping ac I have a plan to use oval exhaust tubing, to get the exhaust by and not use to much room.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Launching!

I also need to replace the passenger rear quarter panel. here is a pic of when i first got the car two years ago, tomorow gotta take my wife into the hospital for testing, been tryin to figure out where this fever is coming vrom hasnet been able to get her treatments for a year. She was diagnosed as terminally ill over four years ago so been dealing with that. I will post progress when i get there which will be in a week or two.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9#post17057599

My build thread. S475 t56 is what I have. No need for the s480 if 700-800 is all you want. Get the s475 like mine for 650 dollars and your there. Gonna try and see 900+ rwhp from mine before I upgrade turbos and do a forge engine.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9#post17057599

My build thread. S475 t56 is what I have. No need for the s480 if 700-800 is all you want. Get the s475 like mine for 650 dollars and your there. Gonna try and see 900+ rwhp from mine before I upgrade turbos and do a forge engine.
ill buy yours off you? lol, I looked at forced inductions but there was no like add to cart? or anything that i saw?
what size hot side are you running? and what size wastegate?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stoning_volcom
ill buy yours off you? lol, I looked at forced inductions but there was no like add to cart? or anything that i saw?
It's easier just to call and talk to Jose.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F110Mech
It's easier just to call and talk to Jose.
i most certainly will, thanks. I need to contact martin at tick, for a cam profile as well just doing my research befor i jump the gun. I was looking at the car tonight and took of the lid/radiator hold down, and found that either someone put the motor from above and put a nice dent in the support or hit a deer and it slammed down on it so ill have to fix it. I do not plan on cutting the support out i wanna trim the support and slide the rad under it, trying to figure out the ac condensor. I might find a core that is similar in size to the rad and just mount it in front of the rad and make new ac lines to it. Just gotta keep looking.

Last edited by stoning_volcom; 12-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol I'll be running mine for a while longer. I run a jgs 50mm gate. Also bought from forced inductions. I called and talked to them and they put me in the right direction for my goals.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Lol I'll be running mine for a while longer. I run a jgs 50mm gate. Also bought from forced inductions. I called and talked to them and they put me in the right direction for my goals.
kk ill just plan on getting ahold of them, i saw in your thread that martin set you up with a set 1000cc injectors? they at maximum duty?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

kk ill just plan on getting ahold of them, i saw in your thread that martin set you up with a set 1000cc injectors? they at maximum duty?
Not sure at my level now but at around 520rwhp on 8psi on my initial tune they where only 35% and I didn't have meth then. That's all 93 pump gas. Not logged it on a pull. May have Jonathan log a 20psi pull after first of the year just to see. I plan to take it just to Dyno it again. They didn't tune it but if it hits a crazy number I want it to be on a reputable shops Dyno so its absolutely none disputable lol.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Not sure at my level now but at around 520rwhp on 8psi on my initial tune they where only 35% and I didn't have meth then. That's all 93 pump gas. Not logged it on a pull. May have Jonathan log a 20psi pull after first of the year just to see. I plan to take it just to Dyno it again. They didn't tune it but if it hits a crazy number I want it to be on a reputable shops Dyno so its absolutely none disputable lol.
lol agreed man, i would hate to pay for dyno time and then the dyno not pump out the correct results, or close. I havent told you this yet but i read through your build i have to say very very inspiring! i have been wanting to turbo my car for last couple years, the one thing that makes me nervous or anxious is the AC. My wife and i enjoy cruising and enjoying the car, so i am tryin to find a set of manifolds that will either work or can be modded to work, OBX ebay manifolds, there is another set as well, im not sure what brand but I want to try and figure it out. Of course i will move the alternater.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Launching!

So i have been planning on turbo charging my car for the last couple years. Over that time i have looked at setups and tried to see what might work. I am going to keep my ac, so i found a set of manifolds that would work. I am gonna get a Turbo k-member, allowing for clearance between the oil pan and k-member (like a third gen exhaust) i got some pics of the tubing ill use. I plan to reduce the 5inch dp to 4inch and make it go along the driver side of the engine. When the alternater is moved to the tensioner ill use the factory alternater bracket and idler to keep the belt away from the dp. The dp will go from 4inch round to 4inch oval and then go back like the factory exhaust. I havent decided yet but either dump befor rearend, or transfer back to round and go out over the axle. here are the pics.

this reducer is 5 to 4 inches and that will weld right to the v band.

this will be the 4 inch ill use to get down to the side of the driver side block.

this is what i plan to use for the clearance.

Here is the C6 LS3 manifolds and i will weld a vband straight on. passenger will go under and inbetween the kmember and oil pan. then will connect between to the driver then towards the front to support the turbo, the turbo will set right next to the driver frame rail so i can support it.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Anybody ever used the C6 LS3 manifolds for a turbo setup? or know of a thread?
Old 12-25-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do that radiator. Either the 55241, or the 85241. With ac that radiator can't get rid of the heat. I will be upgrading mine in the spring. Use a truck manifold on the drivers side and c6 manifold on passenger side. Evo362, or something like that had a thread on here where he used those manifolds and kept ac. I also have a thread where I kept the ac. I used 5th gen manifolds turned up and cut the flanges off.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I wouldn't do that radiator. Either the 55241, or the 85241. With ac that radiator can't get rid of the heat. I will be upgrading mine in the spring. Use a truck manifold on the drivers side and c6 manifold on passenger side. Evo362, or something like that had a thread on here where he used those manifolds and kept ac. I also have a thread where I kept the ac. I used 5th gen manifolds turned up and cut the flanges off.
the reason im looking to use the c6 manifold on passenger side is cause i dont like the point up hotside. so ill deffinetly do that, after i posted that i looked on google images and his thread poped up and ill prolly go that route, thanks for the reply
Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...locations.html
Old 12-25-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What made you choose to go with the Borg Warner?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

I like the borg turbos, but they are huge externally and require a lot of space. Turbonetics or Garett turbos generally run smaller and are easier to package. What's appealing about the bw turbos is the price.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the borg turbos, but they are huge externally and require a lot of space. Turbonetics or Garett turbos generally run smaller and are easier to package. What's appealing about the bw turbos is the price.
Ok i've always been curious how people choose the turbos they go with. Like how one picks a 75mm Precision over a Turbonetics and so on.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Most go with a proven turbine/ compressor combo. It depends on cubic inches, purpose, etc. along with packaging. If the owner only want 600 wheel hp, then a 88 or 91mm is overkill. More can be had from a smaller unit. If it's a 1000hp+ build then a smaller turbine and compressor will run out of steam. Figuring out what you want out of the car along with your budget will determine the turbo needed.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most go with a proven turbine/ compressor combo. It depends on cubic inches, purpose, etc. along with packaging. If the owner only want 600 wheel hp, then a 88 or 91mm is overkill. More can be had from a smaller unit. If it's a 1000hp+ build then a smaller turbine and compressor will run out of steam. Figuring out what you want out of the car along with your budget will determine the turbo needed.
Well that makes sense. I guess it works like everything else as far as what brand of turbo to go with. That is what I was really trying to figure out. But maybe it's like every other thing out here same reason people pick ProChargers over Vortech and so on.

Quick Reply: 98 Z28 Turbo LS1/T56 Street car.