Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What made you switch from procharger to turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Thanks for all of the advice guys! I seriously do appreciate the input and all the information on this forum. That along with the help of Speed Inc. it should save me a lot of head aches figuring out issues to maximize my setup because it's all already been done.

I've decided I will be going with a D1X on E85 flex fuel system as recommended by Speed Inc. I will stick with a 4l60E trans and stick with the factory IRS with drive shaft shop parts in it.

Biggest thing left is whether I can swing a built shortblock into the budget or not. If not we'll run it on low boost on the cam only stock bottom end for a year or until it gets hurt. If I can afford a built shortblock as well I'll go ahead with that and run it near 15 psi or so and shoot for the 700 rwhp goal.

I'm thinking about a 3.820 bore 5.3 aluminum block and reuse everything I can off of my current ls1 would be the absolute cheapest way to go. I'm just not sure how the little 332 would do in a heavy car like my GTO. Or just boost the stock motor till it goes it may last a while.
Seems like people have no issues with 600rwhp these days. I hope to one day be able to answer the "is it enough power" question. Sure seems like it would be from where I'm sitting. I guess it can be hard to restrain yourself once youre all set up and you know that a simple blower pulley swap could give you even more....
Old 11-07-2019, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 580 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Absolutely nobody still makes a decent looking GTO kit. Anything currently available looks like a hacked up plug change nightmare. The only really "factory" looking kit that was ever made was the $9000 Japanese kit that is now discontinued, and it could only fit small twins that would choke at under 600rwhp. I sold my old STS kit a while back and decided to just build my own front mount because of the lack of available kit options.
this is funny you said this....even tho i'm a couple years behind in this thread, When i built mine, one of my number 1 concerns was plug access and wires burning. I was successful in making plug access as easy as stock and still have not burned one plug wire. Wish i could get my kit copied and sell it. It truly is a reliable setup.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since this thread is revived, I get to post my frustration:

Belt changes. Holy mother of ******* god - last night I wanted to throw the ******* procharger in the trash. The Aster Bracket as good as it is, is a massive nightmare to change a belt. Maybe my lack of experience with dealing with a procharger bracket on an F body car - but the Alternator pulley and the head unit pulley are so close together, that you've got maybe 1/8'th of an inch to slide a belt through. And if it's a thick 8 rib belt, good. *******. luck. After struggling for hours changing the belt, I now realize I could have taken a slightly different approach for next time.

With that being said, I would deal with the belt change 10x over vs dealing with another turbo car , personally. I have an F1x, so maybe my opinion is biased. But the power comes on early, and it comes on fast and in monstrous fashion. I made 6.8lbs of boost while slipping my belt which puts me at approx 730whp - 6 ******* lbs. Granted my motor made 510whp naturally aspirated.

The whole reason for the belt change was because I put on an 8 rib pulley system, but at the time had a 6 rib belt to put on that happened to be the right length. Surprised it's already slipping, but the 8 rib will fix this.

I guess my next question is, how much power can you put to the ground on the street in controllable fashion before it's pointless?? Track car is a different story. But to know that all I need to do is swap the pulley to make a 1000whp and make slight fueling/timing adjustments... I'm okay with that.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AndyTA
Since this thread is revived, I get to post my frustration:

Belt changes. Holy mother of ******* god - last night I wanted to throw the ******* procharger in the trash. The Aster Bracket as good as it is, is a massive nightmare to change a belt. Maybe my lack of experience with dealing with a procharger bracket on an F body car - but the Alternator pulley and the head unit pulley are so close together, that you've got maybe 1/8'th of an inch to slide a belt through. And if it's a thick 8 rib belt, good. *******. luck. After struggling for hours changing the belt, I now realize I could have taken a slightly different approach for next time.

With that being said, I would deal with the belt change 10x over vs dealing with another turbo car , personally. I have an F1x, so maybe my opinion is biased. But the power comes on early, and it comes on fast and in monstrous fashion. I made 6.8lbs of boost while slipping my belt which puts me at approx 730whp - 6 ******* lbs. Granted my motor made 510whp naturally aspirated.

