Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice indeed.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking very nice!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

WOW man lets just hope the car runs just as good the engine bay look.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the comps guys.

I'm still gathering the last couple little pieces to the puzzle before I start her up. I now have the tensioner pulley and the belt should be here any day so that should get mounted this week. I'll post pics of how I set it up when I'm done. It should have enough room for a 75mm belt but for now I just went with a 36mm for test fitting to make sure I didn't waste $200 on a belt that's the wrong size, this temp one only cost $30 so it will be a good tester.

I also ran into a little problem with my starter. I wanted to try cranking it over without the coils hooked up just to make sure everything is ready but when I try to crank it over the starter does nothing. I think it's a wiring issue but I'm not sure where to start to track it down. Everything electrical seems to be working except the starter. The battery has 12 volts and the guages all come on, fuel pump primes and then when I turn the key the guages all seem to go off and nothing happens, no sound from the starter or anything. As soon as I release the key everything goes back to normal. Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 AM
8 Second Club

Starter relay, or wiring from relay to solenoid/starter. Should be pretty easy to figure out.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by veee8
Starter relay, or wiring from relay to solenoid/starter. Should be pretty easy to figure out.
Thanks for the info. I know this sounds silly that I built this car but I don't understand something as simple as the starter but that is indeed the case. Is there any way to describe where/what I should be looking for? It's kind of a mess down there with the wiring. I'm pretty sure I hooked the starter up right but I'm just going off memory from when I took it off. I guess a picture really is worth a 1000 words lol.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

For some reason I'm thinking I might be missing a ground, is one of the cables comming off the starter going to the frame or another grounding source that may not be attatched since I removed the engine? I'm pretty sure I hooked up the same cables on the starter that I took off, I'm just wondering if maybe the other end isn't hooked up. So many things got deleted that there are some extra things that never got hooked back up and I'm just thinking maybe there is a missing ground wire in the mix. I guess my best bet is to get back under there and track everything down.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Try dropping the starter and see if it turns over without a load on it.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Try dropping the starter and see if it turns over without a load on it.
If your thinking the motor won't turn over, that's not the case, it turns fairly easy by hand. It's like the starter just isn't doing anything when I turn the key.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the starter out and hard wire jump it. That will tell you if the starter is any good or not. But I'd check the relay first as mentioned above. Your relays are under your hood near the drivers side headlight. There are a couple boxes there. Take the covers off and the relays are labeled on the bottom side of the lid. Switch the starter relay out with another one and see if that does the trick. If so, the relay is bad and you need to replace it.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Take the starter out and hard wire jump it. That will tell you if the starter is any good or not. But I'd check the relay first as mentioned above. Your relays are under your hood near the drivers side headlight. There are a couple boxes there. Take the covers off and the relays are labeled on the bottom side of the lid. Switch the starter relay out with another one and see if that does the trick. If so, the relay is bad and you need to replace it.
Ah, that's what I was looking for, thanks. That's a great starting point. I knocked those boxes around pretty good when I was routing my pipe through that hole over there. Maybe I just knocked something loose. I'll check it out when I get home from work. Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Sounds like it could be in the neutral safety switch, you did all that stuff to the shifter. The car may think it's in gear. Just a thought..
Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kgaligher
Sounds like it could be in the neutral safety switch, you did all that stuff to the shifter. The car may think it's in gear. Just a thought..
This is a good point, I did try to wire up the neutral safety switch to the shifter. There are two switches on the shifter, one for nuetral saftey and one for reverse lights. I didn't know which was which so I had to guess. If I reversed them would it not start in park? What does the nuetral saftey switch even do? I mainly just wanted my reverse lights but while I was wiring everything up I figured I might as well hook them both up. I didn't get a chance to go out there today so at least now I have a few ideas to try tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I forgot a ground on the pass side and we had a slow crank situation maybe that is your issue ,even though yous dose nothing it may be worth running a cable from the block to the frame .
Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Teching In

The neutral safety switch will not let the car start in gear. When the car is in gear and you try to start it everything goes dead in crank mode then comes back on when you release. On the wiring, I'm not sure without looking at it.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kgaligher
The neutral safety switch will not let the car start in gear. When the car is in gear and you try to start it everything goes dead in crank mode then comes back on when you release. On the wiring, I'm not sure without looking at it.
My bet is on this since I thought I hooked everything up right for the starter but I know I just took a guess on the switches on the shifter. It was a coin toss, I guess I lost lol. At least it will be easy to try this first, I can just reverse the switchs and hopefully I'll have a working starter. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll follow up tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rufretic
I'll follow up tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 AM
8 Second Club

yes you can reverse the switches ( actually yo just swap the wires from one switch to the other). if that doesn't work , check that the signal wire going to the starter didn't slide off its terminal ( happened to me a few times), its the thin wire that uses a spade connector on its end .

there should also be a ground wire ( more like cable) sharing the crank position sensor bolt. make sure you have that there ( behind the starter).
Old 09-03-2008, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
yes you can reverse the switches ( actually yo just swap the wires from one switch to the other). if that doesn't work , check that the signal wire going to the starter didn't slide off its terminal ( happened to me a few times), its the thin wire that uses a spade connector on its end .

there should also be a ground wire ( more like cable) sharing the crank position sensor bolt. make sure you have that there ( behind the starter).
Thanks dirty, I think I missed that ground on the sensor bolt, maybe my switches are good. Now I have a good amount of things to go over and check today so hopefully I can get it sorted out.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 AM
10 Second Club

good luck man when i built my motor it took me 3 dau to find out why it would not start! come to found out i had a bad ground and a alt wire wrong

Quick Reply: LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)