Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TA w/ FMIC = !Fog Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TA w/ FMIC = !Fog Lights?

Has anybody been able to mount a FMIC AND been able to retain and use their fog lights (On a Trans Am)?

Just curious...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

seems to me youd have to have some way to get the air in there.. this is how my car is..

Old 06-23-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im sure that it is easily possible but you would be seriously cutting down on the amt of air you are gettin to the intercooler. As you can see from LETZ RUN's pic there is plenty of room between the front of the bumper to wher the intercoolers is mounted. Hope this helps man GL

John
Old 06-23-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes a number of people have done it.

just takes some time and some inginuity.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I retained mine. I did have to fabricate new brackets. They also are not set as deep in the holes. You would have to look close to notice it.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool! Thanks for the fast responses, guys. The pic is great, too. I know I need some air to get in there. I've been planning on having the license plate cover open for that with the mounting holes still intact on the bottom strip, or a similar rig, so I can put the cover back on when I'm not driving the car... But I always wondered if I had to give up my fog lights in addition to the font license plate cover.

I guess there's a way! I love the look of the Trans Am front end and I'd hate to have to give it up for the FMIC. This way, when the front cover is on, the original look is not compromised. Of course, when driving, the cover will be off.

Thanks again, guys!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
I retained mine. I did have to fabricate new brackets. They also are not set as deep in the holes. You would have to look close to notice it.
Were these brackets hard to set-up? Meaning, when I take my car to my installer, is this something I can ask him to do that he can do? Or was this something that was an extreme PITA (Something you would feel like patenting after figuring it out!) that my installer and I might not be able to figure out?

Would you mind divulging the gist of it without going into much detail to set me in the right path? Thanks in advance. I really was beginning to think that all FMIC's on TA's gave up their fog lights... I'm glad to see there's a way.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

I think I spent as much time screwing with the fog lights as I did with the rest of the install. It was difficult to get them centered and I kept taking the nose off & on. The brackets had to be strong enough so that the lights wouldn't shake. Everybody has their own way of modding their cars and mine is to give up no options or comfort.

P.S., I love that Maple red color. Too bad they didn't do the WS6 with it. Ever thought of putting a Ram Air hood on it? I think it would look bad ***.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I spent as much time screwing with the fog lights as I did with the rest of the install. It was difficult to get them centered and I kept taking the nose off & on. The brackets had to be strong enough so that the lights wouldn't shake. Everybody has their own way of modding their cars and mine is to give up no options or comfort.

P.S., I love that Maple red color. Too bad they didn't do the WS6 with it. Ever thought of putting a Ram Air hood on it? I think it would look bad ***.
Thanks again, man.

Brackets gotta be strong, centering will be the biotch, I can see this won't be easy!

Yeah, my philosophy when it comes to modding is the same, no compromise if the possibility to retain even remotely exists. If my car was a coupe and/or I raced it all the time, I may feel differently. My car is really pristine, clean, if I'm permitted to jock my car for the sake of my point, and is a convertible. My car is never gonna do a wheelie. I only do the ocassional speeding on the highway and that's it. I would HATE to have fog light holes with... No fog lights.

Nothing against the WS6 hood, and this makes some people upset, but I'd never put one on, even if I got it for free. I'm all for people buying parts to make their cars unique, but I feel that a part that makes a car look like another car/version (A WS6 hood came on a... WS6) takes away from the car's identity. My car's not a WS6, so it shouldn't look like one. What makes my TA so rare is that it's not a WS6. I feel I would be betraying its exclusivity otherwise. To me, it's like someone having a rare WS6 (Like the 2002 WS6's that came with Camel leather interior w/ M6. 14 total units built, I think... ), and then installing a regular Trans Am hood. That's just my own wierd opinion. Anyway, thanks for the appreciated compliment. I took the liberty of clicking on your link to see your clean, tasteful Trans Am 'Vert. Total eye candy, bro. Something about Triple Black w/ Chrome accents that's a successful mix of both evil and elegance...
Old 06-24-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Thanks again, man.

Brackets gotta be strong, centering will be the biotch, I can see this won't be easy!

Yeah, my philosophy when it comes to modding is the same, no compromise if the possibility to retain even remotely exists. If my car was a coupe and/or I raced it all the time, I may feel differently. My car is really pristine, clean, if I'm permitted to jock my car for the sake of my point, and is a convertible. My car is never gonna do a wheelie. I only do the ocassional speeding on the highway and that's it. I would HATE to have fog light holes with... No fog lights.

Nothing against the WS6 hood, and this makes some people upset, but I'd never put one on, even if I got it for free. I'm all for people buying parts to make their cars unique, but I feel that a part that makes a car look like another car/version (A WS6 hood came on a... WS6) takes away from the car's identity. My car's not a WS6, so it shouldn't look like one. What makes my TA so rare is that it's not a WS6. I feel I would be betraying its exclusivity otherwise. To me, it's like someone having a rare WS6 (Like the 2002 WS6's that came with Camel leather interior w/ M6. 14 total units built, I think... ), and then installing a regular Trans Am hood. That's just my own wierd opinion. Anyway, thanks for the appreciated compliment. I took the liberty of clicking on your link to see your clean, tasteful Trans Am 'Vert. Total eye candy, bro. Something about Triple Black w/ Chrome accents that's a successful mix of both evil and elegance...
Well said. You got any pictures of your car. I think the PTK looks like a top shelf turbo kit + you retain the A.C.. I gotta figure out what I'm going to cover the FMIC hole with. I was hoping to find some chrome honeycomb metal that would match the nostril grills (something like a Denali grill). Until I find something I like I'm just leaving it open.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Well said. You got any pictures of your car. I think the PTK looks like a top shelf turbo kit + you retain the A.C.. I gotta figure out what I'm going to cover the FMIC hole with. I was hoping to find some chrome honeycomb metal that would match the nostril grills (something like a Denali grill). Until I find something I like I'm just leaving it open.
Hey if you find something post a pic if you can and let us now were you got it.I'm looking for something to go in the front that looks badaXX too.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Hope this helps...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=631954&page=8

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/906224-intercooler-install.html
Old 07-11-2008, 08:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We sell a bumper support kit that may do what you want. It has the light brackets built in. There is plenty of room for an intercooler as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like the look with out them
Old 07-11-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back from the dead lol

John
Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Holy old thread batman!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

wow, had to do a double-take but i was like AL dont you already have an intercooler AND foglights? wtf?!?!?! lol yea this thread is prehistoric lol
Old 07-13-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

lol, yeah that wouldn't make any sense if I was asking for what I already have!

Quick Reply: TA w/ FMIC = !Fog Lights?