Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twins vs. single turbo....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Twins vs. single turbo....

Why do some perferr twin turbos instead of a single? I plan on doing a nice single (T76) setup this year (hopefully) and was curious. It would have been done by now if the bottom didnt fall out of my job
Old 02-18-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because we like to burn huge piles of money.

I would recomend staying single.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

With the turbo technology nowadays a properly sized single can fullfill any hp need you are wanting. Also a single kit weighs less, less parts to go wrong, less $$$...etc

Jose
Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
With the turbo technology nowadays a properly sized single can fullfill any hp need you are wanting. Also a single kit weighs less, less parts to go wrong, less $$$...etc

Jose

Thats why Im curious as to why some still perfer twins
Old 02-18-2005, 08:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It has more (leg ing) power ....hehe
Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Fullthrottledan1

I went twins because i wanted a twin turbo truck. 2 turbos , twice the cash. but the saying, "my truck has twin turbos", is something i like saying. Not that i woudnt be happy with a single.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

I have twins, They actually cost no more then a single. When you consider one "big" single is about the same price as two small twins. As far as the plumbing goes, there is more cold side plumbing, but less hot side plumbing. Tubing is also half the size with twins so it comes out to about the same cost.
Some have said the twins can be more efficient due to the fact they are mounted very close to the hottest part of the exhaust directly by the heads and that a single with a crossover can lose velocity. Singles have become very popular due to the fact they it most classes only allowa (1) power adder. It is also easier to rig up some plumbing for a single. Probably the biggest advantage of a twin setup is the visual appeal and saying Twin's. Take what you read and you be the judge. I am doing three twin turbo cars right now just to give an idea of how popular they are here in Wisconsin!
Old 02-18-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carl, i think it has a LOT ot do with the transmission setup. if you are gonna run an automatic with an exact stall speed and shift extension you can pinpoint, then the biggest single is the best option. big stall autos dont worry about "area under teh curve" as much. esp of no concern is low end power or even to a lesser degree midrange torque.

if as i suspect, you want to run a 6 speed, that mid range torque is really important, esp after the shift and your rpms drop fast and you loose boost/torque. twins will provide that more instant power/torque. but you have all that extra piping, lack of space, and cost.

overall, i doubt you want a true track car but i still think a big single is gonna be awesome. esp if i am right in that you would be running from a roll where spool time and midrange hit isnt as much of an issue?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:04 PM
NKAWTG...N

Unless your going for a full on race set up I can really see no reason for getting a twin over a single on a street application. Your just paying for the extra turbo, which IMHO can be made up for with a slightly larger single turbo. Not worth the $$ in a street setup for the extra turbo.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
I have twins, I am doing three twin turbo cars right now just to give an idea of how popular they are here in Wisconsin!

don't forget about Ill Nitro!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
don't forget about Ill Nitro!
Twins OFTEN spool quicker than a large single. This is probably even more so the bigger the single turbo you run. With many street sized turbos , up to about a T76, it may not be as big a difference though. A small block of about 350 cubic inches can probably make FULL boost with a T76 at somewhere in the mid to low 3000 rpm range. And of couse sooner with a smaller turbo and or exhaust housing. So if you are looking for about 1050hp or less (T76= about 1000 -1100 hp) , a single T76 or smaller can "spool" pretty quick, so the spool difference MAY NOT be AS drastic between singles and twins until you get bigger than this.

I saw on another board where a person had a ball bearing T76 with a 383 lt1. The car mad I think 5 pounds of boost at something like 2800rpm and had over 500 lbs at the wheels at about the same rpm! I think that was NOT even full throttle. That is enought low rpm boost and power to where you would just burn even 315 tires. If I recall , that was only at a small throttle percentage.(I think he had throttle % data on his FAST to tell what throttle percent it was). Even smaller 302-306 mustangs can spool something like a T76 pretty well.

