Old 04-19-2015, 04:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Buy a nice one, it is something that can stay with you forever
Old 04-19-2015, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Guys shoot some recommendations for quality cranks. Also explain to me why I shouldn't just rip this thing apart and go 408
It's been covered in quite a few threads.

Bigger isnt always better. Longer stroke isnt always better. 408 sounds like iron, which apparently have shorter bores which on a 4" stroke again isnt always ideal

408 will push the turbos that little bit harder and away from their comfort zone.

It would be worth reviewing all datalogs, I just find it hard to believe a single incident could cause the damage, especially as oil pressure doesnt really seem to have been that low ?

Just to be sure about what the cause was
Old 04-19-2015, 05:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

Bigger isnt always better. Longer stroke isnt always better. 408 sounds like iron, which apparently have shorter bores which on a 4" stroke again isnt always ideal

408 will push the turbos that little bit harder and away from their comfort zone.

It would be worth reviewing all datalogs, I just find it hard to believe a single incident could cause the damage, especially as oil pressure doesnt really seem to have been that low ?

Right and I've read most of them. I'm aware of the benefits and drawbacks I was just making conversation. I ended up deciding on the stock stroke. I'm not sure why you think even wear across all mains and rod caps can't be caused by a single event. I think this fact is a sure fire sign of oil starvation. Regardless new bearings are in order and a new forged crank is on the way. Oil pressure safeties have been set so hopefully I don't cross this bridge again anytime soon.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:09 PM
8 Second Club

Oh and I know some of you may give me **** for this but I just sold my T56 super magnum and my MN12. That means I have no transmission.. I'm going auto, final decision. Well I don't know which auto but it's going to be auto for sure. I'll never get where I want to be with a 6 spd so I pulled the trigger.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

Are the auto boxes not a lot bigger physically ? How much room is there underneath ?

Right and I've read most of them. I'm aware of the benefits and drawbacks I was just making conversation. I ended up deciding on the stock stroke. I'm not sure why you think even wear across all mains and rod caps can't be caused by a single event. I think this fact is a sure fire sign of oil starvation. Regardless new bearings are in order and a new forged crank is on the way. Oil pressure safeties have been set so hopefully I don't cross this bridge again anytime soon.
As said before, I've raced and driven hundreds of miles before with less than 10psi oil pressure, and all things considered bearings were good ( they were bad, but nowhere near as bad as you'd expect after cam bearings walked )

Yes I'd expect damage, but from one single incident ? You'd would need to have had no oil pressure/flow at all I'd have thought.
And if it was that bad, I'd also be concerned about the turbochargers.

Have, or can you review all datalogs ? How often was oil pressure very low ?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:47 PM
8 Second Club

Are the auto boxes not a lot bigger physically ? How much room is there underneath ?

As said before, I've raced and driven hundreds of miles before with less than 10psi oil pressure, and all things considered bearings were good ( they were bad, but nowhere near as bad as you'd expect after cam bearings walked )

Yes I'd expect damage, but from one single incident ? You'd would need to have had no oil pressure/flow at all I'd have thought.
And if it was that bad, I'd also be concerned about the turbochargers.

Have, or can you review all datalogs ? How often was oil pressure very low ?
Yes the 4L80E is larger but guys have made them fit. I haven't actually decided on a transmission yet as I don't know squat about autos unless it's for a diesel truck. I don't think my BTS 4R100 will fit in my Z though

Honestly these bearings are not as bad as they look. The coating is worn off which is normal and on some spots the babbit started to ball up. To be honest I could put it back together and probably be fine as it still maintains 35-40 psi hot idle. However I already have the engine out so I'm going to throw new bearings in and call it square.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

Onwards and upwards.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:54 PM
8 Second Club

Onwards and upwards.
That's the goal.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the 4L80E is larger but guys have made them fit. I haven't actually decided on a transmission yet as I don't know squat about autos unless it's for a diesel truck. I don't think my BTS 4R100 will fit in my Z though

