Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Projected horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
Turbo Guard Maxx is the one I use for the track or when street racing.
I run a really large AFE filter the rest of the time which honestly doesn't seem to make much of a difference in seat of the pants performance.
Turbo-Guard | Turbo & Supercharger Mesh Screen Filters (turboguard.com)
I don't see how that's any different from what I made, worse case scenario would be getting mesh with bigger holes. Its still is the same concept tho.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 530 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy42088
I don't see how that's any different from what I made, worse case scenario would be getting mesh with bigger holes. Its still is the same concept tho.
The one with the smaller mesh screen is no different, the one with the larger holes doesn't create nearly as much of a restriction, the small mesh screen restricts the flow into the turbo and I've heard this from several people.
You could just run a small generic filter when running around on the street and pull it off when needed and use the larger screen or nothing at all.
Your turbo is mounted up high so the likely hood of sucking in a rock or something is very unlikely but there is a lot of light dust and dirt you can pull in that will wear things out faster.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

The one with the smaller mesh screen is no different, the one with the larger holes doesn't create nearly as much of a restriction, the small mesh screen restricts the flow into the turbo and I've heard this from several people.
You could just run a small generic filter when running around on the street and pull it off when needed and use the larger screen or nothing at all.
Your turbo is mounted up high so the likely hood of sucking in a rock or something is very unlikely but there is a lot of light dust and dirt you can pull in that will wear things out faster.
10-4 i got ya, i think ill just get a small filter then and I'll test both on the dyno just to actually test the theory myself.
The following users liked this post:
The BallSS (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

With you mesh filter, you need to know how much is OPEN AREA. The blower guard branded ones tote 79% open area. your mesh guard looks to be less than 50% open area.

Put your lips up to it and blow and you will feel the restriction everyone is mentioning.
The BallSS (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The screen you are using looks like typical window screening. It's considered to be about a 50% restriction when ventilating a building- same does for an engine. I think there's a few guys have posted dyno results with and without screen , maybe you tube. Definitely in for your results and too bad you didn't try the old set up without it. I agree that with your turbo placement the screen isn't doing much , all fine dirt/ dust is getting in and there's little chance of anything bigger getting in there without the screen
The BallSS (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 530 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCGreg
The screen you are using looks like typical window screening. It's considered to be about a 50% restriction when ventilating a building- same does for an engine. I think there's a few guys have posted dyno results with and without screen , maybe you tube. Definitely in for your results and too bad you didn't try the old set up without it. I agree that with your turbo placement the screen isn't doing much , all fine dirt/ dust is getting in and there's little chance of anything bigger getting in there without the screen
I'm only running the guard because I don't want it sucking in a hose or wiring because I'm that guy lol.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

The original turbo came with a honey comb looking air filter that was a mesh like material but it had a foam padding under the screen. I probably could put that back on and just remove the foam ?
Old 02-13-2024, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

This is what it came with
Old 02-13-2024, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm only running the guard because I don't want it sucking in a hose or wiring because I'm that guy lol.
I agree , gotta have something on there especially anything that's going to get some miles on it. OP how does that dome shaped guard mount on the inlet ? Without the foam it would probably work well but still not a filter. Will it fit the new turbo? I'm sure you could make a 4" long cyl out of your mesh material with a mesh end cap that would give you roughly 5× the area . Could use thin stainless wire or mig wire to "sew" it together . Never done this but think it wouldn't be too hard. Clamp onto inlet just like the flat screen
Old 02-13-2024, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

I agree , gotta have something on there especially anything that's going to get some miles on it. OP how does that dome shaped guard mount on the inlet ? Without the foam it would probably work well but still not a filter. Will it fit the new turbo? I'm sure you could make a 4" long cyl out of your mesh material with a mesh end cap that would give you roughly 5× the area . Could use thin stainless wire or mig wire to "sew" it together . Never done this but think it wouldn't be too hard. Clamp onto inlet just like the flat screen
the filter that it came with clamps on just like the turbo guards. It has the rubber ring with a hose clamp and yes it fits the new turbo. Its just ugly thats why i took it off. Im not comprehending the concept your trying to explain. I have plenty thin chicken wire tho as I'm a site manager for an industrial company that does scaffold, paint, & insulation so I can get my hands on plenty wire.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never worried about ugly Lol, function first ! Anyway I'll try and throw something together and take a picture, busy day tomorrow so might be another day
Old 02-13-2024, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

I've never worried about ugly Lol, function first ! Anyway I'll try and throw something together and take a picture, busy day tomorrow so might be another day
yeh I've kind of been the same way, it just kind of had that ricer look to me and I Definitely didn't want that, lol and thanks man I'll definitely check it out
Old 02-24-2024, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Excuse the faded fender, it is a 24 year old truck. I haven't changed the screen yet either. I think I can fit one of the small spectre tapered filters. What do you guys think about those?
Old 02-24-2024, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Something like this?
Old 02-24-2024, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 360 Likes on 247 Posts

Something like this?
Looks a little restrictive at that power level. I'd find something taller.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 68Formula
Looks a little restrictive at that power level. I'd find something taller.
I only have 5 inches of clearance, taller isn't an option. I think ill just dyno it with and without the mesh like I had previously talked about and see if it truly makes a difference.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I only have 5 inches of clearance, taller isn't an option. I think I’ll just dyno it with and without the mesh like I had previously talked about and see if it truly makes a difference.

You should check out Devin vanderhoofs mustang on YouTube. His fabricator built him an adapter that lets him slide a flat K&N filter in front of the turbos. He competes in drag and drive events and they’re low mounted so it’s necessary. No clue how they flow vs the little specter cone ones…
Old 02-25-2024, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Home made turbo guard, so i had that tappered screen filter that came with the cx racing turbo and i pulled the screen off of it and shaped it around the flange on the turbo and the took an old 102mm hose i had and cut a 1 inch strip to go over it and then put a 102mm hose clamp on top on it and bam i think im good to go
Old 02-25-2024, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That'll work zand not cause a restriction, sorry I didn't get around to showing you my idea cause I'm moving and scrambling to sell this place - came up fast. Would be great to see the different screens/ filters dyno tested we will understand if you don't want to waste dyno time and money to do it
Old 02-25-2024, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

That'll work zand not cause a restriction, sorry I didn't get around to showing you my idea cause I'm moving and scrambling to sell this place - came up fast. Would be great to see the different screens/ filters dyno tested we will understand if you don't want to waste dyno time and money to do it
I'll see how my tuner feels about it when i get the new transmission in, it should be finished in the next few days so it shouldn't be long and my tuner has a dyno at his house so I don't think he will make a big deal over me trying the difference. He's a real laid back guy so I think I can make it happen and it's all good man, we all have a life so I definitely understand.

Quick Reply: Projected horsepower