Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

To hell with buying it back....i say they owe you a check for all the research n development testing you ve done. In all honesty, this could have gone the other way. It could have turned out that you had another issue, or that the 417 unit needed/liked xyz to perform optimal. In the end, the tunnel of light for it just kept getting smaller n smaller. So now when i see anyone post that thier 417 unit works great, id say to myself, well the shearer unit would work greater!!! Bcuz this dude proved it n left no stone unturned.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

At least we have the internet now where info like this can be exchanged.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Do you think 417 could offer to buy back since they say there is nothing wrong with it?

The whole experience in dealing with both Blake from 417 and John at LJMS has been a huge run around.

Pretty early on in the process of testing this thing (long before I posted publicly about the data) after I had exhausted all the upgraded line/pump/fitting parts they assured me would improved I reached out to see if maybe I got a bad unit or maybe this unit was too small, could I pay to upgrade to the large unit... I was told there is obviously a problem with my turbo combo because this is "the only one they'd ever seen not perform"... Regardless, I was denied any further support, meanwhile he's posting on the internet that he has offered to buy it back from me and Lil' John has badmouthed me at every opportunity he can, going as far as to say I have done nothing to try to make the cooler work... Think about that... Quite sad really. At the end of the day I made calls, reached out, tried to get it taken care of but was denied, despite what they have said publicly, and shocking, I still have the damn intercooler sitting on my shelf. To quote John directly, he has decided to "wash his hands of this" and Blake became unresponsive... Apparently very upset that I have tried to get it to work and posted that I can't make it work.

A guy can only do but so much. Just taking this one on the chin I suppose.

Last edited by gtistile; 06-18-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the success. Keep us posted with further progress please.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Onwards an upwards, the truth is out there for all to see though.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtistile
I still have the damn intercooler sitting on my shelf.
Sounds like you should take the 417 intercooler and a baseball bat to a field and re-create the printer scene from Office Space.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Tell them you're going to make a YouTube vid where you destroy it. Maybe they will try to avoid the bad publicity haha.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I've seen in this thread and on yb, they could care less about bad publicity.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 408GT
From what I've seen in this thread and on yb, they could care less about bad publicity.
I disagree. I don't think they care at all.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

I also think it's interesting how LJMSJohn is now a former Vendor on tech according to his avatar.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 PM
9 Second Club

I would imagine Tech's sponsor rates are not cheap...and the vendors all have to pay it to be listed as such and advertise on here.

So don't think anything could be read into that aspect.

I know for sure, it must be tough for any vendor in todays market, trying to please everyone and lots of businesses do fold, no doubt for a huge variety of reasons.
Maybe in this case though 417 are making so much money they really dont care...which seems odd when the product seems to fall so far short. So if they sell bad product and dont give proper support...how on earth are they still in business ?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I would imagine Tech's sponsor rates are not cheap...and the vendors all have to pay it to be listed as such and advertise on here.

So don't think anything could be read into that aspect.

I know for sure, it must be tough for any vendor in todays market, trying to please everyone and lots of businesses do fold, no doubt for a huge variety of reasons.
Maybe in this case though 417 are making so much money they really dont care...which seems odd when the product seems to fall so far short. So if they sell bad product and dont give proper support...how on earth are they still in business ?
I'm just talking out of my *** here but could this be due to the overwhelming amount of low to medium effort builds where guys are running on the street with lower boost settings and never really find the coolers limit?
I know a few guys using A2W units at 15ish lb. boost levels in street car applications that in reality probably don't need A2W coolers.
I'd imagine the 417 unit could do enough of the job cooling lower boost engines but when placed into service in an application like the OP's its short comings become very evident.
It's too bad that 417 didn't make it right for the OP in some form though.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

Very possibly...often we all buy stuff we really dont need...and again...and again lol

Or as others have mentioned, some buy parts, rant about how great they are...except they're still sitting in a box in their house or garage and may be there for years to come.

And also rating a cooler on a power number is meaningless.

Just so many wrongs here. But at least with Shearer everything is now right and he can move onwards.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very possibly...often we all buy stuff we really dont need...and again...and again lol

Or as others have mentioned, some buy parts, rant about how great they are...except they're still sitting in a box in their house or garage and may be there for years to come.

And also rating a cooler on a power number is meaningless.

Just so many wrongs here. But at least with Shearer everything is now right and he can move onwards.
I definitely drank the Kool Aide on both these guys before really understanding or knowing how they operate. Lots was learned to say the least. Time and time again I see the same antics used when someone speaks up about how they were treated or dealt with. It's deny and bash the guy who has asked for assistance.

As far as not being a vendor anymore I'm sure the finances play in somewhat, but what I've realized too is the endlessly renewing pool of suckers (such as myself initially) who are joining the facebook groups every day. Much easier to there to conduct business this way than it is in an actual community where these convos can be searched and reviewed before pulling the trigger on a product or company.

I can absolutely tell you over on facebook there were several guys talking about how great their 417 coolers were, only for it to do some digging where it was finally exposed later that they had either A)never installed them, or B) didn't actually have any data to back up the claims.

Most puzzling of all tho are the select few who actually DID post their data and the temps looked perfectly fine. This I have yet to totally wrap my head around because there are so many factors with slow reading sensors...etc. At the end of the day, for me, it wasn't so much that the thing didn't perform as I was assured it would, but rather the way it was handled and how I was treated when it didn't work. Keep in mind I tried to take care of the whole deal behind closed doors repeatedly before asking publicly for help.

Anyhow, I am pleased to have reached a conclusion on it and now have a functioning cooler, it just sucks to now have $1800 worth of intercooler sitting here that quite honestly I can't imagine anyone is going to want to pay good $ for once I put the data out. Double edged sword. If I have helped anyone from making the same mistake I still feel good about it even if my pockets are a little lighter lol
Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

The unit you have is still perfectly good to sell, just for someone at a lower level of heat removal.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The unit you have is still perfectly good to sell, just for someone at a lower level of heat removal.
I was thinking that too Steve, then thought about it a little more. Would it?

A lower boost scenario would have a reduced delta T... reducing thermal transfer rate. The only way I can think of improving this units cooling is to run less air mass at higher pressure. Small engine, high boost.

Cooling capability and performance aside, I guarantee someone will buy it just because it looks cool. Performance isn't always at the top of everyone's list. And for some, it doesn't matter at all, as long as it looks good. It does do that very well.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Someone will buy it. There were several that went up for sale once this thread surfaced and they sold quickly.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by 408GT
Someone will buy it. There were several that went up for sale once this thread surfaced and they sold quickly.
I saw that too...was amazed. I wanted to link this thread, but couldnt see derailing someones sale.

To the OP, i truly was literally about to pull the trigger on this set up when this thread was young n growing. You DEFINATELY saved me from buying this over priced junk.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:36 AM
9 Second Club

gofundme for the testing ? lol
Old 06-21-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 407 Posts

I don't believe its a defective product, it was simply over match for this application.
I would list it for sale and just be very forthcoming with who ever wants to purchase it and let them know if they have a similar setup it will probably not give the results they're after.
Someone looking to save space in regards to plumbing with a more mild combo this would be applicable I think.
I'd list it, see what happens, give someone a good deal and recoup some of your costs.

Quick Reply: 417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data