Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: What would you pay for a 100% complete kit, thats it.
$5,000
28.36%
$6000
37.31%
$7000
16.42%
$8000-10,000
17.91%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: TT kit for the F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: TT kit for the F-Body

What would you pay for a top quality kit just like the Incon stuff, WITH TURBO UPGRADES AVAILABLE AT EXTRA COST.

Serious poll by the way

Last edited by Quickin; 12-22-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

I would think that if people are willing to spend, like me, upwards of $15,000 for a normally aspirated stroker engine, they would certainly pay $10,000 + the cost to install proper pistons for another $2,000-$2,500, $2,000 for the turbo install and tune and have a monster TT car for less money.

And I personally don't think the value of the F-Body has anything to do with, most of us love our cars and plan to keep them for a long *** time. Mine is going on 8 years old and I'm still planning to drop a shitload into it.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be enough of a market willing to pay $8-10K for a TT kit. Something like the TTi Stage X kit (for the Corvette) that was made for the F-Body would be killer. Cast manifolds, BB turbos, no scav pumps, etc.

Mark
Old 12-22-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

$5k isn't likely to happen. Take a good hard look at ALL the components of a nice, well built TT kit. Add up the cost for every single piece and you'll see everything adds up to around $5k without including the labor to construct the kit! I don't think people realize how much all those V-bands, silicone couplers, etc. add up to.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Joel@

Originally Posted by Wet 1
$5k isn't likely to happen. Take a good hard look at ALL the components of a nice, well built TT kit. Add up the cost for every single piece and you'll see everything adds up to around $5k without including the labor to construct the kit! I don't think people realize how much all those V-bands, silicone couplers, etc. add up to.
Your telling me....A good quality 90deg coupler is over $45.00

Old 12-22-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I voted $6k (for a 550-600RWHP street kit)

If it's a big company, they will have the funds to build the kit upfront and then if they MARKET them correctly they would sell a ton. Most people are brand loyal by nature.

I'm very surprised that some of the BIG sponsors on this board don't just take the time and build a very good affordable single and/or twin turbo kit for the masses. We all know who they are and they have very deep pockets...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

some of the big sponsors should. ive been looking at FI setups, but have turned away from a few b/c i have brand loyalty. if say TSP or Thunder or someone else had a nice TT or single turbo setup i would get it in a heartbeat.

let me be the first with a TSP TT street kit
Old 12-22-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya how many companies went under here trying to make a cheap turbo kit.
remember those?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Cheap turbo kit.

Military Intelligence

Secondary Virginity...

Even just the hot components will be spendy and that is'nt including wastegates in the case of a ext gate setup.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
ya how many companies went under here trying to make a cheap turbo kit.
remember those?
I remember very well, but they also didn't have any money to get it off the gound and expected people to pay up front first to help pay for the R&D.

For example: A big company like MTI that has deep pockets and has brand loyalty could easily "afford" to do the R&D of an awesome & affordable single and/or TT kit. Even if they ended up not selling that many kits, that alone would not put them under like it has the other people in the past.

So basically, people/companies that don't have a lot of R&D money eventually fail and the people/companies that do have the money don't even bother, makes perfect sense to me.

If you build it they will come.... ...........but, you have to ADVERTISE it to sell well. (Magazines, Car TV shows, Car Events)
Old 12-22-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Do you guys not realize a return needs to be made for R&D work as well as for recouping large initial capital expenditures?

There's a reason so many turbo kit manufactures come and go... Nobody is going to make any money producing a $5k or $6k TT kit.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

I'm thinking about doing copies of a custom fabed manifold set I am doing..

It may be low overhead (TIG welder, jigs etc) but its high labor and component cost...

I can tell you that at around $1k per turbo, good IC core prices etc nobody can hit that price.....
Old 12-22-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Do you guys not realize a return needs to be made for R&D work as well as for recouping large initial capital expenditures?
Yes, I see it everyday at my job, I build and test cell phone systems for Lucent. The average cell site cost between $100,000-500,000 EACH. How many cell phone contracts do you think Verizon would have to have to make money? A BUNCH to say the least.

