Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New best with the trusty old D1SC today..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 07:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cablebandit
KP. do you have any cracks behind the cylinder liners in the aluminum? I was just wondering how your block was comparing to TwnTrboCE. Lingenfelter makes strengthened rocker arm stands which is supposed to help but i dont see how as the heads seem to leak at the bottom...never near the rocker stands. Now if we had some kind of rail/girdle that went across the bottom head bolts, maybe it would help. I hope that you can get something half way dependable so you can continue to make lots of passes. You are my motivation to keep going when I screw up. I see it CAN be done...fun at the track and stay together...."I" just cant do it yet OH...did you check your radiator cap by chance? Take a break and see what you can come up with. Spend some time with the family and let it sit a bit and maybe something will pop in mind when you least are looking for it. Nobody wants you to stop though....you are our hero!!
I dont have the time to be a hero, I'm just having fun and when the fun stops you will see lots of parts for sale I dont expect a car like this to last forever though so I'm not complaining, its been a lot of fun to this point and pretty trouble free but things do wear out, even expensive things..

Made the mistake of buying me a new truck and trailer this year, figured the car was holding up well so it would last another season at 15-17psi - well I guess it wont and now I have no 'car' money for a new engine. 'm not a big fan od running the car with it pushing that much water, if its making enough pressure (over 18psi since thats what the cap is rated at) in there to blow that much into the overflow in 9 seconds out that little hose I get paranoid about a radiator hose popping off or bursting and dumping 4 gallons on the ground at 150mph.

Put a brand new GM cap on it last summer when I thought thats all that was wrong with it when the first set of gaskets started leaking. Dont know what the lingenfelter thing is all about but its probably just to strenghten the rocker bosses so they dont pull the top of the intake port off.

Its possible it may have a cracked sleeve as well, I'll see what the gaskets look like when I take apart this week - luckily its not hard to take the heads off. I probably wont get these milled, I just put new springs/seals on them and sell them to someone cheap and they can get them milled for an N/A car. Have to see who has the biggest deck and beefiest castings, I believe the edelbrocks are the winners in that department..
Old 02-18-2007, 07:28 PM
9 Second Club

I hear ya on the water issue.....the thought of that is scary at 100mph let alone 150. I've got the solution...supposedly Tim Lynch has gone to running straight methanol. They removed the intercooler AND the water pump, freeze plugs, radiator...took 150# off the car. Dunno which car this is on but what i just heard 10 minutes ago. No water, no overflow I know this is a dumb idea but could a car using the cast truck manifolds have a little more head support/strength from them vs a car like yours with headers and the steel flange? Doubtful, just wondered. New truck...trailer and F1A...we know who has....umm HAD the money
Old 02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I used to run a filled block to the water pump holes and just water in the heads with a couple 30 psi pressure relief valves into a puke tank on gasoline. I would just make a pass, stick a hose in the filler and open the drains and a few minutes later it was cool. But that was a 'real' race car that had to be towed to staging and towed back after a pass Never ran the car on alcohol but 'm sure you will have to do some towing because after a pass even alcohol engines are pretty damn hot.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya know.... a little meth could probably pull those IATs down to around 100 peak. Who knows, that might be the little nudge to break the 8second mark with the D1. Great results as well, by the way
Old 02-18-2007, 08:16 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
Ya know.... a little meth could probably pull those IATs down to around 100 peak. Who knows, that might be the little nudge to break the 8second mark with the D1.
I could do it if I really wanted to, I could put the F1 on it and use the 3.7 pulley instead of the 4" I had the last time and be at 23psi or so and it WOULD do it - probably only once though I'll be happy with reliable 9.20-30s though with the D1 again for now..

it was just bad timing when I ran it with the F1A a few weeks ago, it was 75 degrees and if I would have done that yesterday when it was 45-50 degrees out it would have ran an eight for sure but thats racing..
Old 02-18-2007, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 289 Likes on 109 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default 9.17

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
Pushing water just means your runnin' with the big dogs now. I would guess most 8 sec. LS1's push water. I'm sure you could do some things to maybe extend the threshold a little. I'm curious to see how far the 6 bolt blocks extend the water pushing threshold.
That's what I am thinking, short of copper head gaskets and a .051" stainless wire ring in the block and reciever groove in the head there may not be a cheap solution except a NEW block or even the LSX block with the extra head bolts.

