Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why so many spun cam bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Why so many spun cam bearings

Why do we see so many spun cam bearings on theses gen 3 engines? Is it because the shortblocks are not taken apart and cleaned, just run? Not cleaned properly? High mileage shouldn't spin a cam bearing. Seems to be an issue with these engines. Whats the common denominator?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet people running thicker oil is one of the problems. People don't seem to realize that the pressure sending unit is before all the bearings, so higher pressure at the sending unit doesn't mean more oil in the bearings. Pressure is caused by resistance to flow so high pressure means less flow.

Other than that, I'd guess high RPM with low oil level is causing problems when all the oil is in the top end and there's not enough in the pan.

I'm sure there are other problems, but I'm willing to be those 2 cause a lot of damage.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

All make good sense. I worked for Ford when the modular 4.6 engines came out. There were service bulletins about running any oil heavier than 5/20-30 (if I remember correctly) otherwise the engine would lock the cams in the heads. They didn't have cam bearings. The cams just rode in the machined journals right in the head. I'm betting draining pans on turbo applications is a cause as well.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I'd find it hard to believe the oil is the issue...either way there are too many for comfort, and I was one victim, LS2 block.
Not sure if the bearings were factory bearings or installed by others, as I bought the "new" shortblock from someone other than the builder.

I pinned mine after that so it wont be happening again !
Old 06-07-2015, 07:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'd like a good answer to this also. 5.3 with a tick cam about 15-20 min run time and fused fast to cam bearings. Not blaming cam at all but everyone says oiling problems. I don't know. Had to remove cam from block with sledge hammer and pipe and took over an hour to do.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 PM
8 Second Club

Phone pic
Attached Thumbnails Why so many spun cam bearings-image.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gsxrred1000
I'd like a good answer to this also. 5.3 with a tick cam about 15-20 min run time and fused fast to cam bearings. Not blaming cam at all but everyone says oiling problems. I don't know. Had to remove cam from block with sledge hammer and pipe and took over an hour to do.
New cam bearings? How'd the old ones look? If you left the factory ones, did you scotch bright em? What weight oil? Rebuilt or bolt one without rebuild?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:52 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3 window
New cam bearings? How'd the old ones look? If you left the factory ones, did you scotch bright em? What weight oil? Rebuilt or bolt one without rebuild?
Stock cam bearings. Pull out stock 5.3 cam and looked great. No scotch brite. Penzoil 10/30. Purolator filter. Stock bottom end not touched. Only added btr 660 springs , seats, valve seals, hardened pushrods and tick turbo stage 2 4.8/5.3 cam. Ported oil pump from tick and oil pump pick up tube oring was not pinched.

Added same valve springs, seats, pushrods , oil pump etc. to another stock 5.3 but used a lil john/stage 3 turbo cam. Only thing I changed was Mobil 1 oil 10/30 ,k&n filter and raised pick up off bottom of pan from 1/4" to 1/2". Put over 100 miles on it and good oil pressure.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Let's face it, bearings only spin of they get hot. Which means either they got starved of oil, clearances were too tight or something was bent. I'm sure you didn't bend the cam. Clearances? Hard to tell. Tick sells a lot of cams. Not sure if he does his own grinding or uses someone else's cores. But unless it was measured before install, we'll never know. Oil starvation, could be. Have you considered switching to a good 5/30 oil? Maybe the 10/30 is a bit too heavy and if you have a clearance that's on the tight side, might just be enough to starve it a little. Just thinking out loud. Trying to get this figured out so we can keep this from happening. Was the pump in the damaged engine a high volume pump? High volume with a stock pan could cause issues if you don't run some additional oil.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was running 5 - 30 in my 5.3 when it spun two cam bearings after about 45 min of street time and several dyno pulls. Original bearings in a 100k mile motor. Custom ground comp cam. Comp springs and hardened push rods. Maybe it's the added spring pressure beating them up?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Just noticed the picture of the bearing in a previous post. That thing saw some major heat. Lack of lube for sure. Or the cam was bent.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3 window
Let's face it, bearings only spin of they get hot. Which means either they got starved of oil, clearances were too tight or something was bent. I'm sure you didn't bend the cam. Clearances? Hard to tell. Tick sells a lot of cams. Not sure if he does his own grinding or uses someone else's cores. But unless it was measured before install, we'll never know. Oil starvation, could be. Have you considered switching to a good 5/30 oil? Maybe the 10/30 is a bit too heavy and if you have a clearance that's on the tight side, might just be enough to starve it a little. Just thinking out loud. Trying to get this figured out so we can keep this from happening. Was the pump in the damaged engine a high volume pump? High volume with a stock pan could cause issues if you don't run some additional oil.

