Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Thats really the answer I was looking for. My goal is 9.50's or so. Thanks for the reply.
I have no doubt that the twin turbo F body with the right forged engine and tuning will run in the mid 9's at around 150 MPH..............interesting times ahead for F body owners.

Peter
Old 04-05-2007, 04:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds very nice peter.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I need to win the lottory.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Freak-
I need to win the lottory.
if that were the case, i wouldnt have an fbody, tis true. ford gt-tt
Old 04-06-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't suppose that their will be a Y-pipe included that will run to the factory catback location?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SStolen
I don't suppose that their will be a Y-pipe included that will run to the factory catback location?
It does, they stated it will connect to the stock catback which I believe LS1Turbo (the other Aussie company) does not offer
Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the info on the turbos they are basically slightly tweaked mits 20gs.Thus the airflow specs of around 50 pounds per turbo or around 100 pounds total, times this by 10 and you get roughly 1000 engine hp. Turbos can usually be pushed a bit past factory ratings so you might even get close to 1000 rwhp out of these. My talon turbo is rated 65 pounds airflow thus 650 engine hp but have seen a dyno of 620whp from it and other ones like that with different size turbos.I run a 65 pound rated forced performance 3065 which is garrett turbo ball bearing water cooled.
Using better heads and cam and all that usually just lets you get same power at lower boost levels but again still might see 1000rwhp from these. The ar ratios look like you would get pretty fast spool up and decent top end. Its always a trade off on spool up and top end. I would expect these things to come in around 2500 and be full in by 3500 or sooner. Peter would likely know as they put these things on c5s and c6s.
The common t67 and all that stuff has bigger airflow and usually more lag. One thing not crazy about is that these turbos still need water cooling. Of course all the new ball bearing designs run water cooling as well,only the non ball bearing garett types use no water cooling making for a bit simpler and bit more reliable installation.Not a huge deal.I have no doubts these tweaked 20gs will do a good job for 99% of the people going with this kit. Its not a super hardcore race setup. For that its nice to go up much bigger on the turbos at the expense of course of lag and bottom end.
Much past 500rwhp on the street is very hard to hook up even on nitto drags and really running around on et street radials or slicks is not too smart anyway.So this 1000 hp stuff is pretty much track only use although guess in the higher gears this level of hp could be used a bit. Although the speeds involved to use 1000 hp on the street would involve instant jail time.
I have seen several turbo cars and twin cars at our local track. The one second gen twin turbo big block basically spins the et streets all the way down the track in just about every gear and usually runs a stupid high 130plus mph but not so great an et.
Still it makes for a good crowd pleaser.

The reason that 1000 or so is limit is that don't think mits makes much bigger than the 20gs. It woud be nice if you could just bolt on t67s or gt35rs or whatever but sounds like they might not bolt up to APS exhaust manifolds if they use a non stardard mounting flange. Maybe an adapter could do the trick but you don't want to mess up flow either.

The 20gs are considered a bit old tech now that the ball bearing turbos are out. Ball bearing will hold the spool better between shifts and can spin up a bit quicker as well. But the good old 20gs pushed many many cars like the dsms into the 10s and
should not be sold short.

I am still very interested in this kit and figure its plenty enough for a street car.
As as was said to be able to even use 1000 engine hp on the track will take a lot of suspension type of work to have any hope of putting that kind of power down.

Remember too that you can always put some spray on top of that kit to hit likely 1200 or more engine hp.For some reason also nitrous shots seem to work better than their ratings on turbo cars .So a 50 shot might add more than 50 to the total ,possibly since nitrous supercools the air charge?

Remember also the bigger the turbos generally the more lag or the more you will lose top end or bottom end if you tweak the ar rations. Now you can downshift to help out if you are in higher gears and use tricks like stutterboxes or antilag to get off the line better with bigger turbos. Autos can use bigger stall converters.Still daily driving with laggy turbos can be not that fun as you have less power off boost but off boost in a big v8 even at 9 to 1 is still going to be pretty decent compared to say a 2.0 litre off boost at 9 to 1.And off boost can save tickets and gas. Still its nice to have as low as spool as possible as you can still stay out of boost but not giving it as much throttle. I can see in the near future as they finish doing up turbos with things like magnetic bearings which will eliminate the need for oil or water cooling and give super fast spool and possible super low spool up rpms. Betting we will see these new turbos coming out in 5 to 10 years. That will be the turbo golden age.

Right now every design is a compromise in one area or other. I am pretty confident that APS setup will deliver on its promises.

