Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What made you switch from procharger to turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
106 mph so you definitely got me covered there lol. How much power are you making?
740 at the tire.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Going to do my best. Im going to ramp it in sooner, been laying into it at the '60. Going to lean on the car a bit harder tomorrow. Plus I've got some grudge action, I really need to win!
Hope you get the 9 and the win!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

740 at the tire.
To be honest with you I’d like to have more torque in this heavy car. First and 2nd seems strong but the bottom of 3rd seems like a weak spot then it starts coming on again about 6000 rpm in 3rd. The 2-3 shift at 6800 brings me back down to about 5000 rpm. I plan to stick with the procharger but possibly move up to a 376 when it’s time for a built motor.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

To be honest with you I’d like to have more torque in this heavy car. First and 2nd seems strong but the bottom of 3rd seems like a weak spot then it starts coming on again about 6000 rpm in 3rd. The 2-3 shift at 6800 brings me back down to about 5000 rpm. I plan to stick with the procharger but possibly move up to a 376 when it’s time for a built motor.
I've seen it said that the 60 has wide ratios, not sure how true that is. But if it is, heavy handed torque is nearly a requirement.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 580 Likes on 450 Posts

Pshhh, that hunk of junk would blow out the 3-4 pack or whatever yall call it, strip out the basket and melt down, before he ever even got close to beating me.
I agree. The trans would probably explode like a nuclear bomb went off. Pieces would be scattered all over the track. You would beat me so bad that I would drive my car into a ditch, walk away and move away to seclusion and live like a hermit for the rest of my life. You would beat me by so many bus lengths that it would look like school just let out.

In reality, You probably just have the fastest car in your trailer park. Lol.

look man, your hate 4l60’s. I get it. Cool. It’s not my fault whoever your builder was didn’t know what the **** they were doing when they built your ****. That what happens all to often. It actually takes knowledge and money to build a 4l60 correctly. Obviously there’s not many shops or people that are really able to do it and have them live. So that and coupled with the fact that the 4l60 is probably one of the most common transmissions around, makes for more publicly known problems. I’ve seen my fair share of failures, but I have seen the same **** with turbo 400’s and 12 bolt rear ends. And those failures are usually a builder error. I know the issue a buddy of mine is going through RIGHT NOW with his turbo 400, failing twice in two months time is likely a builder error. You have to think about this bullshit logically tho. not like a woman. There’s how many th400 driving around on the road today? A lot, right? No. But then consider how many 4l60’s are in the road. Does that put **** in perspective? Or you still ignorantly hung up on your assumption that the 4l60 has glass internals. I’m sure you’ll have something smartass to say. But whatever.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

740 at the tire.
740 at the tire? You only trapping 140?. My buddy’s 4th gen camaro made 764 at the tire and was running 8.50’s at 159mph. Full weight car with a cage. And he was on the limiter before the traps because he ran out of gear. Maybe it was a typo and you meant 640 at the tire?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Well I don’t feel so bad I’ve been 6.58 with a da around 2000 with a slow sbe procharged GTO with a 4l60e lol.
O man. Stock bottom end 5.7 and a built 4l60 like what I have too. Weird. What boost were you running? Like 14lbs right?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I agree. The trans would probably explode like a nuclear bomb went off. Pieces would be scattered all over the track. You would beat me so bad that I would drive my car into a ditch, walk away and move away to seclusion and live like a hermit for the rest of my life. You would beat me by so many bus lengths that it would look like school just let out.

In reality, You probably just have the fastest car in your trailer park. Lol.

look man, your hate 4l60’s. I get it. Cool. It’s not my fault whoever your builder was didn’t know what the **** they were doing when they built your ****. That what happens all to often. It actually takes knowledge and money to build a 4l60 correctly. Obviously there’s not many shops or people that are really able to do it and have them live. So that and coupled with the fact that the 4l60 is probably one of the most common transmissions around, makes for more publicly known problems. I’ve seen my fair share of failures, but I have seen the same **** with turbo 400’s and 12 bolt rear ends. And those failures are usually a builder error. I know the issue a buddy of mine is going through RIGHT NOW with his turbo 400, failing twice in two months time is likely a builder error. You have to think about this bullshit logically tho. not like a woman. There’s how many th400 driving around on the road today? A lot, right? No. But then consider how many 4l60’s are in the road. Does that put **** in perspective? Or you still ignorantly hung up on your assumption that the 4l60 has glass internals. I’m sure you’ll have something smartass to say. But whatever.
Well let's look at this foolishness you've typed. First, I own my home, and have never lived in a trailer. Second I've NEVER had a 60 in my trans tunnel, and 3rd i build my own transmissions. And if you were near as smart as you thought you were, you'd realize that while there are many 60Es on the road, how many are in high powered vehicles, as opposed to 400s (which if you haven't figured out, is the focus of this forum)? When watching car vids 1320 etc, how many of the big boys are running the 60e? Nearly ALL of them are 400s/glide/80E. I understand that your lack of common sense is not something that you can help, so you are forgiven.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

O man. Stock bottom end 5.7 and a built 4l60 like what I have too. Weird. What boost were you running? Like 14lbs right?
Yes 14 psi peak remember it’s a procharger boost is linear.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

740 at the tire? You only trapping 140?. My buddy’s 4th gen camaro made 764 at the tire and was running 8.50’s at 159mph. Full weight car with a cage. And he was on the limiter before the traps because he ran out of gear. Maybe it was a typo and you meant 640 at the tire?
You really are retarded, I couldn't care less about "your buddy".
Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Most people will defend their choice as the only correct choice. I don’t believe that. I feel I made the right choice for what I wanted, but it may not be right for others.