High volume pump was brand new in motor. Cleaned it out after I tore motor down and reused it in new motor. Only ran 5psi threw old motor. Only 5 psi threw new motor also. Running street and performance fbody pan that is notched for clearance to crossmember. Running 5.5 qts which is a little past hashed marks on dipstick. Should I run 5w30? I will be dumping oil this week to check it out and will have to get new oil.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:29 PM
8 Second Club

Most companies sub out to cam companies. Tick cam I got was a comp cam just ground to martins specs. Lil John cam made by comp cams ground to his specs. Let me tell you comp is by far the worst company to try and get support or answers from. I spoke to them about my first motor and they didn't care what my setup was he cut me off and said what is my ? About cam. I told him what happened and he said sounds like lack of oil. I'm sure they tell that to everyone that calls with cam failures. They really pissed me off. He said what do you want me to do about it. I said no way in hell I'd order another cam Made by comp and I ordered a lil john cam and forgot to ask who's cores they use. Well comp cam showed up. Luckily no issues yet.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

High volume pump was brand new in motor. Cleaned it out after I tore motor down and reused it in new motor. Only ran 5psi threw old motor. Only 5 psi threw new motor also. Running street and performance fbody pan that is notched for clearance to crossmember. Running 5.5 qts which is a little past hashed marks on dipstick. Should I run 5w30? I will be dumping oil this week to check it out and will have to get new oil.
I'd definitely run a quart and a half or so over what the factory capacity is for the pan. You've already lost volume of the pan by notching it and with a high volume pump, you could be sucking the pan low causing cavitation or even uncovering the pickup altogether. Plus, ours adding a feed line, turbo and a drain line to mix, which all take oil to be filled. Which in turn leaves less in the pan.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Most companies sub out to cam companies. Tick cam I got was a comp cam just ground to martins specs. Lil John cam made by comp cams ground to his specs. Let me tell you comp is by far the worst company to try and get support or answers from. I spoke to them about my first motor and they didn't care what my setup was he cut me off and said what is my ? About cam. I told him what happened and he said sounds like lack of oil. I'm sure they tell that to everyone that calls with cam failures. They really pissed me off. He said what do you want me to do about it. I said no way in hell I'd order another cam Made by comp and I ordered a lil john cam and forgot to ask who's cores they use. Well comp cam showed up. Luckily no issues yet.
I feel your pain about dealing with Comp "tech". You know it's bad when the first thing you here on the phone is "thank you for calling".......and they rattle off 25 different brands that sold out to Comp.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 PM
8 Second Club

Got ya. Yeah I figured stock ls1 pan holds 5.5 qts. So i figured with less room in there I'd still add 5.5 qts and it would be filled higher in pan. So I should def. run 6.5-7 quarts your saying. Seems like a lot. But I never had or ran a setup like this so I don't know. I guess it has turbo to fill, lines , drain , mechanical oil pressure gauge line, oil filter etc. I'll def. do 6.5 this week.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

yes, all the turbo stuff isn't accounted for when they calculate the pan capacity at the factory. I've heard some guys fill until it just comes out the turbo drain and leave it there.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:21 PM
8 Second Club

My turbo drain is in front cover. Think that's a little high but I'm still going with 6.5-7 qts. To eliminate that as a possibility. Thanks for input.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

My turbo drain is in front cover. Think that's a little high but I'm still going with 6.5-7 qts. To eliminate that as a possibility. Thanks for input.
Yah, I wouldn't go that high to get it to come out your drain LOL. Keep us posted and good luck with your project.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

I have not heard of cam bearing problems b4 this post-is it stock cams or aftermarket that has problems-maybe GM is using tighter specs with the thinner oils, and doesn't leave room for cam journals that are on the high side

Quick Reply: Why so many spun cam bearings