Too bad Felpro doesn't have their wire-loc gaskets for the LS1's. Although I find it hard to believe the MLS isn't holding up. Just wondering about detonation or block movement. Leaking water into the combustion chambers can create steam, which can really raise the cylinder pressure.

I would think that holding 20lbs or less would be doable with the LS1's, but I don't have any first hand experience with that to say one way or another.

Last edited by helicoil; 02-18-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
That's what I am thinking, short of copper head gaskets and a .051" stainless wire ring in the block and reciever groove in the head there may not be a cheap solution except a NEW block or even the LSX block with the extra head bolts.

Too bad Felpro doesn't have their wire-loc gaskets for the LS1's. Although I find it hard to believe the MLS isn't holding up. Just wondering about detonation or block movement. Leaking water into the combustion chambers can create steam, which can really raise the cylinder pressure.

I would think that holding 20lbs or less would be doable with the LS1's, but I don't have any first hand experience with that to say one way or another.
Well the gaskets themselves hold up fine, they are not burned or dmaged in any way and I have yet to see a drop of water in the cylinder.

I can start and drive the car around just fine and after a couple hot/cold cycles it will pull the water back in from the overflow just like its supposed to so most daily driven cars probably wouldnt even notice. I can probably go a lot longer if I just run 1/8 mile also, 1/4 mile is the killer sitting there at peak boost for what seems like forever while the IATs climb. On the stock PCM you could pull timing out as the IAT rose but you cant with this BS3 and thats one little thing that contributes to it I'm sure..
Old 02-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make higher pressure radiator caps...I would think about swapping to a higher pressure cap. Its solved issues for me in the past when a factory cap would push water way to easily.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
I dont think the o-rings will help with the MLS gaskets really.
If it didnt how are the Ohio Boys doing it?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:12 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
If it didnt how are the Ohio Boys doing it?
Well, they also have a resleeved block with a stronger deck and I also believe the heads they ran last year werent o-ringed. Plus they all stated several times that they would would push a good amount of water every pass as well. I think them using an A2W and meth is allowing them to go fatser with the lower IATs but they arent staying sealed up. They may be pushing twice as much water as I am and find it acceptable, I dont know the specifics and thats their business..

Probem with O-ringing steel gaskets is the steel doesnt compress like copper. I tried steel o-ring wire with the old .027 steel GM head gaskets with N2O SBC, iron heads and blocks and had zero luck, my old 377 nitrous 3rd gen was running 9.0s almost 20 years ago and I was going through anything to keep head gaskets on it. Copper gaskets and O-rings finally worked but there was always water leaking from somewhere with the copper ad retorques were a bitch. And thats with 5 bolts a cylinder and iron heads/block. Now granted an MLS gasket may work a little better and I'm not saying Mike Brown is wrong or his arent helping but IMO its not going to help my situation much if any. It costs me 300-400.00 these days to make a trip to a decent track plus whatever wears out on the car so before I try something that didnt work for me before I need a little more convincin'

