Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics of LS1 F-Body with roots style blower mounted

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
That might be a misleading stat....Again I don't know many statistics, but what came 1st, the S-trim or the procharger

The #s could be skewed significantly if S-trim came out months before because everyone jumped on it when it came out, then when procharger enter the picture they picked up the remaining customers. Also playing a factor would be the financial situations of the purchasers. If you can't afford an IC your not getting an IC and will end up going with the non-IC.....I for one would rather wait a few extra months until I could afford what I really want as opposed to settling.

It would be nice to see if we could get a scientist in here who cn lay down all the facts
no misleading facts.... just THE fact.. didnt say they started on the same date... but most of vortechs blowers are not offered with an IC cuz they dont need one... unfortunately, marketing is HUGE and once someone says something (the net again), everyone jumps on the bandwagon..

if we were talking about 2000hp, i would say yes to an IC... but for that setup, i dont believe one is needed
Old 11-17-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

S-trim's were released 1996-ish, procharger has been making non intercooled kits since the early 90's, and Vortech had their A-trim (small blower) and B-trim (model that was replaced by S-trim) out for a while.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 500 rwhp is kinda low for a heads/cam motor. Unless it was at wick low boost, like 6 psi.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wink

Originally Posted by 8seclt1
no misleading facts.... just THE fact.. didnt say they started on the same date... but most of vortechs blowers are not offered with an IC cuz they dont need one... unfortunately, marketing is HUGE and once someone says something (the net again), everyone jumps on the bandwagon..

if we were talking about 2000hp, i would say yes to an IC... but for that setup, i dont believe one is needed
It's funny you say that, seeing how those blowers at 500 rwhp with IC's on the 03-04 cobras are still blowing hot air....... Centrifugal blowers don't create even half as much heat as a roots style blower.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

What is the major advantage to using the roots style vs. a centrifugal like the D1SC? I wouldn't want to start cutting up the Hawk, for any amount of power.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by taJon
What is the major advantage to using the roots style vs. a centrifugal like the D1SC? I wouldn't want to start cutting up the Hawk, for any amount of power.
from what I heard roots type blowers provide instant boost, as opposed to a centrifugal where you have to build it up
Old 11-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

A Roots blower is less efficient than a centrifugal or a twin-screw, so for any given level of boost, more heat will be generated. At low boost levels, this isn't much of a problem. The advantages of the Roots-type blower are its relatively low cost and off-idle boost. An intercooler will reduce the intake air temperatures and reduce the chance of knock in a higher boost application.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

ok,
when is this supposed to be available? And is there an approximate cost on the unit? Itd be a nice feature on a street car as already stated, but if the cost is more than 4k or so I dont see it taking off that much

just wondering
thanks
ed
firebird455@onebox.com
Old 11-17-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet it costs more than the Procharger Kit
Old 11-17-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The roots is a good alternative, but to be competative with the centrifugals you'll need a twin screw blower.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/239970-twin-screw-blower-way-ls1.html

If it happens to fit on an F-body I would actually consider it.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMySSo1
I think 500 rwhp is kinda low for a heads/cam motor. Unless it was at wick low boost, like 6 psi.
Its not the engine setup restricting the power. Its the size of the blower, or the design of the blower manifold. They will pretty much top out at 530-540 rwhp no matter what engine is underneath them.

Thats the negative to roots blowers, they have their power limits, just like anything else.

I've driven centrifugals and roots cars, the roots cars are MUCH more responsive and fun to drive. Of course, if I were building an all-out supercharged drag racer I'd go with a large centrifugal. You can gear or converter the car to miss the lower rpm altogether in a race car.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Restricted User

John, seems to have been lost in the sauce, but thanks for the pics man. Now we see what its looking like, and the IC will be the production line (barring debate of which is better and why in Everyones HO) next major question is price.

Thanks

Charlie
Old 11-18-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this kit looks badass. For the power and if the price is right I would definitly cut my cowl and hood.

Could someone explain the difference between roots, whipple, and twin-screw blowers... Which is the best, worst, cheapest, most reliable, most power, etc... Thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

really quickly
roots is the cheapest
whipple is twin screw which is most expensive and can produce the most power
Generally more power = best, but it comes with a higher price tag
most reliable is probably equal
Old 11-18-2004, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Cat3, exactly.

I anticipate another round of pictures in the near future, and an official debut of the product.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Restricted User

With all the **** about T Tops being same as Verts in NHRA then not, and now in IHRA kind of makes me rethink this route.
If the max power of this particular setup is say 525rwhp, then you add some spray is going to gain like most FI does, or will it simply heat up more than make more power...kind of like point of no return? That would be an easy option since I have a bottle baby as is.
Either way, waiting for the financial word on this and then its decision time. Thanks again John.

Charlie
Old 11-18-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

BTW I believe an IC on this type of blower adds about 1"-1.5"
I think thats where the modified motor mounts will come into play as spoken of in the other post.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

2002, I am not sure, unless they are going with a different blower unit.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like there is a lot of negative feedback from people that are pro-centrifugal/turbo/etc, but there are a lot of us out there whose cars don't regularly see 5000+ RPMs. We do in town cruising around, and it would be nice to have power starting at 2K RPMs instead of much higher...you know, where we could actually use it.

I think there is a market for it, especially with F-bods (there are tons of them out there)...a good marketing agent could stand to make this company a ton of $$$.

Now, for a technical question...in my eyes, a nice little shot of nitrous would be plenty to cool down the intake charge. Is the 530-540 rwhp limit just the blower alone? If you built the engine to hold up to a nice shot of the giggle AND the blower, you could even turn some great track times if you so desired, and have a really fun car to drive on the street. No bracket issues, no finding ways to plumb a FMIC, no finding ways to stuff turbos into places they just weren't designed to fit, just a clean install and a good finished product.

Steve
Old 11-18-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the pics, John. I would gladly cut a little for this set-up. I agree with Steve, my car is DD and i want the power down low where i can use it. This is good news, as i'm still on the fence on h/c or a STS turbo.

Quick Reply: Pics of LS1 F-Body with roots style blower mounted