Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What made you switch from procharger to turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
What do you mean by feels like a big NA motor? I would think that's a good thing, no?

Somebody earlier complained about the noise from a PC while cruising down the highway. Is that not an issue?
The power is linear like an NA car. When you mat the gas in a PC car you don't get to peak boost until over 6k RPM, with a 2-3k RPM lag before anything significant happens. When you mash out in a turbo car it feels like you got rear ended by a Mack truck.

And yes some people think the constant noise from a blower gets old, its cool at first but after awhile gets annoying.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
lol, every time I'm in a procharged car someone asks if the car is broken. Between the hissing at idle and the racket most headunits make sound like they are falling apart.

Except it feels like a big NA engine but without the throttle response.
Lol yea I kinda liked the sound, but never LOVED it

What do you mean by feels like a big NA motor? I would think that's a good thing, no?

Somebody earlier complained about the noise from a PC while cruising down the highway. Is that not an issue?
Eh basically I just meant it feels like a higher powered n/a motor. Power doesn't hit anything like a turbo car. You put a turbo ls1 f-body on 8 psi and a procharged f-body on 8 psi and the turbo car is going to kick the procharged cars *** and it's going to feel A LOT faster.. In comparison my turbo f- body trapped 124 and my previous procharged c5z trapped around 124. Both on about 8 psi. The turbo car is way more fun and felt much faster then a 124mph trapping car if that makes sense.

Then all I had to do was retune and turn up the boost and it ran low 10's@141. Now it feels insane and I never would have been this fast with a procharged car because I'm lazy lol.

As far as the sound goes on procharger. I never even heard it going down the highway it was so quiet. I wanted to hear it more and it just was never very loud on any of my cars. Just the broken tensioner noise at idle. I'm not even trying to make the noise sound bad I kinda liked it, but a tensioner going out is the best way I can describe it.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

No, no turbo kit from Huron.

ddnsniper, I have HEARD the same thing. I also ralize that this is the internet so at least half of us a full of ****. Beware!!

But Huron does make a kit for f-bodies and kits are what a lot of us want. I don't want to figure anything out. I just want a big box of **** and instructions. I just specked a single kit out, stayed very conservative with the options and it was $5,400. I was surprised. And I easliy could have added several thousand in options t that price. Which I'll do now......

Over $9,000. Really surprising.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

No, no turbo kit from Huron.

ddnsniper, I have HEARD the same thing. I also ralize that this is the internet so at least half of us a full of ****. Beware!!

But Huron does make a kit for f-bodies and kits are what a lot of us want. I don't want to figure anything out. I just want a big box of **** and instructions. I just specked a single kit out, stayed very conservative with the options and it was $5,400. I was surprised. And I easliy could have added several thousand in options t that price. Which I'll do now......

Over $9,000. Really surprising.
just bite the bullet and put an STS kit on it
Old 06-12-2017, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Like this blast from the past article?
Old 06-12-2017, 03:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
That's funny!!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
That's funny!!!!
i miss the old days where Zombie would come in with his badass rear mount setup, then this thread could go in a whole new direction lmao.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Funny you say this, just yesterday I started thinking about selling my complete exhaust...turbo and all, and going rear mount.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Funny you say this, just yesterday I started thinking about selling my complete exhaust...turbo and all, and going rear mount.
For serious?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

For serious?
Yea, somewhat. I don't want to hackup the front of the car for more turbo, no way to go with a big boy turbo as I'm out of room. And I'm convinced that big power can be made with a rear mount. But then I thought, you can't even use what little power you have right now, so what's the use? That lt1 car really changed my position about rear mount setups. I just need someones credit card so I can get tires and finish the suspension!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Yea, somewhat. I don't want to hackup the front of the car for more turbo, no way to go with a big boy turbo as I'm out of room. And I'm convinced that big power can be made with a rear mount. But then I thought, you can't even use what little power you have right now, so what's the use? That lt1 car really changed my position about rear mount setups. I just need someones credit card so I can get tires and finish the suspension!
sounds like you need an F1 blower
High flo turbo, one of those old vendors like I was mentioning pages ago, put their turbo where the battery was. Maybe look into a custom hotside to put it there so you don't have to stand the radiator up.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Wow...makes me wonder how procharger is even still in business since they suck so bad.