The whole reason for the belt change was because I put on an 8 rib pulley system, but at the time had a 6 rib belt to put on that happened to be the right length. Surprised it's already slipping, but the 8 rib will fix this.

I guess my next question is, how much power can you put to the ground on the street in controllable fashion before it's pointless?? Track car is a different story. But to know that all I need to do is swap the pulley to make a 1000whp and make slight fueling/timing adjustments... I'm okay with that.

sand blast the smaller pulley. It works very well. Ive done it on some really fast mustangs (8.70-9.20) and a silverado. Completely stopped the slippage.

You can be biased. thats ok. Once I figured out how to lessen the lag, ive been very happy with my setup. In first gear my boost comes on very very quickly. The only time i have lag is from a second gear roll if I pull it into second and cruise for a second and nail it. if i put it into third, nail it and it down shifts, theres way less lag. Or I can hold the brake a little and give it throttle and hold it at 45+mph....itll build boost if i'm roll racing and theres NO lag at that point. I like that i can change my power levels at the press of a button too.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
sand blast the smaller pulley. It works very well. Ive done it on some really fast mustangs (8.70-9.20) and a silverado. Completely stopped the slippage.

You can be biased. thats ok. Once I figured out how to lessen the lag, ive been very happy with my setup. In first gear my boost comes on very very quickly. The only time i have lag is from a second gear roll if I pull it into second and cruise for a second and nail it. if i put it into third, nail it and it down shifts, theres way less lag. Or I can hold the brake a little and give it throttle and hold it at 45+mph....itll build boost if i'm roll racing and theres NO lag at that point. I like that i can change my power levels at the press of a button too.
That's very interesting!
When you say sand blast the smaller pulley - which one exactly? My smaller pulely is the head unit pulley. Just trying to understand :-)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

A good controller can make a turbo car VERY controllable. And one of the main reasons for boosting by turbo is as you already said, silly things like belt slip/breakage. With a controller, you can go from "valet mode" AKA on the spring, to kill mode at the touch of a button. Supercharging really makes little sense, for the typical street car, that's serious about convenience and power.
The following users liked this post:
Kfxguy (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

That's very interesting!
When you say sand blast the smaller pulley - which one exactly? My smaller pulely is the head unit pulley. Just trying to understand :-)
Yes the blower pulley. Blast the ribs. It gives the pulley way more grip. No it doesn’t chew belts. Some dummy said it would chew belts. I asked if he did it. No reply. I have and no one that I did it for said shortened belt life. Actually helps because it’s not slipping anymore.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
A good controller can make a turbo car VERY controllable. And one of the main reasons for boosting by turbo is as you already said, silly things like belt slip/breakage. With a controller, you can go from "valet mode" AKA on the spring, to kill mode at the touch of a button. Supercharging really makes little sense, for the typical street car, that's serious about convenience and power.
Hear lotsa problems about belt slip. That's true. Not sure why. Drove a hci ford with an S trim at 11lbs of boost and never had an issue. Is it an fbody packaging thing?

But belt issues can be overcome. Your other choice is to put the equivalent of the Manhattan sewer piping system to run a turbo. And have lots of stuff to burn the **** out of you and your car. And the best looking setups always seem to be custom made by skilled people. Lot easier to just order a procharger kit that alredday fits and works. Too much S going on underhood on a turbo car. Can be done really nice looking on a car with room....love flipped shorty turbo headers....add symmetrical turbos? Whooooo..... but in a tightly packaged car that you don't want to gut - much harder. F man, I've never even changed the plugs on my bird and don't know if I ever will. Were changed once before and car has 34k...... looks like a nightmare. Stuffing my fat *** in aND around that thing sucks in general. Gotta lay out tons of fender and car Covers and lean all over that mother Fr, fishing around in the dark nether regions for S. Now add 8 yards of exhaust piping all in up and around that bitch? No thank you maam.