There's a reason so many turbo kit manufactures come and go... Nobody is going to make any money producing a $5k or $6k TT kit.
If the right R&D is done and have the manifolds cast in China or another low cost region, that would lower the price of the kit.

It can be done, but the right person or comapany just needs to really think it through first before rushing it to market.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Billiumss,

Off topic.

Shoot me a PM. It sounds like you are testing some of more products. I work at Lucent in Whippany. I may have even talked to you in the past.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Billiumss
If the right R&D is done and have the manifolds cast in China or another low cost region, that would lower the price of the kit.
I've been to China about 30 times this year, for work (747 pilot) and for personal business.

If someone gave me a complete Incon kit, I could bring it there and have it re-produced with the best quality metals for at least half the price of the Incon wholesale price. No question about it. China is more amazing once you've been there and can see first hand what these people can do. I'm going in mid January to visit a factory in The "City of Yiwu" that'll be making our product. Just to give you an idea of the savings: They are being made in Korea right now by a manufacturer for the lowest price to us for $11.00 each USD, manufacturers here in the USA can only offer them at $16.00 each, we're getting them made in China using better material (polycarbonate) and (stainless steel), Koreans and Americans only use (ABS plastic) and (aluminized steel), we're getting them for $2.65 each USD in China. Its very simple why they can make things much cheaper than everyone else, for every unit of a product they sell (at least my product) they get money from the government. In my case they get $4.00 USD each as a subsidy. We're buying 80,000 units in January to start sales here nationwide. Expect to sell 3-5 million by July 2006.

I started this poll for a reason, I'm going to seriously look into this. I'm certain that Incon paid top dollar here in the USA (which = rip off) to the manufacturer for there kits. China is the place!

My gig works out as planned and they'll most likely be a kit in the making.

"The Quickin TT Animal" j/k

Last edited by Quickin; 12-22-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Launching!

One thing anyone looking to copy the incon setup needs to keep in mind is the turbos. This is the one sticking point on the incon setups that makes them so expensive to modify. These are the specs for the Incon turbos (info I have saved on my computer that I grabbed off of forums, not verified. Let me know if it is hard to understand, the formatting got a bit funny looking trying to transfer the info from my word sheet to the forum):

CHRA #446179-0032 GT2535 oil/water True dual ball bearing

Garrett CHRA Part # Model OEM
446179-0032 GT2571RL Ball Bearing

Compressor stg

Model Turbo part # CHRA # HSG-AR Whl trim
GT25R eXb003 446179-0032 0.70 56

Model Whl Dia Comp Flow
GT35 2.09/2.80 44lb

Turbine Stg

Housing A/R Whl trim Whl Dia
0.64 76 1.85/2.1

Incon's terminology was designated as GTBB35 for the turbos using the 446179-32 cartridges. The GTBB37 was the use of the 700177-11 cartridge. There was no correlation at the time between Garrett's numbers. Similar to HKS using their own designations like 3037. While some might think these were just remachined housings, they were not. If you take a T28 turbine housing and an Incon housing you will notice they are not the same thickness as the incon was quite a bit thicker for better placement of the turbine wheel. This positioned the turbo forward over 1/4 inch more than a comparable T28 turbine housing while leaving the exhaust flange in the same location. The compressor cover also was similar to the t04B BUT was built with a slightly different casting and machining of the bolt pattern. I have heard people say that the turbine housing A/R was actually .86, so I am not certain which is actually correct.

Last edited by XJGPN; 12-22-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Just go to a std T3 and use on center housings if you cant fit a tangential housing.

Avoid the whole odd ball turbo thing.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
Just go to a std T3 and use on center housings if you cant fit a tangential housing.

Avoid the whole odd ball turbo thing.
When did they start making on-center T3 housings?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The market is too small to make F-body kit's. Let's say I made an affordable kit that takes me a month or 2 to do.How many people do you really think are going to buy it? Probly 10 top's. That is not worth it and I'll probly lose my house.

Now if you want a kit made,take it to a shop that can custom make it for you.I would figure 10-15k to do it right.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

if someone could just get the damn manifolds cast, and sell them for a resonable price, with a t3 flange it wouldnt be too hard.

if you can get em cast in china CHEAP then hell do it whats the worst that can happen..

Quick Reply: POLL: TT kit for the F-Body