Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Kenne Bell supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I want to thank jimbob for posting the link to Cory's build, I got to compare the side view pics of his Truck unit versus the C5 unit I posted on the first page of this tread, and you can definitely see that the truck kit has a thick (.75+") spacer between the compressor and the intercooler thus the reason why Cory's was almost an inch taller than I was expecting. So as long as the C5/hotrod kit doesn't come with the spacer, there "should" be enough room if you do a little cowl massaging.

Once you get the sc to fit in the car the next problem is the belt system, if you don't want to switch to C5 accessory drive (which I don't because it mounts the alternator up high) you would have to some how shim the blower pulley OUT .88" to line up with the Fbody accessory drive (as per magnusons website http://www.magnusonproducts.com/imag...-CAMARO-TR.jpg ). You would also have to shim out the belt tensioner setup that comes with the kit and make sure it clears the placement of all the Fbody accessories.

I have already emailed Kenne Bell about the shimming and belt tensioner clearing an Fbody accessory drive, but haven't gotten a response and it's been about 2 weeks.

I really don't see why Kenne Bell would be opposed to making the "hotrod" kit more universal like Whipple did and design it to work with the Fbody accessory drive. Especially since MANY takeout LS1's that go in hotrods come out of Fbodys and not corvettes, their hotrod kit really isn't catered to the majority of LS1 hotrods. Then I wouldn't have any other reasons not to buy this SC, the accessory drive is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger with the KB.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:39 AM
FormerVendor

I was just on the phone with Jim Bell about 2 hours ago.. If you want, give me specifics as to what you need, and I will ask him.

I do remember a conversation we were having about 8 months ago, and he mentioned that he had the ability to shim the drive on the unit as much as he needed. I'm sure .88 wouldnt be a problem at all.

On a lighter note..... MY MOTOR IS FINALLY DONE!!!

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
First I want to thank jimbob for posting the link to Cory's build, I got to compare the side view pics of his Truck unit versus the C5 unit I posted on the first page of this tread, and you can definitely see that the truck kit has a thick (.75+") spacer between the compressor and the intercooler thus the reason why Cory's was almost an inch taller than I was expecting. So as long as the C5/hotrod kit doesn't come with the spacer, there "should" be enough room if you do a little cowl massaging.

Once you get the sc to fit in the car the next problem is the belt system, if you don't want to switch to C5 accessory drive (which I don't because it mounts the alternator up high) you would have to some how shim the blower pulley OUT .88" to line up with the Fbody accessory drive (as per magnusons website http://www.magnusonproducts.com/imag...-CAMARO-TR.jpg ). You would also have to shim out the belt tensioner setup that comes with the kit and make sure it clears the placement of all the Fbody accessories.

I have already emailed Kenne Bell about the shimming and belt tensioner clearing an Fbody accessory drive, but haven't gotten a response and it's been about 2 weeks.

I really don't see why Kenne Bell would be opposed to making the "hotrod" kit more universal like Whipple did and design it to work with the Fbody accessory drive. Especially since MANY takeout LS1's that go in hotrods come out of Fbodys and not corvettes, their hotrod kit really isn't catered to the majority of LS1 hotrods. Then I wouldn't have any other reasons not to buy this SC, the accessory drive is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger with the KB.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

so if they can shim the drive on the unit then it can work with Fbody accessories,youd just have to worry about belt routing?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be great if you could address this question to him...

To make the "Hot Rod" kit more universal, and give us Fbody guys less work to do and less parts to buy, can they make a second "Hot Rod" kit that work with the Fbody accessory drive? And make sure and offer the 8 rib upgrade as an option with that kit too.

All it would require is shimming the blower pulley out .88" and making sure the tensioner setup will work correctly with the rest of the Fbody Accessories. That is all we would need to make this a viable option to the other supercharger and turbo kits out there, I don't think they would want to make a kit specifically for the Fbodys so just a 2nd Hot Rod kit would be enough to sell me.
Thanks!!

So are you trying to even MORE power from you engine, or was this just to make it more reliable?

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
I was just on the phone with Jim Bell about 2 hours ago.. If you want, give me specifics as to what you need, and I will ask him.

I do remember a conversation we were having about 8 months ago, and he mentioned that he had the ability to shim the drive on the unit as much as he needed. I'm sure .88 wouldnt be a problem at all.

On a lighter note..... MY MOTOR IS FINALLY DONE!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 05:02 AM
Teching In

Any installed pics or sizes yet? Us Aussie's are eager aswell.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:02 AM
FormerVendor

Ok.....

Do you want the good news?? Or the good news??

I spent some time on the phone with Jim today, and he said he would be willing to lend a little help on a head unit/manifold setup for the F-Body....

Now before you start freaking out, there are a few things that need to be figured out..

He said yes he can space the drive out .88. He said that he can machine the oil seal/spacer in house on the first one, but he would have to have them custom made out of Sweden or something. This would take about 30 days (IF there was enough intrest.)

So the pulley/drive spacing is all handled.

Also, according to Jim, the Maggie and KB are almost identical in overall height. Theres 2 things that need to be taken into consideration though. 1) How far does the KB sit back on the manifold in relation to the Maggie. 2) Being that the KB is a "Traditional Mount" blower, the T/B ends up being on the side. This means its obviously WIDE. I am not familiar enough with the F-body to what how bad that affects things. (these questions are from me, not him.)

Someone mentioned to me about a different tensioner setup on the F-body. Any additional info would be VERY helpfull..

