Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo lt1 headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default turbo lt1 headers?

Im looking into building a turbo kit for my car. Only thing thats stopping me is the BS header deal. Does anyone make a set of headers for lt1 cars that dont cost $1000+? I seen one guy used truck headers but still had to mod the drivers side to clear the steering shaft. Are there any bolt-on turbo headers i can buy and be done with that part or is it going to be all fabbed up headers??

Last edited by Taubr Unit; 02-20-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent seen any headers for lt1 for less than 1k and I
Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Think they use those the truck manifolds on ls1 only.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is some help for ya... you can use stock cast manifolds, or dual cat shorty headers, and just weld on yor flange (like a Vband flange instead of the flanges that come on those headers or manifolds).

Some good headers are:

BBK shorties
Edelbrock shorties
dual cat SLP headers

No mods needed to the headers except the swapping out the flanges that connected to the y-pipe (and even that you dont need to change).
Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice, i know "dragframe" on here that made a pretty nice set-up using truck headers off a truck but needed to move one of the pipes on the drivers side to clear the steering shaft.. heres the thread.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/610502-turbo-lt1-figured-you-guys-would-like-see-56k-beware.html But i dont really want to do that work. Just wondering if you know FOR SURE if thoes headers fit and clear everything with no modding done. If so ill buy them and start my turbo build.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
Just wondering if you know FOR SURE if thoes headers fit and clear everything with no modding done. If so ill buy them and start my turbo build.
Of course they do... they are LT1 headers I am talking about (not truck headers or a different vehicle). You just ditch the y-pipe and make your own merge/crossover and run that to the front.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

I know they will bolt on but will they clear everything is the question. Or what about stock manifolds back on. There pretty short and should clear everything im thinking.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I know they will bolt on but will they clear everything is the question. Or what about stock manifolds back on. There pretty short and should clear everything im thinking.
Not trying to be a dick, but I dont understand what you arent getting. If you use an LT1 fbody header, then clearly it must clear everything in an LT1 fbody car (including the steering shaft). You must run the headers in the stock spot (meaning driver's side on dr. side and pass. side on pass. side). The rest is up to you how you want to run the piping to the front.

Headers wont need to be modified unless you want to swap out the flanges at the collector for better one. Primaries/collector are good as is
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I am going to be running stock manifolds flipped around. The biggest downside to that is losing the ac but the price was very right. Later on I might pick up a set of cheap shorty headers and have them modified to work for a little better power but that would be well down the road.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

RealQuick, I think what he is getting at, is he wants header that will clear everything when put on pointing FORWARD, not stock

I build Dragframe's turbo setup and I did have to modify the drivers side to clear, but I think he said he found a set that might have fit without modifying them, but you would have to ask him.

here is what I ended up with, as you can see, only 2 pipes had to be modifyed.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kbracing96
RealQuick, I think what he is getting at, is he wants header that will clear everything when put on pointing FORWARD, not stock
[/IMG]
Oh... it didnt say it had to be out the front in his post, so i assumed he is just looking for a header that doesnt need to be modified. My bad.

If thats the case, then the SLP dual cat headers (swapped sides) should work. You will need to cut the flange off the one that goes to the pass. side because it will hit the motor mount.

Cast manifolds need to be done the same way as mentioned with the SLP's.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kbracing96

I build Dragframe's turbo setup and I did have to modify the drivers side to clear, but I think he said he found a set that might have fit without modifying them, but you would have to ask him.

here is what I ended up with, as you can see, only 2 pipes had to be modifyed.
exactely, i want some headers flipped that clears everything, sorry man

If i buy a set of thoes headers can i ship them to you to mod them up for my lt1 car? I like thoes the best out of everything else iv seen. And my engine bay is 100% gutted, no a/c p/s heat etc. so i have a **** ton of room to play with. Can you make me a set of thoes headers if i send you some to mod up?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

exactely, i want some headers flipped that clears everything, sorry man
Its cool. My bad for not understanding.

If i buy a set of thoes headers can i ship them to you to mod them up for my lt1 car? I like thoes the best out of everything else iv seen. And my engine bay is 100% gutted, no a/c p/s heat etc. so i have a **** ton of room to play with. Can you make me a set of thoes headers if i send you some to mod up?
Here is the thing, who is building the rest of the kit for you? If you are going to do it, then you would have access to a welder right? If so, the only thing you would do is cut the 3 bolt flanges off the headers and weld on vband flanges. I dont have a jig or anything. I just cut them off and weld them on. The pass. side would need a little measuring to be sure the new flange you weld on clears the motor mount (shouldnt be an issue).

My point is, you just weld on new flanges at the collector (which will bolt to your merge pipe). Nothing special required. I will weld the flanges on if you want me too... just send me the headers and vbands. Its just funny to me that if you are gponna build your own kit, doing this step will be the easiest thing you will do.

I'll take a pic tonight showing the header on the pass. side. Here is a pic of the header in question (except i kep it on the driver's side). You can see I just cut off the 3 bolt flange and tack welded on a vband flange.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

What headers are thoes (impala headers)? I have access to everything but a tubing bender if i need to bend anything special. And find a tubing kit somewhere with a lot of different bends and what not. I have a ton of room to work with under my hood, the manifolds are the biggest hump right now to get over. I figure im gonna sell my LTs and use that money to get these up and going. Then go from there.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

What headers are thoes (impala headers)? I have access to everything but a tubing bender if i need to bend anything special. And find a tubing kit somewhere with a lot of different bends and what not. I have a ton of room to work with under my hood, the manifolds are the biggest hump right now to get over. I figure im gonna sell my LTs and use that money to get these up and going. Then go from there.
That is the driver's side header of the SLP dual cat 96-97 FBODYLT1 headers. The pass side one is in the pic below. You would flip flop these headers so they both come out torward the front.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Heres all the room i have to work with, lots!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

These look almost identical to how you had to mod that other set with how the pipe runs up and over. There headers for a tahoe, i just wonder how thick the tubes are and how fast thell crack....

Old 02-21-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

These look almost identical to how you had to mod that other set with how the pipe runs up and over. There headers for a tahoe, i just wonder how thick the tubes are and how fast thell crack....

Steering knuckle area on the primary will probably need to be modified, plus the pass. side one looks like it will come down right into your low mount alt.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to do a little mocking up tomorrow. I have an idea, but I'm not sure it's going to work. I found an old SBC header around the shop today. I was looking at it and it kind of hit me that it would be perfect for a turbo header. Really quickly I put it in place and sure enough the back primary hit the steering shaft. I'm thinking about doing what dragframe did and move that primary. Then on the passenger's side I have a hooker shorty that I'll be running in its normal position. I want to make a crossover that brings the passenger side under the oil pan or around the back and come out under the driver's manifold. Then put the turbo where the stock intake goes. I'm not sure about a downpipe yet, but this was just about 1 minute worth of looking at it.

Illustrated below:

I don't know if this is much of a help for you because you aren't concerned with keeping the AC where as I am, but it is another turbo LT1 idea.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a picture of the one I was talking about last night. I headed down to the shop to check it out today, but was hindered by a previous owner breaking a header bolt off in the head:

Quick Reply: turbo lt1 headers?