As far as I know Huron doesn't make a turbo kit for GTO's. I don't think the APS twin turbo kit is being made anymore either. The only decent looking turbo kit I found for the GTO was the UPP kit here...If you can take a break from the pissing match and give an honest opinion of this kit it would be appreciated.

http://uppturbo.com/parts/upp-05-06-gto-twin-turbo-kit/
As said many posts ago....there is just no way to assess a kit...from a picture.

It needs to be on cars and proven over thousands of miles. I dislike the manifolds, purely from an access point of view, but the rest of it is probably fine.

The Procharger is a simple bolt on, the D1X you refer to will easily meet your goals. I really would be swayed in that direction unless you can speak to a good number of genuine UPP users who can verify it is a good reliable kit.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
As said many posts ago....there is just no way to assess a kit...from a picture.

It needs to be on cars and proven over thousands of miles. I dislike the manifolds, purely from an access point of view, but the rest of it is probably fine.

The Procharger is a simple bolt on, the D1X you refer to will easily meet your goals. I really would be swayed in that direction unless you can speak to a good number of genuine UPP users who can verify it is a good reliable kit.
holy crap plug access....
Old 06-12-2017, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If he got the kit with the cast manifolds it would probably be a bit better....but I'd still be siding with the blower here unless he can find good solid evidence about that kit.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

If he got the kit with the cast manifolds it would probably be a bit better....but I'd still be siding with the blower here unless he can find good solid evidence about that kit.
nobody else makes a kit that uses the stock manifolds or flipped manifolds or something?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

nobody else makes a kit that uses the stock manifolds or flipped manifolds or something?
Absolutely nobody still makes a decent looking GTO kit. Anything currently available looks like a hacked up plug change nightmare. The only really "factory" looking kit that was ever made was the $9000 Japanese kit that is now discontinued, and it could only fit small twins that would choke at under 600rwhp. I sold my old STS kit a while back and decided to just build my own front mount because of the lack of available kit options.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
Absolutely nobody still makes a decent looking GTO kit. Anything currently available looks like a hacked up plug change nightmare. The only really "factory" looking kit that was ever made was the $9000 Japanese kit that is now discontinued, and it could only fit small twins that would choke at under 600rwhp. I sold my old STS kit a while back and decided to just build my own front mount because of the lack of available kit options.
what about the old APS or gen TT kits?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

what about the old APS or gen TT kits?
Neither are still made. Also, the APS kits mounted the turbos VERY low, and the GEN TT's definitely had the "kit" look to them. That being said, it would be nice if either were still available. I will admit that either of those options had a better appearance than what I have planned for my build. However, I am planning to use one stock GTO manifold and one flipped and forward truck manifold to maximize plug access while retaining all factory functions such as AC, ABS, etc. I also plan to retain full factory exhaust off-boost, while using a boost activated cutout on the downpipe for "fun times". The only non-factory sort of mods this should require are relocation of the battery and windshield washer tank, along with the requisite plumbing.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 378 Likes on 276 Posts

There is a 49 page thread about the kit on ls1gto so I spent some time reading through that last night. It looks like there were a ton of issues with that kit, but in his defense he did stick around to help work through them rather than disappearing. They also made an install video and posted it to youtube to help people out. Even with all of that I'm going to stay away from it.

There really has never been much support for the GTO from the after market. It's to small of a market for people to regain their R & D costs and the stuff that is available to us is way over priced for the most part.

There also seems to be the issue of more car to car variance with GTO's than most other cars. This seems to make the GTO much more in need of a custom kit.

I do have a close friend that is a welder fabricator and builds old hot rods. I can have him look at the car and see what he thinks. I also have a friend near by with a 2002 Vette making 1200+ rwhp. Last I knew he was running a 408 with a Vortech blower. Oh and he is also still running an RPM built 4l60e and IRS. There is a Vortech kit for the GTO, but hardly anyone uses it and I'm not sure if their bigger blower can be used with that kit without a lot of fabrication.

So really my best options at this point seem to be a big stroker with spray or a procharger. I've already had a GTO with a 408 and spray and I don't want to do that again.

Last edited by BCNUL8R; 06-13-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 378 Likes on 276 Posts

Here is the install video for the GTO UPP twin turbo kit and the video with updates to the kit.

Quick Reply: What made you switch from procharger to turbo?