Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HPTuners for boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll be adding the VE settings next. This is the area where you really can view the increased *granularity* of fuel settings/conditions when going from 1 bar to 2 bar.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is boosted but curious on how accurate the stock o2's are. The tuner that tunes some extremly fast ls cars locally here tunes with o2's on (assuming with a wideband as a 3rd) then when tuned he turns them off. So as of now my o2's are out of the car since the computer isn't using them.

You going to show any 3bar map stuff by chance?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

On the 3 bar, Yes I will, since that will be my setup.

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
My car is boosted but curious on how accurate the stock o2's are. The tuner that tunes some extremly fast ls cars locally here tunes with o2's on (assuming with a wideband as a 3rd) then when tuned he turns them off. So as of now my o2's are out of the car since the computer isn't using them.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sub'd. This will come in handy when I start my tuning process! Thanks OP for taking the time to share all the information. It's awesome to know people are willing to help one another out.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just trying to give back to the folks that have provided so much guidance to me over the years.

Originally Posted by glitchz71
Sub'd. This will come in handy when I start my tuning process! Thanks OP for taking the time to share all the information. It's awesome to know people are willing to help one another out.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I know you said on the first page, everything your doing, is from Dan's book. I was wondering if you have any tuning experience of your own? Either way, I appreciate the posting. BTW, please show how you set up your scanner setting, and how you use them to tune, when you get to that!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yes. But on LT1edit, Tunercat and Tunerpro, all for my LT1. I've been using these to tune my LT1 when it was just heads and cam, then nitrous, then solid roller cam'd and now the turbo setup since 2008. I've ran both a MAF based 1 bar setup and the current 2 bar speed density.

Because I'm doing a 5.3 turbo build (initially with a single PT7675 and later this Summer, twin GT35's) I wanted to get involved with the tuning for the 5.3 with HPTuner or EFI Live. Both softwares seem extremely capable but I initially encountered a complete vacuum on both. No matter whom I contacted, I essentially got "You should buy it!" but little or nothing else when I asked questions about the 2 bar and 3 bar setups. Going to the HPTuner and EFI forums was equally frustrating. I'd see questions like mine asked and no responses, even months after the questions were posed. I guess either everyone is busy or doesn't have time to talk/type or some other issue. It was damned frustrating. I sent out several emails to HPtuners and a few to EFILive but got nothing back.

That is when, like I've done with other projects, I've said to myself, "Well, if no one is going to help me, I'll just do it myself and *I* will publish how to do it". I was one of the first to write up how to install a high end clutch in the LT1's back in 1996. One of the first to write up a web page on the 'trap door' for fuel pumps. I didn't do the trap door installation but I gathered the info/pictures from guys that did it and published it. Same with the cylinder lock replacement. I have really appreciated all the great input and tips you all have given me over the years. You've saved me a lot of time and money. But this (HPTuners), like a few other oddities, seems to be an arena where either there's limited knowledge or some other constriction. I hope I can at least open the door a little.

Ditto on the fine tuning section. Looking forward to that.
Thanks,
Dave

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I know you said on the first page, everything your doing, is from Dan's book. I was wondering if you have any tuning experience of your own? Either way, I appreciate the posting. BTW, please show how you set up your scanner setting, and how you use them to tune, when you get to that!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit

I always leave o2's in street cars and always remove them in something that is track only. Without o2's you basically have a carbureted car with injectors at that point since the pcm isnt making any fueling corrections. You have to use a wideband for WOT tuning if you want your a/f right.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Leaving the NB O2's in is good for a street car. You can use them for all the part throttle steady state tuning. And they make a dandy verification for your WB.

I did the part throttle stuff both ways. Sort of used a combo.

WOT of course you need the WB.

BTW, that Malsic setup for the VE will be dead rich in boost. It will practically drown the thing....,

Ron
Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Ron , thanks for the input.
Just to be clear, are you meaning the entire boost area of the VE, the part that was interpolated or area beyond the interpolation?

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Leaving the NB O2's in is good for a street car. You can use them for all the part throttle steady state tuning. And they make a dandy verification for your WB.

BTW, that Malsic setup for the VE will be dead rich in boost. It will practically drown the thing....,

Ron
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

One thing I want to stress, is that the VE portrayed is not the finished product. Dan set that up, intending to only go to about 4000 rpm to see how the fueling up to that point went on the dyno. The end VE table after he evaluated that setting, made adjustments, re-dyno'd, then expanded the changed range, interpolated some more and ended up with the default 175 in some of the high RPM/KPA axis.

