Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS6 or FAST intake worth it with Turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS6 or FAST intake worth it with Turbo setup?

My wastegate is set for 7.4psi but I'm really only seeing about 6 - 6.5 in the intake. I've confirmed I'm not leaking boost (accidently ran 12psi for a couple seconds...damn that was fast)

I'm wondering if the LS6 intake would be worth the $$ for a swap of the crappy LS1 intake on my 99 SS. If the intake is what is holding it back, another psi would be worth 20-25 hp and tq across the board...sort of.

A buddy of mine is letting one go for $250 and I'd like to jump on that if it's worth it. Any one have comparison dyno charts/track times...or just overall feel for the swap in general?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the boost # is basically the backpressure of air being fed into eng, an LS6 intake will flow better than an LS1 there for in theory should drop the press slightly, i opted to put the LS6 intake on everylittle bit helps.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm...

If a leak is not the problem, why is my car seeing less boost than the turbo is suppose to put out. The spring in the wastegate should control the boost properly at 7.4psi. It's not like the turbo is maxing out or anything... I'm just wondering if less resistance would help.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

could be an exhaust leak not letting the turbo build the boost???? a leak on either side will effect boost. are you running an intercooler???
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

So on the FMIC. Like I said though, when the WG was hooked up incorrectly, I ran 12psi. The WG is opening...you can really hear the change in pitch of the exhaust/mostly turbo (I love it btw )

At some point I'm going to check the piping and put an air compressor fitting to pressurize the pipes and use soap/water to check for leaks. Still though, the turbo should push ~~PSI to get the manifold to see that boost level the WG is set for...and I'm not getting it

If there is a leak, it's probably in my FMIC piping...I did it all myself, custom if you will, and it's quasi gangster. I should have just gone with TRT's kit.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes get the ls6
not the lsx intake.
especially for $250 thats a good price.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the intake. That's a good deal. How do you know your wastegate is set at 7.4 PSI? Is that what the spring is supposed to hold? If so, then you are losing .9 psi from the turbo to the intake. There could be some pressure loss, but also boost or exhaust leaks. If you have no leaks, get a manual boost controller (50 bucks) and turn it up to where you want.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

The spring in the wastegate is a .5 bar spring. I didn't want to use a boost controller b/c if it fails, there goes my engine .

I actually own an electronic and manual boost controller but they're not installed.

The wastegate is referenced from the manifold, so the turbo should put out that boost level right?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
The spring in the wastegate is a .5 bar spring. I didn't want to use a boost controller b/c if it fails, there goes my engine .

I actually own an electronic and manual boost controller but they're not installed.

The wastegate is referenced from the manifold, so the turbo should put out that boost level right?
Yep. I know what you're talking about. My tee going into my BC broke once and I boosted ever so briefly to 11 or 12 psi. If you are referenced to the manifold, you should be holding whatever your spring is set at. The manual BC would be a good way to test this though.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Before you do anything (especially changing the intake ), I would verify that your boost gauge is accurate using a second gauge.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Well, you're not using your boost gauge now ...let's see if it's right!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Teching In

I was thinking something like this. You can probably buy or rent one at a local auto supply.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

take the intake....well worth it.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Banned

hmmm...

If a leak is not the problem, why is my car seeing less boost than the turbo is suppose to put out. The spring in the wastegate should control the boost properly at 7.4psi. It's not like the turbo is maxing out or anything... I'm just wondering if less resistance would help.
b/c its not efficient. Speed inc did a test on one car and it was seeing 19psi at the turbo yet only 9 at the intake. No exhaust leaks, no couplings leaking. Going through an intercooler usually nets you a loss like you are seeing.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Banned

Your really are ignorant arent you?

If using a boost controller you use the smallest spring available for your wastegate. If the controller fails...its only running on whatever the smallest setting spring is. In our case, we have a 7 pound spring. When we use CO2 to help control the wastegate for our controller if the CO2 runs out we are still stuck with 7 psi..No more.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1936FordPU
Your really are ignorant arent you?

If using a boost controller you use the smallest spring available for your wastegate. If the controller fails...its only running on whatever the smallest setting spring is. In our case, we have a 7 pound spring. When we use CO2 to help control the wastegate for our controller if the CO2 runs out we are still stuck with 7 psi..No more.
A ruptured diaphragm in a boost controller could have the same effect as disconnecting the vac line to the wastegate... the wastegate will stay closed and the boost will skyrocket to the limits of the turbo.

Originally Posted by 1936FordPU
b/c its not efficient. Speed inc did a test on one car and it was seeing 19psi at the turbo yet only 9 at the intake. No exhaust leaks, no couplings leaking. Going through an intercooler usually nets you a loss like you are seeing.
Of course there is a pressure drop across the intercooler, but pdan has already stated that he is referencing his wastegate from the intake, not from the compressor... So the pressure drop is accounted for and he should see whatever his spring is set to.

Again, changing the intake is not the answer (although it couldn't hurt) and neither is adding a boost controller. Get a second gauge, check yours for accuracy, if it's ok then check the boost at the wastegate and compressor.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Teching In

it's probably in my FMIC piping...I did it all myself, custom if you will
Uhhhhh.... actually I recall Britton and Eric and I doing a lot of that work. Not that I want to take credit for a crappy job, but still. Girl, you better recognize.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow fordpu is a tard...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
wow fordpu is a tard...
Old 05-26-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jlander82
Uhhhhh.... actually I recall Britton and Eric and I doing a lot of that work. Not that I want to take credit for a crappy job, but still. Girl, you better recognize.
That's ancillary information you bum! The fact of the matter is...the kit "WE" put together on "MY" car is custom. I should have spared us all the time and effort and just got the kit from TRT. It would have only cost me like $250 more about 2 weekends less worth of work Plus, they use aluminum vs steel like we did...MUCH LIGHTER!

Ya, FordPU aka ***** are constantly in my mouths is quite the jerk/d-bag. He really does go out of his way to make others feel better about themselves . It's guys like you that keep me out of the TX forum b/c of all the d-baggery and whoredom. You offer no logical advice, no support or offer other recommendations. You just come in here to bad mouth people. You're a lynch on the system and a complete waste of space...GO BACK TO NEW ORLEANS!!

The incident you sited is completly isolated. Out of how many kits they've sold...one that we know of...maybe a couple others have had this problem?? I'm sure AFR or Vortech or comp cams, etc, etc had a few isolated issues along the road!

Exactly what Erichughes said...if the ring inside the boost controller snaps, potentially, you're screwed via over-boosting.

Quick Reply: LS6 or FAST intake worth it with Turbo setup?