Then there is the wow factor. Blows pretty hard that a PC has to buried under the car on a 4th gen, but I like the look of a blower better than that of a turbo. And the sound of a blown car with a lumpy cam at idle? OOOOOOOOH dear sweet sweet Jesus. That whistle surging back and fOrth while the car chops away. Oooooooooh. M.G. And the exhaust. Car sound good before you put a blower on it? Yeah? Now it sounds better with all of that extra air going through it bur more importantly - blower whine while being driven in anger. Mios Dios Mommy Poppy, aye aye aye. Turbo car? Car exhaust sound good before putting a turbo on it? Yeah? Well now it sounds exactly the same but with a couple of half clogged cats on it. Cheek Click Sound then..."really nice Clark."

Maybe it's what you grow up with or fantasizing about. I used to watch those 10.5 tire freak show Mustangs at Englishtown when I was younger. Giant centri's stuffed in different spots making ridiculous power trying to keep the front tires on the ground and back pedaling the whole godam track sometimes. Holy God and Moses and Jesus and ghandi and Santa Claus ****. That was at least on way to get my late teenage dick hard while surrounded by scruffy men. Probably the only way. Probably.

Im sitting hear right now imitating the sound of a centri going up and down on a camed car. One of my favorite things in the world. Helicut, straight cut, whateverTheF cut.....make that little boost monkey loud and whiny. Like taking away a present and a piece of cake from a fat kid on Xmas. Whine you little bitch! Whine!
Old 11-07-2019, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

With that being said, I would deal with the belt change 10x over vs dealing with another turbo car , personally.
What did you have to deal with on a turbo car ? They should be very simple and reliable ?

But yes, the throttle response and lower rpm power of a centrifugal are excellent. That is missed with a turbo setup.....the noise and belt issues however are not.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Hear lotsa problems about belt slip. That's true. Not sure why. Drove a hci ford with an S trim at 11lbs of boost and never had an issue. Is it an fbody packaging thing?

But belt issues can be overcome. Your other choice is to put the equivalent of the Manhattan sewer piping system to run a turbo. And have lots of stuff to burn the **** out of you and your car. And the best looking setups always seem to be custom made by skilled people. Lot easier to just order a procharger kit that alredday fits and works. Too much S going on underhood on a turbo car. Can be done really nice looking on a car with room....love flipped shorty turbo headers....add symmetrical turbos? Whooooo..... but in a tightly packaged car that you don't want to gut - much harder. F man, I've never even changed the plugs on my bird and don't know if I ever will. Were changed once before and car has 34k...... looks like a nightmare. Stuffing my fat *** in aND around that thing sucks in general. Gotta lay out tons of fender and car Covers and lean all over that mother Fr, fishing around in the dark nether regions for S. Now add 8 yards of exhaust piping all in up and around that bitch? No thank you maam.

Then there is the wow factor. Blows pretty hard that a PC has to buried under the car on a 4th gen, but I like the look of a blower better than that of a turbo. And the sound of a blown car with a lumpy cam at idle? OOOOOOOOH dear sweet sweet Jesus. That whistle surging back and fOrth while the car chops away. Oooooooooh. M.G. And the exhaust. Car sound good before you put a blower on it? Yeah? Now it sounds better with all of that extra air going through it bur more importantly - blower whine while being driven in anger. Mios Dios Mommy Poppy, aye aye aye. Turbo car? Car exhaust sound good before putting a turbo on it? Yeah? Well now it sounds exactly the same but with a couple of half clogged cats on it. Cheek Click Sound then..."really nice Clark."

Maybe it's what you grow up with or fantasizing about. I used to watch those 10.5 tire freak show Mustangs at Englishtown when I was younger. Giant centri's stuffed in different spots making ridiculous power trying to keep the front tires on the ground and back pedaling the whole godam track sometimes. Holy God and Moses and Jesus and ghandi and Santa Claus ****. That was at least on way to get my late teenage dick hard while surrounded by scruffy men. Probably the only way. Probably.

