Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Want a supercharger, have questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004 | 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Default Want a supercharger, have questions?

Hey guys, I would like to get a supercharger for my 1999 Camaro SS, I am looking at the ProCharger and the Vortec? I was wondering which one was a better system to run? My current mods are Bolt Ons, LT Headers and a X-Pipe. Would 8 psi of boost with a good tune be safe on my stock shortblock? I currently have 40,000 miles on my car. If I am at 340RWHP now how much RWHP will I see with 8 PSI of Boost? Also I know I would need to upgrade the Fuel pump and injectors, but don't know what size pump or injectors to get?

And if there is anything else I need to know could you please fill me in, thanks a lot for the help.

Dan
Old 05-29-2004 | 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone
Old 05-29-2004 | 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Procharger, get the D-1SC

8 psi with a GOOD tune would be fairly safe

480-500rwhp with an M6 a little less with an A4

Fuel pump and injectors all depends on you, I like doing things only once. If you plan on upgrading after the SC get a good fuel system to start out. Talk with a sponsor and I am sure they will lead you in the right direction.

Make sure you get a good tune and the shop know what they are doing.

Pin the crank.

Get the right spark plugs.

If I had it to do all over again I would build a custom ATI kit.
ATI D-1SC
Custom front mount intercooler
SDCE 8 rib tensioner
ATI Superdampner
BOV
Old 05-29-2004 | 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MstgKillr
Procharger, get the D-1SC

8 psi with a GOOD tune would be fairly safe

480-500rwhp with an M6 a little less with an A4

Fuel pump and injectors all depends on you, I like doing things only once. If you plan on upgrading after the SC get a good fuel system to start out. Talk with a sponsor and I am sure they will lead you in the right direction.

Make sure you get a good tune and the shop know what they are doing.

Pin the crank.

Get the right spark plugs.

If I had it to do all over again I would build a custom ATI kit.
ATI D-1SC
Custom front mount intercooler
SDCE 8 rib tensioner
ATI Superdampner
BOV
A couple of more questions for you, First off what does Pin The Crank mean? And you can use a BOV with a Supercharger, I thought a BOV was for Turbos?

Thanks a lot

Dan
Old 05-29-2004 | 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

ATI Procharger makes a crank pin kit. Basicly you drill a hole halfway into the crank and the other half into the harmonic balancer then insert a pin. It prevents the harmonic balancer from spinning on the end of the crank. I think the C5 procharger kit comes with it, with a F-Body you have to order it seperate. Its only $100, gives you some peace of mind.

I will eventuall switch to the ATI race ready BOV

For your fuel system you could give Speed Inc. a call.
Old 05-30-2004 | 12:31 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well the Voertech kit includes everything you need with the exception you might want to pin the crank for security. The only down side to them is that for and SS you will have to cut your hood for clearance! Mine does not look bad but it is something to think about. The ATI fits under the hood with out modification to it and you have to buy your injectors seperatly. The down side is that some people are having trouble with the belt slipping issues again this all depends on what you are doing so I think the cost is going to be about the same on both give or take a coulpe of hundred dollars. If it were me I would just decide if you are willing to cut your hood or not and that would make up your mind for you. Meaning if you didn't I'd go with the Vortech if you don't want to cut go with the ATI. Have fun.
Old 06-03-2004 | 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Downside to Vortech

The other major downside to the vortech is that you have to plum your oil pan to send oil to the vortech blower. The ATI is self contained. It does oil has to be changed every 5-6K miles.

The slipage problem is because of the aluminum bracket, if you get a steel bracket, you will not have any slipage problems

Dave at Truetechperformance.com has the steel brackets.

Hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2004 | 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Default Ati D-1r

If you want extreme power,I have the D-1R supercharger for sale.It is the head unit only and is in perfect condition.I have seen everything on this and other forums to make a complete kit for less than $3000.00.You can pulley it down or go all the way when you are ready to make as much as 32 lbs of boost.This bad boy flows @ 2000 CFM for up to 1200 horsepower.I am asking $1750.00 for the supercharger..And yes you can use the stock PCM.I can also tune it for you,No need for an FMU..
Old 06-06-2004 | 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
The other major downside to the vortech is that you have to plum your oil pan to send oil to the vortech blower. The ATI is self contained. It does oil has to be changed every 5-6K miles.

The slipage problem is because of the aluminum bracket, if you get a steel bracket, you will not have any slipage problems

Dave at Truetechperformance.com has the steel brackets.

Hope this helps.
There is no downside to running a fresh oil supply to your blower, its actually better cause you get to run your oil thru your oil filter before it gets routed back to the blower.

Self contained oil units don't do that. In addition you could have coked oil and not even be aware of it which could cause premature wear to your bearings. The list goes on and on with ATI's, they are guys here having hard time with belt slippage and they are spending BIG money on cogged belt systems and still getting slip. The steel bracket is nothing more than a bandaid to fix that problem. The fix is not that easy. Do a search on guy's running ATI's and you will see for yourself.

Vortech did a lot of research and development before their kit hit the market, yea its more money but its a better designed/engineered kit and is worth the piece of mind.

your call.

by the way don't listen to the keyboard mechanics here, all they do is regertitate information they read here, I advise you to go to a shop that does A LOT of work on LS1's and talk to them.

good luck
Old 06-06-2004 | 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

ati = all off the shelf parts for brackets, aluminum plate, steel standoffs, bolts.
all piping is mandrel bent standard bends, lots of rubber tubing on pressure side, blowthrough maf setup. source your own injectors/fuelpump air/air intercoolers iat on the pressure side of blower, (correct location)

Vortech, all custom cast pieces. spring tensioner, ATI superdampener, 8 rib setup standard. drawthrough maf setup comes with inline fuel pump, and 38# injectors air/water aftercooler. iat on cold side of blower

i like the vortech better overall, as it is a better designed kit. It would be nicer if they put the S trim as the standard blower though,

im not saying the ati is not good, it is, its just a great headunit, and average fabrication to make it work on a ls1. Nothing to write home about, but does get the job done for stock boost levels

Ryan

Quick Reply: Want a supercharger, have questions?