Honestly these bearings are not as bad as they look. The coating is worn off which is normal and on some spots the babbit started to ball up. To be honest I could put it back together and probably be fine as it still maintains 35-40 psi hot idle. However I already have the engine out so I'm going to throw new bearings in and call it square.
The 4l80 can be put it. Mine sits about 3" farther back than normal, so putting one in the standard location should be fairly easy.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:24 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonA
The 4l80 can be put it. Mine sits about 3" farther back than normal, so putting one in the standard location should be fairly easy.
Does the pan hang low?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 PM
8 Second Club

I have a lot of people pushing me to a glide but my rear gear is a 3:54 and I want to drive this thing on the freeway often. I need something that will be quick on the street and quick from a roll.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Just FYI. The gearing of the glide is going to make it harder for you to hurt your rear end. Since the rear strength is so so
Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Just FYI. The gearing of the glide is going to make it harder for you to hurt your rear end. Since the rear strength is so so
Yeah but what is that going to be like on the street and freeway? With the 1.80 first gear won't that limit me to 165 170 max speed?
Old 04-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Does the pan hang low?
Mine is different from yours, but in this picture you can see the bottom of the pan is 6"(measured) from the ground with the engine out of the car. Once bolted to the motor it will be about 1/2-3/4" higher relative to the bottom of the frame, but adding the motor will obviously drop the whole front end down.
Attached Thumbnails Twin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z-003.jpg  
Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Yeah but what is that going to be like on the street and freeway? With the 1.80 first gear won't that limit me to 165 170 max speed?
First gear doesn't matter for top speed. It's the 1:1 without od that will cripple your top speed. Also don't forget converter slip, which means you will lose a few mph to that too. If you're going to do top speed racing still you either want to gear down quite a bit (I run a 3.25 with a 28" tire for mid 170s traps) or run something with a really strong od. The 4l80 is insanely heavy and will eat a lot of power but for an auto and your power/goals its probably your only option.

If you're gonna drag race more, glide wouldn't be a bad idea since you are irs right? Would soften the launch load a lot.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mistafosta
First gear doesn't matter for top speed. It's the 1:1 without od that will cripple your top speed. Also don't forget converter slip, which means you will lose a few mph to that too. If you're going to do top speed racing still you either want to gear down quite a bit (I run a 3.25 with a 28" tire for mid 170s traps) or run something with a really strong od. The 4l80 is insanely heavy and will eat a lot of power but for an auto and your power/goals its probably your only option.

If you're gonna drag race more, glide wouldn't be a bad idea since you are irs right? Would soften the launch load a lot.
Not going to lie I like the 80 for the OD/toughness and
Ability to control it with the Holley but damn it's heavy. Can the glide be fit with an overdrive? Also yes I am still on the IRS and plan to keep it for awhile. Unfortunately the gear options are non existent for the R200.

Are the 4L65/70 transmissions as shitty as the 60's?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not going to lie I like the 80 for the OD/toughness and
Ability to control it with the Holley but damn it's heavy. Can the glide be fit with an overdrive? Also yes I am still on the IRS and plan to keep it for awhile. Unfortunately the gear options are non existent for the R200.

Are the 4L65/70 transmissions as shitty as the 60's?
Go 80 for sure. The 65/70 isn't strong enough to last with the power you're putting down.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Teching In

You can always run a non-OD trans & back it up w/ a GearVendors overdrive unit. Not sure what your budget is though.

Also, there are some things you can do to the oil pump to bump pressure & flow up given you're running twins now.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pinkston_jon
You can always run a non-OD trans & back it up w/ a GearVendors overdrive unit. Not sure what your budget is though.

Also, there are some things you can do to the oil pump to bump pressure & flow up given you're running twins now.
Pretty sure the gear vendors is impossible to fit. Our trans tunnels are extremely small past the trans.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:44 AM
8 Second Club

Would i really need an OD with a 3:54 rear gear?

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z