Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo oiling idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo oiling idea

Does anybody use an independent oil system dedicated to the turbo? I was thinking that being able to use a more specific oil that isn't exposed to combustion by-products and is at a lower temperature would lead to longer turbo life at least, if not better performance. ATI (Procharger) touts their centrifigal sc systems' independent oiling, noting that you don't have to tap into the engine oil pan. And all roots type sc's have their own oil... why not do this with a turbo?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Actually it would probly be a good idea, might increase the life of the center section even though most should last 80-100k miles.

Only problem i could see would be finding a place for the container with pump to supply the oil for the turbo.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

A couple bads: The motor acts as a big "cooler" for the turbos and helps keep oil temps low. I am not sure a dedicated oil system could even have enough inline coolers to keep the oil at a reasonable temp for long periods.
Secondly, if for any reason the pump fails, a relay trips, or a fuse blows, you INSTANTLY blow the turbos!

Just my .02
Old 08-18-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, the oil serves as a cooling mechanism for the turbo. Centrifugals don't generate as much heat.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking of a belt-driven system actually, but then again, anything that can fail probably will at some point. I see, so there would be too much heat for an oil system independent from the rest of the motor? Even with say, 4 quarts of dedicated oil? Remember, this would allow the use of some pretty fancy oil, possibly better suited for higher heat levels.
Someone else mentioned the PSI becoming an issue. An external crank-driven pump would produce a rather linear rise/fall of pressure similar to the motor's correct? Packaging would be a pain I realize (I'm actually thinking of toying with this in a Buick, a bit easier... shhhh)
Any more opinions?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could run it through the unused trans cooler in your radiator. That would heat it up and burn off condensation, and not let it go too much over engine coolant temperature. Or just make a antifreeze/oil cooler by putting an air/oil cooler in a container that will hold 20 psi and pipe your heater hose through it.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
You could run it through the unused trans cooler in your radiator. That would heat it up and burn off condensation, and not let it go too much over engine coolant temperature. Or just make a antifreeze/oil cooler by putting an air/oil cooler in a container that will hold 20 psi and pipe your heater hose through it.
So, an oil cooler that is cooled by the engine coolant system?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

its doable. How do you think 2 stroke guys run turbos? ive seen a few 2 stroke outboard engines in sandrails with turbochargers on them.

You could run a belt driven pump off of a resevoir. The oil drains out of the turbo into the resevoir then is picked back up by the belt driven pump and pumped through the turbo.. Use a bypass regulator to regulate the pressure for oil as to not overpower the seals in the turbo, pump the oil through a filter and a thermostatically driven oil cooler.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A-man930
So, an oil cooler that is cooled by the engine coolant system?

it is, but it also helps bring the oil up to operating temperature.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ping King
its doable. How do you think 2 stroke guys run turbos? ive seen a few 2 stroke outboard engines in sandrails with turbochargers on them.

You could run a belt driven pump off of a resevoir. The oil drains out of the turbo into the resevoir then is picked back up by the belt driven pump and pumped through the turbo.. Use a bypass regulator to regulate the pressure for oil as to not overpower the seals in the turbo, pump the oil through a filter and a thermostatically driven oil cooler.
You could do a remote resevoir like our ps pumps, and save some space I guess. That is an interesting idea. It has some marked advantages over an elec pump plumbed into the pan, at any rate.

Quick Reply: Turbo oiling idea