Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New forged motor question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New forged motor question?

Just got my new motor running and had a question regarding my catch can. Motor has new weisco 3.905 pistons and callies compstar H beam rods. Fist thing is the thermostat won't open. Both the top and bottom hoses are cold and the temp rises fast. I think I know what I did wrong there. I didn't fill the system from the top hose, only filled the radiator. I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. Any tips on that? 2nd issue which is what got me a new motor in the first place was the catch can smoking like a chimney. Long story short broken ringland on the famous #7. Well it still smokes but no where near as bad as before. Is this normal, or should I be concerned. The machine shop did ask how much boost I was running so they could gap the rings appropriately. Could this be normal blowby because of the new rings? Let me know what you think from the video below, thanks.

Last edited by 70c10; 07-04-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is the broken ringland.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

The smoke from the new motor is normal.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:45 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why is that normal smoke...?

None of my new built LSx engines ever smoked at all.....zero smoke.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:50 AM
Banned

70c10,

About the topping off of the coolant....

Pop the upper radiator hose off and fill the block/heads from there. Then pop it back onto the water pump port. Then again, top off the radiator. Then, with the radiator cap off, start it up and stand there until you see the coolant start to flow....T-stat opened.....when the level drops top it off immediately. Then stand there and wait for it to open a second time and top it off again. Do it a third time if you need to if the level keeps dropping.
Make sure you don't sit there and over heat while waiting for it to open the first time, there could be an air bubble on the engine side of the t-stat and won't ever open.

If this happens, as the engine is idling, squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses rapidly many times each, this should move the air bubble through the t-stat and allow the hot coolant to touch it so it will open. Once it opens one time......you're good, just keep topping it off as I said above.

This is also a good time to stop using Dexcool and go GREEN coolant. I did this many years ago and my engine absolutely runs cooler all around. And it stays very clean......

Old 07-04-2017, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
70c10,

About the topping off of the coolant....

Pop the upper radiator hose off and fill the block/heads from there. Then pop it back onto the water pump port. Then again, top off the radiator. Then, with the radiator cap off, start it up and stand there until you see the coolant start to flow....T-stat opened.....when the level drops top it off immediately. Then stand there and wait for it to open a second time and top it off again. Do it a third time if you need to if the level keeps dropping.
Make sure you don't sit there and over heat while waiting for it to open the first time, there could be an air bubble on the engine side of the t-stat and won't ever open.

If this happens, as the engine is idling, squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses rapidly many times each, this should move the air bubble through the t-stat and allow the hot coolant to touch it so it will open. Once it opens one time......you're good, just keep topping it off as I said above.

This is also a good time to stop using Dexcool and go GREEN coolant. I did this many years ago and my engine absolutely runs cooler all around. And it stays very clean......

Thank you, I will try that this morning. I wont be able to squeeze the upper hose though, it's a solid tube. I already have the orange stuff in there unfortunately.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

should I be concerned? Maybe do a compression check?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 70c10
should I be concerned? Maybe do a compression check?
Maybe its just a bad PCV valve sucking a bunch of oil through the vacuum lines.

But I have never seen a new engine smoke like that, absolutely no smoke came from all my engines.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Take your oil fill cap off....see if any air is puffing out of it while its idling. Give it a rev too and see if that causes air to puff out. If puffs of air do puff out that usually means a broken ring.

You can also try to pull the PCV vacuum line off the intake vacuum port and cap the vacuum port off. See if that same smoke comes out of the oil filler neck with the cap off. If its stops coming out you have a bad PCV valve thats stuck open.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe its just a bad PCV valve sucking a bunch of oil through the vacuum lines.

But I have never seen a new engine smoke like that, absolutely no smoke came from all my engines.

I have no PCV at all right now. Both valve covers are vented to a mighty mouse catch can only. Forgot to mention my set up.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smoke looks more like steam to me as is goes away pretty fast and its not blue which is oil smoke. You dont have any puffing, its pretty steady. I think you are building condensation in the engine when it cools down and its being burned off. My new engine did the same thing and had about the same amount you are having. It quit after getting it on the road and putting some miles on it. My ring gaps are pretty big as well. I wouldnt worry unless it gets worse or turns blue from oil. You can also try removing the oil fillc ap as mentioned above to check another location.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also I would let it cool down and drain the catch can. Ill bet you only get water out of it if anything.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Take your oil fill cap off....see if any air is puffing out of it while its idling. Give it a rev too and see if that causes air to puff out. If puffs of air do puff out that usually means a broken ring.

You can also try to pull the PCV vacuum line off the intake vacuum port and cap the vacuum port off. See if that same smoke comes out of the oil filler neck with the cap off. If its stops coming out you have a bad PCV valve thats stuck open.

There is no PCV currently. I would hate to think it's a broken ring as I literally just put the motor in. I started it for the first time last night.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Taxman20
The smoke looks more like steam to me as is goes away pretty fast and its not blue which is oil smoke. You dont have any puffing, its pretty steady. I think you are building condensation in the engine when it cools down and its being burned off. My new engine did the same thing and had about the same amount you are having. It quit after getting it on the road and putting some miles on it. My ring gaps are pretty big as well. I wouldnt worry unless it gets worse or turns blue from oil. You can also try removing the oil fillc ap as mentioned above to check another location.
yeah it doesn't really seem blue to me either. I haven't even driven it yet.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

For the record this motor is in a 70 c10 not an F Body.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 70c10
There is no PCV currently. I would hate to think it's a broken ring as I literally just put the motor in. I started it for the first time last night.
I doubt its a ring issue too.

When will you take it for its first drive? 20-30 min drive will burn all the moisture that might be present in the crank case.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-04-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Ive had more than one motor do that, and they were perfectly fine.... no busted rings. The one in my car right now does it..... it's fine. Now if it was like his other vid.... then there's a problem, but his new motor vid is nothing to worry about.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I doubt its a ring issue too.

When will you take it for its first drive? 2-30 drive will burn all the moisture that might be present in the crank case.

I will take it for a drive today.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does that from time to time, just condensation. What fuel are you running?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lmt0705
Mine does that from time to time, just condensation. What fuel are you running?
I'm running 91.

Quick Reply: New forged motor question?