Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Projected horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023 | 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Still hesitating tho, brand new plugs and I checked over every single plug and ground and spark plug wire, injector plugs. I'll literally checked until I can't check anymore and the hesitation won't go away. Still throwing maf and tps but as discussed maf isn't important and voltage is good on tps and from what I've read tps can cause sporadic throttle response but shouldn't cause a sputter. I. Guessing it's in the tune
Old 11-09-2023 | 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Mm... you mention hesitating and sputtering, 2 different things to me . Hesitating = smooth running but doesn't respond quickly to throttle input. Sputtering = I'm thinking misfire/ roughness.
Old 11-09-2023 | 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCGreg
Mm... you mention hesitating and sputtering, 2 different things to me . Hesitating = smooth running but doesn't respond quickly to throttle input. Sputtering = I'm thinking misfire/ roughness.
idles and runs smooth but when I drive it there is a constant miss when i accelerate. Feels like a misfire but plugs and wires are good and yes they are snapped all the way on, my old plugs weren't even bad but I changed them today just to make sure and I've tried msd wires and a factory gm set that I have and neither one makes a difference. If I'm at at stop and foot brake and press the gas it builds boost and sounds smooth, but when I drive its a different story. Afr stays around 14-15 and when i accelerate it goes down to 11 or 12
Old 11-09-2023 | 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't have an answer but you could try going old school on it and unplug 1 injector at a time , now obviously this will cause a rough idle but the goal would be to see if the rough running stays the same with a particular cyl shut down . Maybe isolate a cyl and be able to try a coil swap or injector swap to rule things out . That's all I have at this point
Old 11-09-2023 | 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCGreg
I don't have an answer but you could try going old school on it and unplug 1 injector at a time , now obviously this will cause a rough idle but the goal would be to see if the rough running stays the same with a particular cyl shut down . Maybe isolate a cyl and be able to try a coil swap or injector swap to rule things out . That's all I have at this point
yeh I was thinking doing that too but the only thing with that is it seems to run very smooth at idle and my injectors are brand new so I would think they would be good and it didn't do this b4 the turbo install so unless a coil went out that fast it wouldn't make sense
Old 11-10-2023 | 08:48 AM
TECH Addict
LS1Tech 10 Year

Received 584 Likes on 455 Posts

If there are no codes or if you've investigated any codes, you do have and found they don't affect anything then it's probably the tune.
My Camaro ran poorly when I got it and it had supposedly been tuned (it killed the trans at WOT on the dyno so it never really got finished) but it drove like crap, the first tune Pat G sent me had it driving significantly better.
Old 11-10-2023 | 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The ******
If there are no codes or if you've investigated any codes, you do have and found they don't affect anything then it's probably the tune.
My Camaro ran poorly when I got it and it had supposedly been tuned (it killed the trans at WOT on the dyno so it never really got finished) but it drove like crap, the first tune Pat G sent me had it driving significantly better.
it's throwing a tps code and a maf code but it on speed density so the maf is understandable and I've put a meter on the tps and the voltage and ground reads good and from my understanding a bad tps causes surges, that's not what it's doing. I changed the plugs a few days ago and this morning I checked each coil with a plug and wire letting it spark on top of the motor and I did notice one that looked a little weaker then the rest so I went ahead and changed it and it still stutters as I accelerate
Old 11-10-2023 | 12:51 PM
TECH Addict
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Tommy42088
it's throwing a tps code and a maf code but it on speed density so the maf is understandable and I've put a meter on the tps and the voltage and ground reads good and from my understanding a bad tps causes surges, that's not what it's doing. I changed the plugs a few days ago and this morning I checked each coil with a plug and wire letting it spark on top of the motor and I did notice one that looked a little weaker then the rest so I went ahead and changed it and it still stutters as I accelerate
Did you do a sweep test though?
You can set the meter up on ohms and sweep the throttle and find any dead spots, might be worth a try.
Old 11-10-2023 | 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you do a sweep test though?
You can set the meter up on ohms and sweep the throttle and find any dead spots, might be worth a try.
yes I did, there's no dead spots. The tps light actually went off. I just pulled the codes again and it's only pulling the maf now. Before I changed the coil it was throwing tps but it went off. Still stuttering with acceleration tho
Old 11-10-2023 | 03:03 PM
TECH Addict
LS1Tech 10 Year