If you want to go bigger than that to something like a T88.... If it is a smaller cube , stickshift street car, twins may be more responsive , but then you are talking about the 1250 -1300+ fwhp hp level before you NEED a T88. Both single or twins will make the power. As far as size , some cars are set up to where it would be easier to fit a single because you have room in a certain space to fit it, but not enough room in other places to fit 2. Other cars (even on the same type of car sometimes) may have room for two smaller T66's,but not enough room for one big T91, depending on your underhood space and how you have things spaced , relocated, what K member , accesories etc.

Also some people just like to say I have twins , or have 2 sitting there when you pop the hood. Although a huge 101mm turbo is starting to have that same "eye" appeal to SOME lately.

Last edited by Rpm2800; 02-18-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Thats why Im curious as to why some still perfer twins
I think it all boils down to feeling unsure of one's self. Seriously. One guy is gonna be envious when the other guy says he has "Twin Turbos". When really his setup is just fine and more efficient.

I just happened to end up with twins because an opportunity presented itself and I didn't have to worry about installing it either. I was originally going to go with a larger single turbo, but PTK and HP have been sitting on their asses and I dont want to tear my car down in mid summer to redo it. So they will have to wait till I outgrow this one.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

It's all about the bling
Old 02-19-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know whats funny. Alot of guys that have twin turbos from the factory like supra's and RX7's change over to single turbo. Here we are with no turbos from the factory and we want twins. I thought about scraping the single for the twin but I think I'll stick to the single because I have everything mapped out pretty good.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

it's also about the lack of space. i will have my turbos set in about the same position as Harlin did. the routing of the hot side is much easier with a pair of 3" pipes than with one 5" pipe. i am going with twins for just this reason, the routing. i was looking at a large frame T88 or possibly a 91mm, and after some research and help from a friend, deciced to go with twins. not to mention, i'm sorta copying my motor after this guys.... http://www.montygwilliams.com/, because it is a proven setup and made 1200hp on pump gas. and who knows what it would have made on 110! so, that's where i'm at and why i have decided to go the twin route.

later,
Dave
Old 02-19-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Um, Pray Hard. You will have 2" cold side plumbing, smaller yet. That will easily support 1300+ hp on your motor with the same turbos I have.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Um, Pray Hard. You will have 2" cold side plumbing, smaller yet. That will easily support 1300+ hp on your motor with the same turbos I have.

but i mentioned the hot side. isn't that 3" for the 60-1's? if that's what i ultimately end up going with. we haven't fully discussed this yet, so i was kinda guessing.

thanks,
Dave
Old 02-20-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
carl, i think it has a LOT ot do with the transmission setup. if you are gonna run an automatic with an exact stall speed and shift extension you can pinpoint, then the biggest single is the best option. big stall autos dont worry about "area under teh curve" as much. esp of no concern is low end power or even to a lesser degree midrange torque.

if as i suspect, you want to run a 6 speed, that mid range torque is really important, esp after the shift and your rpms drop fast and you loose boost/torque. twins will provide that more instant power/torque. but you have all that extra piping, lack of space, and cost.

overall, i doubt you want a true track car but i still think a big single is gonna be awesome. esp if i am right in that you would be running from a roll where spool time and midrange hit isnt as much of an issue?
Yeah, Im staying a 6 speed. I like it too much Youre also right about a STREET car. Itll probably see the track once a year. I like going, but Im setup for the street being lowered, 18s, stiff shocks, etc...

Roll... dig... its all good
Old 02-21-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

you know at first i though it didnt matter wether you run a twin or single,
i thought twins would spool faster, but my T76 got to 10psi quick
then i though just what you could route easier. well, then i discovered you can route a single easier. I think you could route one 4" downpipe easier then two 2.5" downpipes. while the 4" has more area, 50.3 CI compared to (2*19.6) 39.3 CI
then a few pricing checks, if you want ALOT of power a single will be cheaper.
Then i looked at the big dogs who were running some real wicked fast times, those guys have singles.
and also alot of race classes, dont alow twins

so i concluded that a single is better then a twin.
but you will always have those people who just like the name twin turbo, but i think its the same thing as saying you have twin NOS, ok so you have twin nos, sure its ok but not needed just a bling factor.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ill be getting twin turbos cause...well...ive never seen a single turbo for a vette.

Quick Reply: Twins vs. single turbo....