Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HPTuners for boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Got the NGK BR7EF's and went to gap them. To my surprise, they were all already gapped to .25. Nice! Getting them in has been a challenge. My CXRacing tubular headers have tight confines. Plugs that are relatively easy are #1 and #8. Cylinders #3, #5 can be had with a hexed topped 5/8" and a 3/4" wrench to loosen. Cylinders #2, #7 will require me to cut some length off a hexed topped 5/8" socket to get it over the top of the spark plug. Can't remember off the top of my head but either Cylinder #6 or #4 has the dipstick right beside it and whichever that one is, will be a frustrating effort.

When tuning the other day, I'd advanced my 5600+ RPM spark advance a couple of degrees. It really pulls hard, but I did find some knock retard. Turns out, that particular KPA/RPM range, though commanded to .768, was running 8.xx(lean). I fattened up those cells, took another test run and no knock retard.

I've tried both using the cut and paste special feature built into HP tuners and a special spreadsheet that I use to target my own AFR/Stoich settings. Since my tune is setup for Lambda, when I use HPTuners 'paste special', it seems to add or subtract '1' from the cells affected. After applying the change, upload and test, the same cells will be off. Using the built in utility, it again, adds or subtracts '1' to the affected areas. My spreadsheet generates values larger at times and seems to target the affected area to a better result. I'll keep fidgeting around and trying to figure out the best method.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

I was wading thru some HPTuners posts regarding this and did find that on at least some PCM's, you can dynamically define those KPA breakdowns. Apparently my Gen 3 is not one of them. What the Video was showing was that If the Row or column header had an underline, that the user could click on that and subsequently redefine the row/column increments. Here's the link to the video. You'll have to watch several minutes of it before it gets to this topic.
http://files.hptuners.com/support/De...alkthrough.swf

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Great thread, really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and information! I have quick question about applying the 2Bar MAP OS. I did that to my P59 (2006 Tahoe), but mine only created the zones ending in 0, 10, 20, 30...etc in the VE table. How did you get yours to create the zones, 5, 15, 25...etc? I apologize if I missed that, but I would like the higher fidelity that having more zones for the VE and can't figure out how to do that. TIA.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Got the NGK BR7EF's and went to gap them. To my surprise, they were all already gapped to .25. Nice! Getting them in has been a challenge. My CXRacing tubular headers have tight confines. Plugs that are relatively easy are #1 and #8. Cylinders #3, #5 can be had with a hexed topped 5/8" and a 3/4" wrench to loosen. Cylinders #2, #7 will require me to cut some length off a hexed topped 5/8" socket to get it over the top of the spark plug. Can't remember off the top of my head but either Cylinder #6 or #4 has the dipstick right beside it and whichever that one is, will be a frustrating effort.

When tuning the other day, I'd advanced my 5600+ RPM spark advance a couple of degrees. It really pulls hard, but I did find some knock retard. Turns out, that particular KPA/RPM range, though commanded to .768, was running 8.xx(lean). I fattened up those cells, took another test run and no knock retard.

I've tried both using the cut and paste special feature built into HP tuners and a special spreadsheet that I use to target my own AFR/Stoich settings. Since my tune is setup for Lambda, when I use HPTuners 'paste special', it seems to add or subtract '1' from the cells affected. After applying the change, upload and test, the same cells will be off. Using the built in utility, it again, adds or subtracts '1' to the affected areas. My spreadsheet generates values larger at times and seems to target the affected area to a better result. I'll keep fidgeting around and trying to figure out the best method.

are you doing paste special multiply/multiply by half?

i was doing paste special ADD....whoops not good
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Hahaha...! Yeah, I bet that was a bit off.
Yes, I've tried both the multiply by full and half. It's funny (to me anyway) that when I was tuning by AFR(14.7), it seemed that my adjustments were more granular than the Lambda I'm now using. But, I'm not complaining. The engine is running really strong. Almost finished putting in the plugs. Got one more to go. I decided that with this CXRacing hotside, it's more expedient to just unbolt only one header at a time, leaving the other header and the downpipe to suspend the turbo, and swap out the plugs than trying to finagle each plug with the hotside all bolted up. There's no way I could do this at the track without nomex gloves. Hopefully, I won't have to swap plugs too frequently.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Got the plugs in and as you said, the idle was poor right off the bat. I leaned it out and it idles correctly now. Cold start seems to have been affected too. I'll address that tomorrow. Took her out for a drive to see if that high rpm/high boost miss was gone and it is. Thanks guys for the tip on the plugs!

Originally Posted by truckdoug
true but you might have to fiddle with your tune to get it to idle. i popped some 7's in and it didnt wanna idle nice at stoich for gas. more like 15.8 on the gas scale.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Update... Got my first 10 second pass last night at the track...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post19698460

Quick Reply: HPTuners for boost