This DOES NOT mean that KB is going to start making an F-Body kit. This means that KB has said they will do what they can to assist in making a KB tuner kit available.

PLEASE, dont everyone start calling Kenne Bell.. This was a very very general phone conversation, and NOT an agreement to start making a kit...

That would be great if you could address this question to him...

To make the "Hot Rod" kit more universal, and give us Fbody guys less work to do and less parts to buy, can they make a second "Hot Rod" kit that work with the Fbody accessory drive? And make sure and offer the 8 rib upgrade as an option with that kit too.

All it would require is shimming the blower pulley out .88" and making sure the tensioner setup will work correctly with the rest of the Fbody Accessories. That is all we would need to make this a viable option to the other supercharger and turbo kits out there, I don't think they would want to make a kit specifically for the Fbodys so just a 2nd Hot Rod kit would be enough to sell me.
Thanks!!

So are you trying to even MORE power from you engine, or was this just to make it more reliable?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds great, but now the question is will it cost MORE to have the Hot Rod kit made to fit the Fbody accessory drive. I just found some information that GM Performance parts is now selling an accessory drive kit using all the C5 stuff for relatively cheap...
Corvette C5 Accessory Mount Kit From GM: PN 19155066 (19155067 for LS2/7) $675 Dealer Cost
12572188 Serp Belt
12569528 A/C Belt
12568181 Tensioner
12560345 A/C Tensioner
12557334 A/C Idler
1137031 A/C Compressor
12556444 A/C Compressor Bracket
15261472 P/S Pump (Reman)
12555222 P/S Bracket
12578068 Alt + P/S Pump Bracket
12555693 P/S Pump Brace
12559890 P/S Pump Pulley
10353440 Alternator
26046502 P/S Reservoir
This kit would give you everything BRAND NEW and then you could use the Kenne Bell kit that is available right now! So if modifying the kit to work for the Fbody accessory drive costs more than $500 I think it would be worth just buying this kit. Uuuuuuughhhh, we just hear some good news then MORE news comes that might make that moot. My only reason to continue looking into the Fbody accessory drive is that fact that the Alternator is mounted down low on the engine and not up by the valve cover (C5).

Kenne Bell would have to get there hands on the Fbody accessory drive setup and mock one up to see what I was saying about their tensioner working on the Fbody stuff. I just don't know what their belt tensioner looks like and if it will interfere with any of the locations of the Fbody accessories. Thanks for looking into this for us though, I am still going to be keeping an eye out for any other info from KB if they decide to go ahead with a second hot rod kit.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

My only reason to continue looking into the Fbody accessory drive is that fact that the Alternator is mounted down low on the engine and not up by the valve cover (C5).
I'm pretty sure that the alternator will hit the shock tower using the vette bracket....
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

I really hope that they can work something out!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a picture of the kenne bell with the C5 accessory drive (which is shown on KB website), and another from a Turnkey Engine Supply crate engine that was at SEMA that shows their custom accessory drive. They still used the majority of the C5 brackets and parts, but modified a Fbody alternator bracket (machined .88" off to line it up) so they could mount the alternator down low and used some other belt tensioner. I emailed them to see if I could get more information on the setup, but no news yet. You can see why I want the lower mount alternator...
Attached Thumbnails Kenne Bell supercharger?-kbblower1.jpg   Kenne Bell supercharger?-kennebell_smaller.jpg  
Old 04-26-2007, 03:30 AM
FormerVendor

Call and ask for Cory or Colby (owner).. their some cool sunsa bitches. And they can machine anything your lil old heart desires. Their machine shop is TOP NOTCH..
Here is a picture of the kenne bell with the C5 accessory drive (which is shown on KB website), and another from a Turnkey Engine Supply crate engine that was at SEMA that shows their custom accessory drive. They still used the majority of the C5 brackets and parts, but modified a Fbody alternator bracket (machined .88" off to line it up) so they could mount the alternator down low and used some other belt tensioner. I emailed them to see if I could get more information on the setup, but no news yet. You can see why I want the lower mount alternator...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the side mounted alternator looks way to cluttered.IMO
Old 04-28-2007, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Why cant i be the owner of KB or Whipple so that i could make a twin screw for F-body's????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if the alternator is a problem why don't you guys use an alternator relocation bracket like the turbo guys use??? It would put it on the other side... Just a thought...
Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Let's keep this alive, maybe there really is some light at the end of the tunnel!

Edit: What about GTO accessories or something? Just throwing that out there.

Last edited by loloone; 05-17-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

sorry to bring back the dead, but anything new??
Old 07-17-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still haven't lost all hope. I've just been spending my money on other crap right now or I would be attempting to use one in my 95 TA. I would still like to know if anyone else has tried it yet?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Dun, Dun, Dunnnnn I'm bringing it back again! Any news, anything?
Old 12-08-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checking on this. Also, another question; Does anyone know how far the glass for the windshield goes into the cowl? Will clearancing the cowl to allow the KB to fit require also cutting the windshield or modifying the windshield wiper rod?

If I had the money, I would be putting it in right now, but sadly this is not the case.

I'm sure by the time I am able, in a couple years, to do this that there will be quite a few on the road.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering why the blower couldnt be mounted further forward with a manifold that hangs out past the front of the block. Mounting it far enough forward so you have to add a pulley on the end of the balancer would add quite a bit of space to the back. Maybe you couldnt intercool it but isnt the screw compressor efficient enough so that intercooling isnt an absolute requirement?

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell supercharger?