I like it all...big inch high compression NA, 5.3 turbo, prochargers, big inch whippled setups...they all are cool in their own way.
I agree, I like power and how I make it depends on the vehicle and what it's used for. You can almost always make more power than you can put down on the street fairly easy.

When it comes to all out power and efficiency then the turbo is king but sometimes it's not all about max power and efficiency. You have so many other things to consider, Available Space/ Heat/ Ease of installation/ Dependability/ Cost/ Eye Appeal/ Intended Use and probably a dozen other things to consider.
I run a LSA supercharger with a 6-spd and think they compliment each other, Boost comes in instantly so no lag between shifts, Plenty of torque down low and that helps when running a clutch versus a converter, The truck is setup to turn corners not drag race so it's good to have power come on smooth and early.
I also have a 408 with a big polished aluminum but inefficient roots blower that still capable of making 1,000hp. (50 Chevy 5-window truck)
Another toy I'm working on will be NA LY6 running Inglese stack injection. (Street legal sprint car)
I have a another old 50 chevy truck that I want to build with twin turbo and automatic if I ever manage to get to it.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 11-08-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Well let's look at this foolishness you've typed. First, I own my home, and have never lived in a trailer. Second I've NEVER had a 60 in my trans tunnel, and 3rd i build my own transmissions. And if you were near as smart as you thought you were, you'd realize that while there are many 60Es on the road, how many are in high powered vehicles, as opposed to 400s (which if you haven't figured out, is the focus of this forum)? When watching car vids 1320 etc, how many of the big boys are running the 60e? Nearly ALL of them are 400s/glide/80E. I understand that your lack of common sense is not something that you can help, so you are forgiven.
Thanks for forgiving me.

Using a 400 is the easy way out. I’d prefer a challenge.

I don’t think I’m smart. I’m actually pretty dumb because I’m wasting my time entertaining this pissing match with you about transmissions and your fastest car in the world.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

You really are retarded, I couldn't care less about "your buddy".
fair enough. I’m a Retard. Cool. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for forgiving me.

Using a 400 is the easy way out. I’d prefer a challenge.

I don’t think I’m smart. I’m actually pretty dumb because I’m wasting my time entertaining this pissing match with you about transmissions and your fastest car in the world.
Show where I said I have the "fastest car in the world ". Not only are you mentally substandard, but now you've resorted to lying.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Show where I said I have the "fastest car in the world ". Not only are you mentally substandard, but now you've resorted to lying.
You just act like it. That’s all. Sometimes you just gotta lie tho!
And I’m not mentally substandard, I’m mentally challenged, get it straight. Or like you said above, I’m a retard. Lol. This is so dumb.

honestly I’ve been getting a kick out of your posts, your insults and stuff. It’s pretty funny, so don’t stop. It’s making the day go by faster. ****. Before I knows it, it’s already lunch time. So thanks for the time passing! Usually the morning is boring and drags on for me but you’ve provided some comical entertainment! What else you got for me??
Old 11-08-2019, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

It actually takes knowledge and money to build a 4l60 correctly. Obviously there’s not many shops or people that are really able to do it and have them live.r.
You can build the best 4l60e money can buy and it still won't hold big power on a sticky track for long and it's not money well spent. There is a reason why people build the Powerglide/400/4l80 and yes even the C6 trans. They are more durable and cost effective.

LOL you can't use trap speed alone to determine power, There are several variables that determine trap speed. One car may rocket off the line and not gain much on the top end and another may be a pooch off the line and make it up at the big end with more MPH.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

Kfxguy another thing to consider is E85. I was able to run 5 more degrees peak timing. 13 on pump and 18 on E. That’s a lot of power right there.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
You can build the best 4l60e money can buy and it still won't hold big power on a sticky track for long and it's not money well spent. There is a reason why people build the Powerglide/400/4l80 and yes even the C6 trans. They are more durable and cost effective.

LOL you can't use trap speed alone to determine power, There are several variables that determine trap speed. One car may rocket off the line and not gain much on the top end and another may be a pooch off the line and make it up at the big end with more MPH.
All of THIS^^.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Kfxguy another thing to consider is E85. I was able to run 5 more degrees peak timing. 13 on pump and 18 on E. That’s a lot of power right there.
Ahhh. Gotcha. Yea I’m running pump with some race gas additive.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I gotta think of something stupid to say some game ova will insult me some more. I’m starting to get bored again. Gimme a minute.....

Quick Reply: What made you switch from procharger to turbo?