I will have to hand enter the cells to get his finished VE and that will take awhile. Plus, I'm working at my day job all day typically. I'm a contract programmer.

Ron
Old 01-07-2015, 12:23 PM
8 Second Club

I'll get in my laptop and look. The screen shots are too small on the phone. :-)
So later today I'll have a look

Ron
Old 01-07-2015, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Added two more screen shots to the VE section. One shows Dans final VE settings for the 9psi(maximum intended boost) plus a further interpolation for the vectors encompassed in the 140 to 210 KPA ranges. These are all just examples folks. I do have access to a couple of 2 and 3 bar HPtunes from the HPTuner repository. The VE's and Spark seem to be in keeping with what Dan portrays. Not verbatim, since every car is different, but close.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 PM
8 Second Club

Hey, looks like you have a handle on. So carry on.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Ron. I'll be going over Spark settings next. I will show a stock 5.3 spark table (which is either very conservative advances or testament to an efficient combustion chamber), a stock 5.7 spark table, then a spark table from a couple of 2 bar tunes, Dans settings for his 9psi project Z28, then finally, one of Denmahs submitted 3 bar spark tables so people can look and make conclusions about the methodology employed to specify a boosted applications spark advance setup.

Hey, looks like you have a handle on. So carry on.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Setting up initial spark tables prior to testing the first time...

More to come...

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 01-08-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Default ls swap and boost

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Setting up initial spark tables prior to testing the first time...

More to come...
love your write up, lots of info. I'm doing a ls1 408 swap with a twin turbo. I have a 4896 ecm that I want to flash to a 411. Do I have to scan the 4896 just to get the Vin so I can edit it into a camaro ls1 (411) file. Then start to tune like you've posted. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

hptuners has to be one of the easiest tuning software i have ever used. Nothing but great stuff from HPT IMO. the only thing that does suck is that they dont have a damn phone number to call em about actual hardware problems. As far as tuning help, you can find everything on their forum, if you haven't found it you probably arent looking hard enough.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Players 91, While I've not actually done that particular activity, in my research, I've read some horror stories where a fellow finds a tune that seemed like it had most of what he wanted but it came from a different PCM type than what the car owner had. The car owner thought, "I can just use my software and upload this new tune and I can start refining it from there". But, and my memory is sketchy on the specifics, different PCMs can park the many tables in either slightly different or completely different regions of the PCM's memory from one another. The end result was that (a) the car wouldn't start and (b) the PCM was fouled where they couldn't even reload it with the prior tune. The adomonishment I see over and over is, whatever PCM you have in the car , pull THAT flash file tune into your editor. Then, using the 'compare file' feature ,bring up the other file that has some/all of your desired settings, then you can use the copy feature and it will map the cells from that file into your current file. Then save and upload to your current PCM.

I'm going to see if I can find those accounts where people ran into disaster by just uploading tunes they found without regard to the compatibility aspect and, if I do, will link it. If not, I'll edit this response.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Default ls swap and boost

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Players 91, While I've not actually done that particular activity, in my research, I've read some horror stories where a fellow finds a tune that seemed like it had most of what he wanted but it came from a different PCM type than what the car owner had. The car owner thought, "I can just use my software and upload this new tune and I can start refining it from there". But, and my memory is sketchy on the specifics, different PCMs can park the many tables in either slightly different or completely different regions of the PCM's memory from one another. The end result was that (a) the car wouldn't start and (b) the PCM was fouled where they couldn't even reload it with the prior tune. The adomonishment I see over and over is, whatever PCM you have in the car , pull THAT flash file tune into your editor. Then, using the 'compare file' feature ,bring up the other file that has some/all of your desired settings, then you can use the copy feature and it will map the cells from that file into your current file. Then save and upload to your current PCM.

I'm going to see if I can find those accounts where people ran into disaster by just uploading tunes they found without regard to the compatibility aspect and, if I do, will link it. If not, I'll edit this response.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I was thinking of going with a mail order tune for starters, but with a few how to posts I've read ( yours & tuning for dummies) it seems like it's doable with some help. Maybe not. What's got me confused is the how to I read on tg.o for building the harness said it didn't matter what computer you had (as long as it's not a 98 model). Re pin the harness for the 411 and reflash the computer for that. Maybe I should just buy a 411.

Quick Reply: HPTuners for boost