Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Oiling Problem!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Oiling Problem!!!!!

ok so i almost finished my custom rear mount setup...i connected everything except the charge pipies... i drilled next to my oil filterfor the feed line which is goin to the turbo (AN -6 i believe)....and i have the return line(AN -4 i believe) coming OUT of the turbo, UP over the Axle THROUGH a MOCAL Oil Pump which i mounted in the tunnel area(pretty high up actually)...and then routed along the chassis to the front of the oil pan..everything has nice russell fittings and braided lines...

SOOOOOOO First startup to check on leaks and the pump etc etc... and the TURBO isnt even moving at idle??!?!?!?!?!?...exhaust side is open to atmosphere as well as the charge side to see whats goin on, so i spin the wheel with my fingers to "jump start it" while the motor's at idle and it goes but verrry slowly...i rev it-it spools fairly quickly..and throws out muddy/oil/water crap...??? i guess humidity+carbon+oil=crap from inside the exhaust pipes

Anyways i keep lookin at the blades/shaft and notice a good amount of oil goin everywhere....im thinkin the MOCAL pump im using is not gravity fed so i disconnected the return line from turbo to oil pump and almost sucked in my dam finger lol IT CAN PUMP an elaphant THROUGH THAT LINE i guess the position of the line is making it back up or pool up and causing it to leak through the seals and out of the blades ....Its kind of obvious but my question is does my return line being over the axle and pointed up traveling UPWARD to the pump the reason why oil is coming out of all the seals on the turbo?? and not flowing well back to the pan????

THIS IS THE PUMP IM USING------
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...pcode=MOCWCP1B

MY OTHER QUESTION is could this be TOO MUCH pump for this application ORRR should i just stop being a dumbass and position the dam thing as level as possible to get the best flow from the setup??? without any leaking or spewing or oil everywhere?? THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS in advance

Last edited by fenix99; 07-11-2006 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Be positive the pump is "pulling from" the turbo... also, me feed line (to turbos) was like -4 and my returns werew like -8. Lastly, just another note... and vertical rises in the oil line in the return side should be just that...vertical... do not allow for long gradual rises in the line.
Keep playing, youll get it figured out.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

my dawg albert wassup man its alex balck ss conv hows the project doing

yeah ive always seen the return line being much bigger then the feed line so maybe thats ur problem lets see wat others advice

Last edited by MiaSSmaro98; 07-11-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

use bigger line out of the turbo and mount the pump lower; right in front of the axle (behind the rear seat). Also, you need some kind of check valve at the turbo for the feed.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Something sounds wierd here.

First of all the turbo should spin free with your fingers and remain spinning for a few seconds if you give it a good spin, it should also spin at idle.

Second your feed should be the -4 and your return the bigger, -6 8 or 10 and your CHRA should be clocked so the feed section is pointing straight up and the return section is pointing down.

With your scavange pump I wouldn't think a -10 line would be necessary.

When you say "rev it-it spools fairly quickly..and throws out muddy/oil/water crap..." where is this coming from? If oil is seaping into the exhaust or compressor housings you have issues.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

trt why will he need a check vavle on the feed?can u post a pic or webpage of the part?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Something sounds wierd here.

First of all the turbo should spin free with your fingers and remain spinning for a few seconds if you give it a good spin, it should also spin at idle.

Second your feed should be the -4 and your return the bigger, -6 8 or 10 and your CHRA should be clocked so the feed section is pointing straight up and the return section is pointing down.

With your scavange pump I wouldn't think a -10 line would be necessary.

When you say "rev it-it spools fairly quickly..and throws out muddy/oil/water crap..." where is this coming from? If oil is seaping into the exhaust or compressor housings you have issues.
-Sorry yea my return line the bigger line of the two i just got my AN# mixed up...and if i spin it with my fingers it spins freely for a few seconds the turbo is brand new....i guess the humidity in the exhaust pipesand the little bit of oil that leaked out caused that crap to come out of the exhaust side of the compressor...but it cleaned out bit the more i revved it. And another problem was that the drain the feed werent vertical i had it sideways due to clearance but i already moved the center housing and that seemed to make it better...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

That will do it, they can be turned up to 30deg but generally straight up and down is best, its also good to cycle your scavange pump after the car has been turned off just to suck anything out you can and keep oil from seaping past the seals.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by trtturbo
use bigger line out of the turbo and mount the pump lower; right in front of the axle (behind the rear seat). Also, you need some kind of check valve at the turbo for the feed.
hey billy ive talked to ALOTTT of people and they say that the check valve u told me i should use is pointless?? the check vavle holds oil when the car is shut off but arent turbos sealed at all times anyways?? whats ur reason for wanting to use the valve?? maybe i wasnt paying attention when i was talkin to u and missed what u said...i know what the valve is supposed to do but dont see any point behind it for this setup...?? thanks every1
Old 07-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Restricted User