yes I did, there's no dead spots. The tps light actually went off. I just pulled the codes again and it's only pulling the maf now. Before I changed the coil it was throwing tps but it went off. Still stuttering with acceleration tho
I wanna say if its still pulling MAF codes then your tuner set up the tune wrong.
My car is speed density too and I don't get any MAF codes, if you're getting codes the ECU may still be looking for it.
I know Pat went in and turned a bunch of stuff off so the ECU wouldn't be looking for the MAF and a bunch of other stuff I've pulled out of the car.
Old 11-10-2023 | 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wanna say if its still pulling MAF codes then your tuner set up the tune wrong.
My car is speed density too and I don't get any MAF codes, if you're getting codes the ECU may still be looking for it.
I know Pat went in and turned a bunch of stuff off so the ECU wouldn't be looking for the MAF and a bunch of other stuff I've pulled out of the car.
yeh I think it's tune related too, I've read a bunch of stuff on hp tuners as well and it says the fic injectors are pretty tricky to get dialed in as wellAsa bunch of people with the same issues and they all ended up being tune related. Ive got another tuner besides the one who originally did the tune looking at it tomorrow and hes a pretty hard core street racer out this way and he says he can get it figured out, spark is good, fuel pressure is good, injectors are pulsing as they should and jusy 1 code which is the maf so its gotta be tune related. I dont see where it could be anything else, ive exhausted all my options other then that, ive turned wrenches on this thing every single day for the past few weeks trying to make sure everything was right
Old 11-11-2023 | 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

no, sorry, on the contrary, if you are sd and are not getting p0101/2 on every start up you have not "failed the maf" properly in the tune.

the only further idea i can come up with, is that you find somebody who has an oscilloscope and is good (!) at it and have your ignition and injection analysed. you can see a lot of stuff on the graphs. i mean, before you kill something on the engine.
Old 11-11-2023 | 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dian
no, sorry, on the contrary, if you are sd and are not getting p0101/2 on every start up you have not "failed the maf" properly in the tune.

the only further idea i can come up with, is that you find somebody who has an oscilloscope and is good (!) at it and have your ignition and injection analysed. you can see a lot of stuff on the graphs. i mean, before you kill something on the engine.
any time I've plugged in the scan tool it pulls po103, and I dropped it off this morning to the new tuner. Hopefully he can figure it out. I feel like it's something to do with the injectors. I've read alot of articles on people with fic injectors having trouble tuning them and getting hesitation just like I'm getting
Old 11-11-2023 | 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fic says the high side pressure needs to be below 2600 and to raise the high & low current tables. I gave this information to the tuner. He seems confident he can figure it out and he had 6 other turbo trucks at his place and a fox body mustang with a turbo 6 liter as his personal toy so it looks like he can figure it out.
Old 11-13-2023 | 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

current: you could burn the coils, no idea how/if their temperature protection works.

what is the "high side pressure" you mention?

Last edited by Dian; 11-29-2023 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2023 | 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dian
current: you couldn burn the coils, no idea how/if their temperature protection workt.

what is the "high side pressure" you mention?
the coils seem to be working fine, there's plenty room now and something in the tune apparently. I'm not familiar with tuning but apparently thats one of the perimeters set in the tune?
Old 11-13-2023 | 06:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,307 Posts

We have no idea the timing and AFR when accelerating correct?
Old 11-13-2023 | 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
We have no idea the timing and AFR when accelerating correct?
timing I'm not sure but afr is 17ish at idle, around 14 when driving and about 11ish if you get on the gas a little
Old 11-13-2023 | 09:15 AM
7 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Received 335 Likes on 225 Posts

Fic says the high side pressure needs to be below 2600 and to raise the high & low current tables. I gave this information to the tuner. He seems confident he can figure it out and he had 6 other turbo trucks at his place and a fox body mustang with a turbo 6 liter as his personal toy so it looks like he can figure it out.
LOL wut? I thought this was about an LS setup not a LTx DI setup?
Old 11-13-2023 | 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,307 Posts

timing I'm not sure but afr is 17ish at idle, around 14 when driving and about 11ish if you get on the gas a little
That screams exhaust leak or something if your idle AFR is 17.

Quick Reply: Projected horsepower