Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hardline vs braided stainless pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardline vs braided stainless pros and cons

What is the deal with making your own hardline? Why have I only
ever seen pics of someone using hardline for something other than brakes once (Tiago's red car).

Is there a reason most people run oil to turbos, etc with braided SS with AN fittings? What about 37* double flared?

The nitrous folks do their own hardline occasionally. Why?

I have spent a lot of time searching for HOW to make each method, but never encountered reasons why you would choose one or the other.

Can someone explain?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im using hard line and braided in my fuel system, I like the hard line under the car where ever I can use it,I ran it under my inner fender and to the back of the car. down side is 1/2 inch line is hard to bend so under the rear around the pump I had to use braided and angled fittings, braided is easy to work with thats why most people run that, its also very expensive for bigger stuff, my 12an line was like 55 bucks for 6 foot of it, and the hose ends are 15-30 bucks each for the big guys,

as far as feeding a blower with it its just eaiser to run it, thats what I run to my blower.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried aluminum hardline and had problems with leaks, to the point of almost losing the car to a gas leak. That was 10 years ago and using the right flare tools and Earl's fittings. Never trusted them since. Now I use braided line for everything except brake hardline and the hi-pressure side of my power steering.

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

As posted above, for big fuel systems, 1/2 hard line is very tough to bend/run. I love AN/braided setups. They look baller, they are easy to route, and line/fittings are easy to come by. IMO the hassle is reduced, by a ton... Expensive? I guess, but that's not the part that bothers me. The time saved is the bonus... It's also durable as hell, and easy to repair/replace if ever necessary.

Once you get the hang of building the line/fittings its cake. If you're just starting out, do yourself a favor and buy the aluminum AN tools. Wrenches, vice, and AN fitting vice clamps will get the job done in 1/2 the time.

Hardlined nitrous setups are too small for AN/braided line. On a setup like that, hardline routing is the only way to go. IMO running hardlines on a setup like that is pretty time consuming. But it looks clean as hell when finished...

Different applications call for different needs. Not much more to say I guess?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that makes sense. I was just looking for a point of reference that someone who had no exposure to either method could understand why use one or the other, besides (if anything) personal preference. If there were some unspoken guidelines everyone was using I wanted to know.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

I ran hardline for my oil feed to my turbo's. i used the compression fittings on it and have had no problems what so ever and i personally like the way they look too.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 37* or 45*

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have a followup to this question. I notice AN is 37* and SAE is 45*.
Is 45 good enough to do turbo feeds and so forth, if you use non AN fittings (I guess NPT)?

Or should you use 37* and AN fittings?

You can usually borrow a 45* double flare tool from the Zone or someone, but 37* is hard to come by without forking over a few hundred dollars.

Will 45* work for turbo feeds?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

there is no pros and cons, just a preference. THe hard line **** I use is made by Swagelok, it is used in offshore equipment that the company I work for builds. It is bad *** **** rated for 10,000 psi, so it better never leak

I have ran 1/2" on the fuel system too, here are some pics:

Oil and vaccum/boost distribution with 1/4". 316 stainless. Have 1/2" hardline under the car up to teh engine bay, -8 braided from there.

On this car I have 1/2" stainless hard line in and out of eaech fuel rail and the x over in the back, it still transitions to braided line before going back, engine has to move

I personally much rather work with hard line, its easy to bend, easy to seal, and its reliable. At least the **** I work with is Braided line on the other hand is a real ************ and if I had the choice I would never touch the **** again.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by lo_jack
What is the deal with making your own hardline? Why have I only
ever seen pics of someone using hardline for something other than brakes once (Tiago's red car).

Is there a reason most people run oil to turbos, etc with braided SS with AN fittings? What about 37* double flared?

The nitrous folks do their own hardline occasionally. Why?

I have spent a lot of time searching for HOW to make each method, but never encountered reasons why you would choose one or the other.

Can someone explain?
You have to use Hard line for most of a brake system. If you where to use only steel braided line, the pedal would be real soft. reason the line expands some under pressure. Now you need a to use the Steel Braided line where there is movment or travel.

You can use either or for oil line. The main reason to use Steel braided line for your oil system is ease of installation.

Ricky
Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are definitely advantages to both. I personally don't trust -AN lines all that much. I have had trouble with them fraying and getting caught in accessories in tight compartments of the engine bay since they tend to "dangle" more than a hardline. I've had some friends that have had trouble with them as well. They look awesome though when done right.

Hard lines are very durable and ease my mind.

I think the general rule of thumb is run a hard line as far as you can get away with, then finish with a -AN if needed.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am familiar with swagelok and energy stuff in general - they are sort of industry standard on a lot of things. I take it Tiago you are using 37* then? I think that is what the uber fittings are.

That 1/2" hard line is kind of insane but it looks good.

Movement seems to be key on selection between hardline and braded stainless. Any other thoughts?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can get a 37 degree flare tool from Summit for $40.00. You an use a combination of hard lines and stainless braided lines. I went with all stainless braided lines because I came across a good deal on a 40ft roll.

-B
Old 12-19-2006, 05:06 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiago
there is no pros and cons, just a preference. THe hard line **** I use is made by Swagelok, it is used in offshore equipment that the company I work for builds. It is bad *** **** rated for 10,000 psi, so it better never leak

I have ran 1/2" on the fuel system too, here are some pics:

Oil and vaccum/boost distribution with 1/4". 316 stainless. Have 1/2" hardline under the car up to teh engine bay, -8 braided from there.

On this car I have 1/2" stainless hard line in and out of eaech fuel rail and the x over in the back, it still transitions to braided line before going back, engine has to move

I personally much rather work with hard line, its easy to bend, easy to seal, and its reliable. At least the **** I work with is Braided line on the other hand is a real ************ and if I had the choice I would never touch the **** again.
Pretty much what I do I like hard lines and will use them any way possible, but sometimes you need the flexability of a hose. I do like the Pro series Nylon reinforced hose also good for 200 PSI and 350 degrees and it is black so it just depends on what I and working on and the look I or the person is looking for. I rand a -8 stainless hardlines under my car also looks like GM would have done it LOL!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:13 AM
10 Second Club

Tiago the way you bent up your hard lines looks very professional!

Quick Reply: Hardline vs braided stainless pros and cons