That will do it, they can be turned up to 30deg but generally straight up and down is best, its also good to cycle your scavange pump after the car has been turned off just to suck anything out you can and keep oil from seaping past the seals.
okay for cycling the pump. what i did was run it electrically with my Racetronix Fuel Pump...so that when i turn the ignition on (Motor still Off) the fuel pump and oil pump turn on for a few seconds to take out any oil still in the line etc etc....how does that sound to you boostaholic??

i just think my biggest issue right now is how far up the pump is and how much the oil has to travel UP to the friggin pump.... so i guess im goin to have to re-mount the pump somewhere alot lower....
Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

That is wrong, when the car is turned OFF after driving you need to wait a few seconds then cycle the oil pump that way while the car sits oil doesn't seap past the seals.

Also try to avoid parking your car on inclines where the noise is higher than the back of the car, if anything put the back of the car higher to avoid the same problems.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Restricted User

That is wrong, when the car is turned OFF after driving you need to wait a few seconds then cycle the oil pump that way while the car sits oil doesn't seap past the seals.

Also try to avoid parking your car on inclines where the noise is higher than the back of the car, if anything put the back of the car higher to avoid the same problems.
OK...i get what ur saying but that would now mean i would have to open the ignition one more time to cycle the pump after i turn off the car...And yea i park the car level everywhere i go...And u want to cycle the pump after its off cuz it will seap oil past the seals??? arent turbos somewhat sealed even when they're not moving? or do they only seal when the turbo is spinning> expanding the seals??
Old 07-11-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fenix99
OK...i get what ur saying but that would now mean i would have to open the ignition one more time to cycle the pump after i turn off the car...And yea i park the car level everywhere i go...And u want to cycle the pump after its off cuz it will seap oil past the seals??? arent turbos somewhat sealed even when they're not moving? or do they only seal when the turbo is spinning> expanding the seals??
If you plug the drain and fill a turbo with oil it will leak out, the oil needs to drain out normally and with your non-gravity drain you need will leak oil
Old 07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Restricted User

ok so imma go outside and re-mount the pump, cut and re-do the line, and run the line under the axle or wherever gravity ill help it move...pray for me ill post up in an hour or so...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Good deal
Old 07-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Restricted User

ok cool i fixed it...or so it seems...ill post if i have more problems...just took it for a few laps and came back, checked it, no leaks, drove again, checked it and no leaks or oil anywhere so i guess the relocation of everything was what i shoulda done in the first place... THANKS ALOT for the help
Old 07-12-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fenix99
hey billy ive talked to ALOTTT of people and they say that the check valve u told me i should use is pointless?? the check vavle holds oil when the car is shut off but arent turbos sealed at all times anyways?? whats ur reason for wanting to use the valve?? maybe i wasnt paying attention when i was talkin to u and missed what u said...i know what the valve is supposed to do but dont see any point behind it for this setup...?? thanks every1
Feel free to take it off if you want to. With the rear mount, and the turbo sitting where it does and oil feed off the block off plate by the oil filter, you will have an oil problem. When the car is sitting, you will have oil still draining into the turbo. Most of the turbos have what amounts to a piston ring on a shaft, and not a positive seal. So, when you get enough oil in, oil comes out both sides. Also, with the check valve you have oil right at the turbo, so as soon as you turn the engine over, it starts to oil the turbo.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Restricted User

no billy, what i meant with the question was that at first i WASNT using the check valve and me and my friend were wondering why it would help sooooo much...so we jus hooked up all the lines without the check valve and looked at everything to see what was going on....(i start it up and the leaking problem starts)

i turn it off & THEN i relocated the pump and return line to a lower position so that it would be almost level if not lower than the turbo(declining)...that seemed to help alot but was still gettin oil in there when the car was shut off(here's where your check valve idea FINALLY made some sense to me and my friend)...then all i did was buy a few fittings to intercept the braided line and put the check valve a few inches from the turbo on the feed line....NO Leaking whatsoever so far.. im sure some oil gets in there but how much oil can there be in a few inches of line...

obviously me and my friend were eating crap and we were thinking that check valve wouldnt be that helpful but it definitely solved the "problem" i was having..thanks alot, ur the man billy woooooooo
Old 07-12-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn that good to hear u fix the problem were did u buy that check vavle?also trt will i need this for an engine bay turbo?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to check mine out, I was having oil in the charge pipe problems.

Quick Reply: Turbo Oiling Problem!!!!!