Im sitting hear right now imitating the sound of a centri going up and down on a camed car. One of my favorite things in the world. Helicut, straight cut, whateverTheF cut.....make that little boost monkey loud and whiny. Like taking away a present and a piece of cake from a fat kid on Xmas. Whine you little bitch! Whine!
Yea, lots of "piping burning everything in sight", no room in this "tightly packaged car". Plug changes are a nightmare as well, 30 minutes maybe? Car is a 2000 SS btw.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

It depends on the kit, more than anything else. Sc or Turbo. The kit will determine how much you love it or hate it.

How much you have to cut, how much you have to customize, etc

The debate of SC v Turbo, if I'm being completely impartial here, never made sense to me. It's kit vs kit to me.

Stevie,

I admit I didn't build them that way, my first two turbo cars were purchased. They weren't built correctly. I just feel like there are more possibilities of things going wrong on the turbo. Oil feed for one.

You can get critical and pick my post apart if you please, just sharing my own experience.

Again, kit vs kit. And what Anotherws6 said. A centri to me is the best of all worlds. So I built my car that way.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11-07-2019, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

I’ve been happy with my D1x so far maxing out a 2 bar map. No issues with under hood temps or iat. No belt slip issues. It’s also easy to drive predictable responsive power. No nonsense staging the car. Just really simple and effective setup.

The GTO kit seems to be better than the fbody kit. The bigger head units have some issues with bracket flex leading to belt slip which they correct with a brace from what I hear.

At some point I can see where a turbo would be the way to go, but for where I am under 700 rwhp the D1x has been perfect.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

It depends on the kit, more than anything else. Sc or Turbo. The kit will determine how much you love it or hate it.

The debate of SC v Turbo, if I'm being completely impartial here, never made sense to me. It's kit vs kit to me.

Stevie,

I admit I didn't build them that way, my first two turbo cars were purchased. They weren't built correctly. I just feel like there are more possibilities of things going wrong on the turbo. Oil feed for one.

You can get critical and pick my post apart if you please, just sharing my own experience.

Again, kit vs kit. And what Anotherws6 said. A centri to me is the best of all worlds. So I built my car that way.

Thanks,
Andy

I dont think think he’s picking apart your post. He is sensitive tho. (Game ova) He’s very proud of his car and he gets upset easily. We are all proud of our cars. After all, we have lots of time and money invested so we all have every right to be. He’s just still sensitive because I told him he fucked his car up by putting a th400 in it. Now he’s salty and it’s my fault. Sorry my buddy, I didn’t mean to offend you. We still friends?
Old 11-07-2019, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I’ve been happy with my D1x so far maxing out a 2 bar map. No issues with under hood temps or iat. No belt slip issues. It’s also easy to drive predictable responsive power. No nonsense staging the car. Just really simple and effective setup.

The GTO kit seems to be better than the fbody kit. The bigger head units have some issues with bracket flex leading to belt slip which they correct with a brace from what I hear.

At some point I can see where a turbo would be the way to go, but for where I am under 700 rwhp the D1x has been perfect.

im glad to hear. I like the fact how hard you are pushing the sane motor I have. Makes me feel optimistic. I should have some 10.50’s at 130 in my car within reach. Gonna see tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think think he’s picking apart your post. He is sensitive tho. (Game ova) He’s very proud of his car and he gets upset easily. We are all proud of our cars. After all, we have lots of time and money invested so we all have every right to be. He’s just still sensitive because I told him he fucked his car up by putting a th400 in it. Now he’s salty and it’s my fault. Sorry my buddy, I didn’t mean to offend you. We still friends?
No no not at all haha - I don't think he picked my original opinion/post apart at all - I mean if he wanted to pick apart my latest response, he is welcome to do so.
Not trying to stir the pot here lol.