You have the L19 head stud guys say those work, you have the 1/2" stud guys that say it works, you have the copper/o-ring guys who say that works, you have the MLS/regular stud guys that say that works fine, then you have the iron block guys that say that works, some say they hae zero issues with SCS head gaskets or phusion gasktets etc. I think it does work for them but I have neither the time or money to try every one. Its easy to pass it off on detonation or a bad tune but the bearings are still in this thing and how many other people are running nearly 150mph with a D1SC in a 3400lb under 350inch car so it cant be THAT far off. Matter of fact it didnt blow out any water with the F1A, 2.5 more peak boost, more timing, leaner a/f, hotter plugs, 112 fuel (fresh C-16 saturday) and +20 degrees IAT last month so putting the new gaskets on didnt help and in fact made things worse. It pushed maybe 1/2 a quart if that last month. Maybe I have a cracked sleeve or block, wont know until I take it apart but I can see the black OE sealer hanging out between the head and deck on a couple cylinders after two passes.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Motorboater

car looks awesome Kev, that mph is just beyond sick bro
Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
car looks awesome Kev, that mph is just beyond sick bro
Not any sicker then what your car should be running, if you still have it anyhow
Old 02-19-2007, 11:42 AM
9 Second Club

mikes ls2 block was stock and no orings and pushed a lot of water every pass....if i remember correctly. Kp, you wont have a big a/w tank in your passenger seat but a big overflow tank!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
.......and how many other people are running nearly 150mph with a D1SC in a 3400lb under 350inch car so it cant be THAT far off. Matter of fact it didnt blow out any water with the F1A, 2.5 more peak boost, more timing, leaner a/f, hotter plugs, 112 fuel (fresh C-16 saturday) and +20 degrees IAT last month so putting the new gaskets on didnt help and in fact made things worse. It pushed maybe 1/2 a quart if that last month. Maybe I have a cracked sleeve or block, wont know until I take it apart but I can see the black OE sealer hanging out between the head and deck on a couple cylinders after two passes.
Not many people are doing it KP...but if you are going to run Street Race with a safer setup, you'll see another one for sure....

I understand what you mean about the wire on the MLS not compressing. My deal is whats the difference in the gaskets the Diesel guys use? Material wise.

Another note here, the 372 cubic motor in the dyno section is aluminum block, Dart225 heads, stock size head studs, and Fel-Pro MLS gaskets. Its making about as much as you are FI. When the bottle gets tested next week, ill PM you with some results and the head gasket situation on it. Im as interested in a fix as you are. I dont want to push ANY amount of water when my car goes together. BTW, the car for Street Race is K9Kev's car. Im just helping out with it.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
mikes ls2 block was stock and no orings and pushed a lot of water every pass....if i remember correctly. Kp, you wont have a big a/w tank in your passenger seat but a big overflow tank!!!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=36

Thats what they have been running, at least thats what the says anyhow..

Na, I'm not sure what I will do but I may part it out and maybe jump over to the mustang camp for a while until I get bored. Fit in a lot better around here and a fox takes up way less garage space then this land yacht
Old 02-19-2007, 12:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Not many people are doing it KP...but if you are going to run Street Race with a safer setup, you'll see another one for sure....

I understand what you mean about the wire on the MLS not compressing. My deal is whats the difference in the gaskets the Diesel guys use? Material wise.

Another note here, the 372 cubic motor in the dyno section is aluminum block, Dart225 heads, stock size head studs, and Fel-Pro MLS gaskets. Its making about as much as you are FI. When the bottle gets tested next week, ill PM you with some results and the head gasket situation on it. Im as interested in a fix as you are. I dont want to push ANY amount of water when my car goes together. BTW, the car for Street Race is K9Kev's car. Im just helping out with it.
Dart 225s arent legal for street race though, as far as I know the only LS aftermarket head that is is dart 205s.

I'm not looking to do street race anyhow, I spent a lot of time getting the car to 3400lbs and I'll be damned if I'm going to run it at 3550 now. Nitrous can do it at 2900 or whatever but unless you do a dry shot with an aftermarket ECU/big injectors I dont think an LS will do well with a stock intake/single nozzle wet kit.

Only class I will run is the new EFI class but thats just a 9.50 index, I could run that all year no problem..

I have a feeling things are just getting a little warped on mine, I probably should have just milled the heads last time but after a while the block is going to get just as screwed as the heads. Kevin's car will probably last a while if its fresh, mine made it well into 100 passes before I noticed it pushing any water at all.

