Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

got an idea....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got an idea....

Ppl have been using stock manifolds in custom turbo kits. They usually are pointing foward and down. This is good on the driver side but on the passenger side, this setup will take cause you to delete your AC.

What if, instead of swaping the manifolds from banks and installing them foward... why not just keep them on the same bank and invert them, so that the exhaust side is facing foward but upwards.

Will this upward flowing manifold and piping have enough clearance to keep your AC, for example? My deal is that i want to keep AC since miami is either a freak frying pan when hot, not like arisone hot but hot a humid, you guys from the lakes know what i mean, or its raining, then the sun comes out and heats uop again nasty.

So can this be done? Or just another one of my "ideas"?
Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have seen a classic built with cast manifolds turned upside down and it looked good!

but some guys said that there would't clear the shock towers!

good idea though
Old 06-17-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes i have tried to fit them like that and they wont clear the shock towers, they just wont fit
Old 06-17-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Have you considered keeping the passanger side one on normal and the driver side (another passanger side one) flipped then making a pipe that crosses down under and comes forward along the drivers side?

We did that with a LT1
Old 06-18-2006, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

right, had that in mind....... basically the crossover pipe would cross over under the trans, turn foward towards the turbo mounted in fron of driver side and joined to the driver side to turbo flange.

Can you get this cross over to go over the trans? Dont think so but... anyways, will this long crossover tube cause any ill affects with boost response? What is a possible fix? USe a smaller pipe for the crossover to increase exhaust pressure to turbo, will this help or be more of a restriction?

thanks ya'll!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

2.5 inch pipe is all you need as far as cross over till you get to a merge to the turbo
Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 AM
TECH Addict

We used a 2.5in pipe with no problems on a LT1, boost response was instant with our single T70.

You wont be able to go over the trans if I had to guess, but there should be room someplace down there to cross over if you get under your truck and look at it.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

if its an auto you can just go under by the converter. a t56 would be a little harder
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Junkie

My crossover goes over the trans... But mine doesn't use stock manifolds...
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have any pics of the "one flipped, one normal" setup? That seems pretty cool if done right.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

i had some with the engine out, somewhere but cant find them, but couldnt get any in the car cause they just wont fit, unless a hammer came out or something like that.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Turbo Addict

Still running A/C.....
I've got a stock '98 pass side manifold on my driver side and a stock '01 pass side manifold on my passenger side.
Driver side points down and forward, passenger side is in stock location. All of my piping is above the k-member thanks to the tubular k-member.
I have another set of manifolds that will cut the distance in half that my passenger side has to go do the loop and also allow me to keep my altenator in the stock location....so i think.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Still running A/C.....
I've got a stock '98 pass side manifold on my driver side and a stock '01 pass side manifold on my passenger side.
Driver side points down and forward, passenger side is in stock location. All of my piping is above the k-member thanks to the tubular k-member.
I have another set of manifolds that will cut the distance in half that my passenger side has to go do the loop and also allow me to keep my altenator in the stock location....so i think.
really good idea.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

RICE ETR: nice, you did your own welding or had a shop do that for ya? I haven't welded either but i have a mig welder hanging around. If stainless, i figure i need a tig welder and practice!! You guys think coating the pipes going by the starter/starter solenoid or warping those pipes to avoid any starter/heat issues?

Here's another, how about a PTS kit with a t88 turbo, can that be done? Maybe with an aftermarket radiator mved a bit foward?

How about those twin speedinc kits, those retain A/C?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Man, I don't know about anything with a T-88 keeping A/C... Good question.

With the T-76, the stock radiator does not have to be moved and everything fits fine.

Speed inc has a twin kit now? TTi?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I routed mine in front with a GT42 (pretty big cold side), without moving the rad (it sits where an ATI procharger does). I used edelbrock headers (were on the car when purchased) both installed as if NA, then ran two tubes under the K-Member and up in front of the rad, everything fits ok, and very little ground clearence issues.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Turbo Addict

Thanks Red90cobra

RICE ETR: nice, you did your own welding or had a shop do that for ya? I haven't welded either but i have a mig welder hanging around. If stainless, i figure i need a tig welder and practice!! You guys think coating the pipes going by the starter/starter solenoid or warping those pipes to avoid any starter/heat issues?
Thanks....yes i did my own welding..with a mask that was too dark....those two combined make for horrible welds
I don't think there are any issues with heat and the starter.....i'm still running the original.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

holy crap i was having those EXACT same idea's earlier today!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Still running A/C.....
Can you post pics of your setup for us to see?

Old 06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah me too! i'd like to check it out