Sorry to ramble in your thread Peter. Something else rookies do also mess up on is that its airflow that makes power not boost psi. You can say that the same turbo will make more power at higher psi generally until it goes so out of its effeciency that it just moves hot air. But you can't compare boost levels on different turbos.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
From the info on the turbos they are basically slightly tweaked mits 20gs.Thus the airflow specs of around 50 pounds per turbo or around 100 pounds total, times this by 10 and you get roughly 1000 engine hp. Turbos can usually be pushed a bit past factory ratings so you might even get close to 1000 rwhp out of these. My talon turbo is rated 65 pounds airflow thus 650 engine hp but have seen a dyno of 620whp from it and other ones like that with different size turbos.I run a 65 pound rated forced performance 3065 which is garrett turbo ball bearing water cooled.
Using better heads and cam and all that usually just lets you get same power at lower boost levels but again still might see 1000rwhp from these. The ar ratios look like you would get pretty fast spool up and decent top end. Its always a trade off on spool up and top end. I would expect these things to come in around 2500 and be full in by 3500 or sooner. Peter would likely know as they put these things on c5s and c6s.
The common t67 and all that stuff has bigger airflow and usually more lag. One thing not crazy about is that these turbos still need water cooling. Of course all the new ball bearing designs run water cooling as well,only the non ball bearing garett types use no water cooling making for a bit simpler and bit more reliable installation.Not a huge deal.I have no doubts these tweaked 20gs will do a good job for 99% of the people going with this kit. Its not a super hardcore race setup. For that its nice to go up much bigger on the turbos at the expense of course of lag and bottom end.
Much past 500rwhp on the street is very hard to hook up even on nitto drags and really running around on et street radials or slicks is not too smart anyway.So this 1000 hp stuff is pretty much track only use although guess in the higher gears this level of hp could be used a bit. Although the speeds involved to use 1000 hp on the street would involve instant jail time.
I have seen several turbo cars and twin cars at our local track. The one second gen twin turbo big block basically spins the et streets all the way down the track in just about every gear and usually runs a stupid high 130plus mph but not so great an et.
Still it makes for a good crowd pleaser.

The reason that 1000 or so is limit is that don't think mits makes much bigger than the 20gs. It woud be nice if you could just bolt on t67s or gt35rs or whatever but sounds like they might not bolt up to APS exhaust manifolds if they use a non stardard mounting flange. Maybe an adapter could do the trick but you don't want to mess up flow either.

The 20gs are considered a bit old tech now that the ball bearing turbos are out. Ball bearing will hold the spool better between shifts and can spin up a bit quicker as well. But the good old 20gs pushed many many cars like the dsms into the 10s and
should not be sold short.

I am still very interested in this kit and figure its plenty enough for a street car.
As as was said to be able to even use 1000 engine hp on the track will take a lot of suspension type of work to have any hope of putting that kind of power down.

Remember too that you can always put some spray on top of that kit to hit likely 1200 or more engine hp.For some reason also nitrous shots seem to work better than their ratings on turbo cars .So a 50 shot might add more than 50 to the total ,possibly since nitrous supercools the air charge?

Remember also the bigger the turbos generally the more lag or the more you will lose top end or bottom end if you tweak the ar rations. Now you can downshift to help out if you are in higher gears and use tricks like stutterboxes or antilag to get off the line better with bigger turbos. Autos can use bigger stall converters.Still daily driving with laggy turbos can be not that fun as you have less power off boost but off boost in a big v8 even at 9 to 1 is still going to be pretty decent compared to say a 2.0 litre off boost at 9 to 1.And off boost can save tickets and gas. Still its nice to have as low as spool as possible as you can still stay out of boost but not giving it as much throttle. I can see in the near future as they finish doing up turbos with things like magnetic bearings which will eliminate the need for oil or water cooling and give super fast spool and possible super low spool up rpms. Betting we will see these new turbos coming out in 5 to 10 years. That will be the turbo golden age.

Right now every design is a compromise in one area or other. I am pretty confident that APS setup will deliver on its promises.

Sorry to ramble in your thread Peter. Something else rookies do also mess up on is that its airflow that makes power not boost psi. You can say that the same turbo will make more power at higher psi generally until it goes so out of its effeciency that it just moves hot air. But you can't compare boost levels on different turbos.
Very well said and my exact thoughts on this kit. I have it for my 05 GTO and had the same concerns as many here- everything from Inall to turbo flow/hp potential and lack of more thorough turbo specs- hell, to be honest- even Peters sales pitches had me leery. I am not one to usually deal with people who I feel are "talkers", but hey- it is his job and the product spoke for itself with me. Besides, Peter turned out to be a pretty cool guy after all!!