If I do keep it I'll most likely do an LS2 block with this crank and rods, drop the compression to 9.0 or so, +5 more degrees intake and exh @ .050 and use an XER cam. Not sure on what heads to use, the TFS heads are making nice numbers but I want the biggest baddest chunk of aluminum I can bolt on there

I really dont accept pushing water either but if it does a little I can live with it. For now its just going to sit, maybe I'll put a powerglide in it an dlighten it up more while I wait and see what everyone does this summer
Old 02-19-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=36...Na, I'm not sure what I will do but I may part it out and maybe jump over to the mustang camp for a while until I get bored...
NOOOO!!! I just bailed from my 03 Cobra after seeing setups like yours, Mike's, and LASTLS1's...Everyone and their dead cat are running Stangs, at least go old school or import or something...just not another bellybutton!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:29 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6techniques
NOOOO!!! I just bailed from my 03 Cobra after seeing setups like yours, Mike's, and LASTLS1's...Everyone and their dead cat are running Stangs, at least go old school or import or something...just not another bellybutton!
Did the old school route when it wasnt old school lol, had all the way up to 706 cubic inches But the neighbors wont tolerate that here..

I have seriously though of doing an import, seems like the atermarket is a lot stronger on that stuff that now. Always wanted one of those Lexus SCs with a poopra engine. Dont have to tell me about mustangs around here, most guys have 5-6 fox bodies not just one. I'm not kidding, I think last saturday there was 20 mustangs for every LSx car there and there was a few vette guys doing some testing. They are cheap, light and the rear suspension works on them - the 67-69 camaro of the new millenium
Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
Dart 225s arent legal for street race though, as far as I know the only LS aftermarket head that is is dart 205s.

I'm not looking to do street race anyhow, I spent a lot of time getting the car to 3400lbs and I'll be damned if I'm going to run it at 3550 now. Nitrous can do it at 2900 or whatever but unless you do a dry shot with an aftermarket ECU/big injectors I dont think an LS will do well with a stock intake/single nozzle wet kit.

Only class I will run is the new EFI class but thats just a 9.50 index, I could run that all year no problem..

I have a feeling things are just getting a little warped on mine, I probably should have just milled the heads last time but after a while the block is going to get just as screwed as the heads. Kevin's car will probably last a while if its fresh, mine made it well into 100 passes before I noticed it pushing any water at all.

If I do keep it I'll most likely do an LS2 block with this crank and rods, drop the compression to 9.0 or so, +5 more degrees intake and exh @ .050 and use an XER cam. Not sure on what heads to use, the TFS heads are making nice numbers but I want the biggest baddest chunk of aluminum I can bolt on there

I really dont accept pushing water either but if it does a little I can live with it. For now its just going to sit, maybe I'll put a powerglide in it an dlighten it up more while I wait and see what everyone does this summer
We arent running the 372 ci motor in that class. We know Dart heads arent legal. It will be an LS6 race ported head most likely.

I agree on the nitrous deal. A big dry kit like the one I had would work well. We have a full sponsor from Procharger to run their stuff so thats what we are using. 352 ci motor and a d1sc. But it will be blow through with a possible A/A intercooler on a Drag radial. We have to weigh 3275. I know we can make the power on motor before the blwereven with the .550 lift rul, to get us where the D1sc will make the rest of the power we need to make. We calculated we needed 900hp at 3400 to run in the class. But we will probably end up more then that. Power glide trans is what this car is setup for and we get to put weight where we want it. The ole saying goes, bend the rules far enough but not enough to break it

Last edited by V6 Bird; 02-19-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
. Dont have to tell me about mustangs around here, most guys have 5-6 fox bodies not just one. I'm not kidding, I think last saturday there was 20 mustangs for every LSx car there and there was a few vette guys doing some testing.

They are cheap, light and the rear suspension works on them - the 67-69 camaro of the new millenium

No crap and so are there parts to go fast too.....
Im thinking about one also.....

Quick Reply: New best with the trusty old D1SC today..