And I completely agree. We are all passionate about what *we* built - no one likes having their pride-possession being picked apart.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Most people will defend their choice as the only correct choice. I don’t believe that. I feel I made the right choice for what I wanted, but it may not be right for others.

I like it all...big inch high compression NA, 5.3 turbo, prochargers, big inch whippled setups...they all are cool in their own way.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Stevie,

Thanks,
Andy
Oil feed is surely one of the easiest aspects ?

But yes, if you use a bad kit, you will have a bad experience, good kit, good experience. That's pretty universal though, turbo, blower, or whatever. A centri is great on average up until, or maybe a little over 4 figures. After that belt drives can get more tricky.
Certainly at lower levels, belt issues should not exist and they should be very reliable, and yes I loved my YSi.

But after living with my YSi for over 10 years, one big kicker for me was the noise. Yes they can and do sound great.....on other peoples cars lol It does get tedious when its your own car. Yet it was that noise that made me do my first ever supercharged setup with the YSi, back in 2004 or so when I swapped the LS to my car.

I do miss the throttle response, the instant power. I do not miss the belt issues or noise though.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Lol, you're funny guy. I've never once been "upset/sensitive" around this forum, nor am I salty. However!, I do wish we lived close enough to where I could gap you with my $%&#÷@ up race car. Its hard for me to be offended by a guy that has a wicked fast "real street car" that's turbo'd and traps 123mph. Gonna have to get your weight way up to even have a shot at offending me. You're one of those guys that put 320 compound street tires on a car, now it spins, so you think its fast .
The following users liked this post:
Kfxguy (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

But yes, if you use a bad kit, you will have a bad experience, good kit, good experience. That's pretty universal though, turbo, blower, or whatever. A centri is great on average up until, or maybe a little over 4 figures. After that belt drives can get more tricky.
Certainly at lower levels, belt issues should not exist and they should be very reliable, and yes I loved my YSi.

But after living with my YSi for over 10 years, one big kicker for me was the noise. Yes they can and do sound great.....on other peoples cars lol It does get tedious when its your own car. Yet it was that noise that made me do my first ever supercharged setup with the YSi, back in 2004 or so when I swapped the LS to my car.

I do miss the throttle response, the instant power. I do not miss the belt issues or noise though.
You make a great point about noise actually - Because my F1x is something new to me, I'm enjoying the sounds. I wonder how much that will hold up a year from now? or even 6 months from now? Will I get sick and tired of the constant whistle? Will I have a bad experience with my belts? etc etc. Only time will tell.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

That was the main driver for me. I had the big Kooks with 3.5 merged collectors to Kooks True Duals. Truly a beautiful system. That F1C noise and the BS I dealt with trying to make an air filter set up that I actually accepted was the main driver, not Belt Slip. I had the 8 Rib set up with SDC or whatever it's called mount. That said, the dumb *** way that I sweat all the little stuff and over think and complicate stuff, I should have probably just stood the radiator up, put on the quieter red valve, plus a F1A or D1X to gain a little more filter room would have been smarter and cheaper.

I don't think that I'm going to gain much power but I do think the torque is going to be better. I went with a Huron V3 AC Kit with a Precision 76/75 CEA Billet Wheel. This will have a few things that would have improved the PC F1C this version has a G1Pro Garrett cored A2A (generic FMIC on the PC FIC before), Moroso Pan and will be on Flex Fuel. It was 750/666 with a filter and 800/650 without before through a T56 and a MWC 9" (multiple times and weather conditions rock steady duplication--Built 6.0/AFR 225s/LS6 Intake). My hope this round with the better stuff on it is 800/800 through a 4L80 and the same rear. After the first startup though I have appreciated the silence. Even with the cut out open at the end of the down pipe it's quieter than before.

The good news for people reading this is that Bob at Brute and Jon at Huron are truly terrific in advice and answering questions.

Quick Reply: What made you switch from procharger to turbo?