As for the turbo, I had a feeling it was a 20G wheel from the get go going by the numbers given, and after seeing it- I swear, it sure as hell "looks" like a 20G. If you wanted to upgrade, I'm sure Robert from FP could work some magic on it!

Overall, as said above, this kit is going to be more than enough for 99% of the people out there who are interested. It is not equal to, nor does it claim to be equal to say a full race, twin T76 setup or anything- but if you are going that far, buying a manufactured turbo kit is the least of your concerns .

I do think the exhaust housings are going to limit some flow up top on big power setups, but again- if you are going that far, I doubt you'd be buying a pre made kit anyway. You also have to realize that peoples idea of "big numbers" is going to vary- I know people who think anything over 500 is insane and would say the stock APS kit on a stock motor is overkill, and I know people that would laugh at the kit and make some comment on it barely being fit for their lawn tractor lol.

When Peter refers to "high power", "big turbos", etc., some may misunderstand what he is saying- sure, they are relatively small turbos in many of the big dogs eyes, but the kit wasn't made for them . As I said on the GTO forum- for a "bolt it in and go" turbo kit- this is hands down, the best quality I have ever seen in a turbo kit and will be tame enough for your "mild" 5-600 hp setup, yet still provide plenty of snot for those who want more. If you are looking for **BIG** numbers, come on now- do you really think you should be looking at a $5k kit- your turbos alone are going to cost a big part of that at that level .. Overall, this kit will provide the bang promised, that's for sure and the quality, attention to detail, instructions and packaging are second to none!!

I don't have many, but I'll attach a few pics of my kit and installed pics for you guys. The kit was so "stealthy", that I was even able to hack the stock air box in place . Hope this helps some!
Joe
Attached Thumbnails F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01425.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01424.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01427.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01433.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01447.jpg  

F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01449.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01438.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01441.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01439.jpg   F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing 95 inc free delvery-dsc01442.jpg  

Last edited by kwiksilverz; 04-07-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by peter@aps
You will need to purchase the latest generation BMR K Member (that is NOT supplied in the twin turbo system) and a fuel system to suport your intended power level, that's about all you require for the twin turbo install. An upgraded clutch with higher clamp load would also be recommended for a stick shift trans.

Peter
So you're saying this kit will not fit fbodies with the stock K Member? I hope that's not the case...
Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
So you're saying this kit will not fit fbodies with the stock K Member? I hope that's not the case...
The stock K member's a POS anyway. With the BMR K member you'll never have to fish for screws again!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F-BodyHottie
The stock K member's a POS anyway. With the BMR K member you'll never have to fish for screws again!
great point

I probably have some screws still there
Old 04-08-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Yeah, there is no room with the stock k member for the turbos. I believe this isn't the only F body kit that requires an aftermarket k member due to space limitations with the stock unit?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
It does, they stated it will connect to the stock catback which I believe LS1Turbo (the other Aussie company) does not offer
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you saying it comes with a y pipe or will just connect to the stock one or just the stock cat back with an ORY?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would be willing to bet it connects to the stock cat-back, not the stock Y, just by the placement of everything. Besides, the stock Y would kill this thing performance wise, so I'm pretty sure you'll get decent down pipes like the GTO kit has.
Joe
Old 04-08-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

^ that would rock.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F-BodyHottie

I thought I was the only one that had done that.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Trust
^ that would rock.
I'd wait for final pics, but APS doesn't skimp- so I wouldn't doubt it is as I described . BTW- your car looks killer, I miss my F bodies . Maybe I'll pick another one up, always wanted a TA, but always had Z's.
Joe
Old 04-08-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
I'd wait for final pics, but APS doesn't skimp- so I wouldn't doubt it is as I described . BTW- your car looks killer, I miss my F bodies . Maybe I'll pick another one up, always wanted a TA, but always had Z's.
Joe
Thanks man! Z's are awesome though, gotta love the F-bodies!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heh, got my TT GTO in the garage waiting on my pistons and rods to get here so I can finish my motor and I have been searching auto trader all day looking for a trans am after seeing your pic- THANKS!!! lol
Joe
Old 04-09-2007, 01:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

installing this kit right now on a 06 gto and was wondering if there was a company that makes gaskets for the manifold and downpipes? would prefer not to use copper silicone but i cant figure out what type of turbo they are to try and match a gasket.

Quick Reply: F Body intercooled twin turbo system - preliminary pricing $5495 inc free delvery